PDA

View Full Version : Hurt - NIN or Johnny Cash version?

plb
September 10th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Bored..Which version of the song do you prefer?

zenwhen
September 10th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Cash

tgalati4
September 10th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Definitely Cash.

n3tfury
September 10th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Johnny Cash.

danny joe ritchie
September 10th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Mr. Cash

Ender Black
September 10th, 2007, 03:21 AM
I wonder if members of bands grimaced when Johnny covered one of their songs or were flattered by it. They knew that Cash was going to school them on their own song... But to answer the OP.... duh, Cash.:guitar:

boarderpatrol
September 10th, 2007, 03:22 AM
man in Black. CASH

:guitar:

nonewmsgs
September 10th, 2007, 03:35 AM
I wonder if members of bands grimaced when Johnny covered one of their songs or were flattered by it. They knew that Cash was going to school them on their own song... But to answer the OP.... duh, Cash.:guitar:

they're both very good and i would go as far as to say equally good. and i really think that trent would take it as a huge compliment that cash took his song.

Medieval_Creations
September 10th, 2007, 03:37 AM
"The Man In Black"

~LoKe
September 10th, 2007, 03:39 AM
NIN. Definitely NIN. Cash's version is not even close to being as depressing as NIN's.

lisati
September 10th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Can't say I've heard the NIN version, so it'll have to be Cash

~LoKe
September 10th, 2007, 03:43 AM
they're both very good and i would go as far as to say equally good. and i really think that trent would take it as a huge compliment that cash took his song.

Heh.

In an interview with Alternative Press, Reznor admitted that when Rubin first asked if Cash could cover his song, he was "flattered" but worried that "the idea sounded a bit gimmicky." The power of Cash's cover didn't fully hit Reznor until he saw the video:
“ I pop the video in, and wow… Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps… Wow. I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore… It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [Somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning—different, but every bit as pure.[2] ”

Reznor still occasionally refers to "Hurt" as "a song that isn't mine anymore."

Kingsley
September 10th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Youtube me.

multifaceted
September 10th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Cash did it very well, a tremendous feat! Nonetheless, Trent conceived it, and NIN's version is most raw... which is the emotion that the song is trying to evoke.

mcduck
September 10th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Both are great, but I prefer the original.

tehkain
September 10th, 2007, 08:54 AM
NIN. Definitely NIN. Cash's version is not even close to being as depressing as NIN's.

Agreeing with this. I guess it is because I accept death with age better then dealing with early sad death due to lifes falls and suicide.

Spr0k3t
September 10th, 2007, 09:02 AM
My favorite version is Kermit. Please... this is NSFW... you've been warned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ta7mkgrOU

My reason for preferring the Kermit version... I can do a damn good Kermit, Rizzo, Fozzie, Mrs. Piggy, Sam Eagle, Dr. Bunsenhoneydo, Beaker, Sweedish Chef, and Gonzo impersination. That and the video is just sick and twisted.

curuxz
September 10th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Cash, it still amazes me that he did not write it, since it was the perfect final song for his life.

RIP a great man

diskotek
September 10th, 2007, 11:28 AM
NIN +1

viva trent raznor!

Hairy_Palms
September 10th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Cash, definately, and ive seen NIN perform it live. though NIN version is good and they get kudos for writing it, i just prefer the cash version.

Gustav
September 10th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Although I generally prefer NIN over Cash, I think the Cash version of this song is much better.

insane_alien
September 10th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Cash, but very closely followed by NIN. i have them both in .ogg so i don't care too much.

clash
September 10th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I Love NIN but theres not even competition here, Johnny all the way.

Rhubarb
September 10th, 2007, 01:11 PM
NIN for sure! Trent sings much emotion into the sad song.
+1 NIN

notwen
September 10th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Reznor's version, but I am more of a NIN fan than a Cash fan. I will say that Cash certainly did the song justice though. =]

bonzodog
September 10th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Definately Cash's version. The fact that Reznor was willing to let the song be Cash's after he heard it, is testament to how good it is.

LowSky
September 10th, 2007, 02:39 PM
once you see cash's music video you almost want to cry, reznor's version just makes you feel dirty, cash's makes you feel pain.

fuscia
September 10th, 2007, 02:51 PM
on the bight side, at least, i got a new wallpaper out of it...

Onyros
September 10th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Even though I acknowledge Johnny's version is great (even Trent did so), the mix of anger/pain/emptiness of Reznor's version is unbeatable for me.

One thing I love about Cash's version, the end when in the original version there's that finale filled with noise, and in the cover there's nothing but silence: it's brilliant.

BTW, I don't know why people insist it was NiN's version (I include myself in that): it's a well known fact the original was written by Chuck Norris, when once he accidentally round-house kicked himself.

I hurt myself today/To see if I'd still feel