PDA

View Full Version : Ever purchased at the Canonical store??

luvdemheels
September 9th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I did. I thought it would be cool to sport an Ubuntu polo at work. Anyway I ordered over a week ago and my shirt has been in the mail for a solid week and nothing yet.

No way to track or anything. It is hard waiting on things to ship from overseas to the US. Just wondering how it has went for others?

PilotJLR
September 9th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I bought a coffee cup there, and I really think it did ship from the US...

Of course, they probably use "virtual" warehouses, where disty ships it. Either way, though, it was quite fast for me.

RAV TUX
September 9th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Do they have a 'Sale' going on?

Frak
September 10th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Bought a mug. :)

luvdemheels
September 10th, 2007, 02:03 AM
no sale just wondering. My shirt definately shipped from the UK. I guess I will just keep waiting.

Teh Dust
September 10th, 2007, 02:35 AM
I recently bought a black Ubuntu Shirt from the store. I had the same small problem. After the Royal Mail tracker said it was handed over to the US, it took about a week before I got a note in my mailbox telling me to go to the post office and pick it up because I was not there to sign for the package.

So, wait a couple of weeks and if it still hasn't arrived then check your post office. I'm guessing it takes a while because of customs.

kopinux
September 10th, 2007, 02:48 AM
i like the white shirt and brown sweater, ill buy some after i learned how to buy online.

izanbardprince
September 10th, 2007, 04:02 AM
I recently bought a black Ubuntu Shirt from the store. I had the same small problem. After the Royal Mail tracker said it was handed over to the US, it took about a week before I got a note in my mailbox telling me to go to the post office and pick it up because I was not there to sign for the package.

So, wait a couple of weeks and if it still hasn't arrived then check your post office. I'm guessing it takes a while because of customs.

Yep, our government saving us from the deadly UK T-Shirts.

Now, if it was poisonous Chinese pufferfish, mistakenly labeled as tuna, we could be eating it right now. :lolflag:

multifaceted
September 10th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Where are these Black Polos???... I have been to and browsed the Canonical Store but, have never seen them....

curuxz
September 10th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Where are these Black Polos???... I have been to and browsed the Canonical Store but, have never seen them....

They were taken off for being 'un-politically correct' :lolflag:

Circus-Killer
September 10th, 2007, 09:42 AM
whilst it may be viewed as morally wrong, i buy my swag from cafepress. sure, canonical dont make money from the sale (which is a pity), but here are the reasons why i dont buy from the canonical shop (and let canonical profit off the purchase):

1. Prices are in pounds. This is a big issue for anyone not living in the UK or America. For most people in other countries, it is cheaper to buy in dollars than to buy in pounds. So products tend to be cheaper from cafepress due to the exchange rates.

2. Cafepress has a far bigger selections. Mugs, tshirts, golf shirts, lady shirts, tank tops, doggy jerseys, panties, mousepads, posters, laptop bags, wallclocks, calenders, stickers, etc.

3. Not only is there a bigger selection of products, but they also have a greater variaty of actual designs for ubuntu, which also ups the choices.

Those are the three main reasons why i buy from cafepress. i've alreadyy bought myself a wallclock from there, and just ordered a hoody and a laptop bag. personally, i think canonical should do what gentoo does, open an account with cafepress so that they do profit off cafepress sales. (maybe they already do, but i dont know).

just my opinion.

multifaceted
September 12th, 2007, 04:42 AM
They were taken off for being 'un-politically correct' :lolflag:

You're kidding... what was found to be so politically incorrect about them? You are being facetious aren't you....

DarkStarAeon
September 17th, 2007, 07:31 PM
whilst it may be viewed as morally wrong, i buy my swag from cafepress. sure, canonical dont make money from the sale (which is a pity), but here are the reasons why i dont buy from the canonical shop (and let canonical profit off the purchase):

1. Prices are in pounds. This is a big issue for anyone not living in the UK or America. For most people in other countries, it is cheaper to buy in dollars than to buy in pounds. So products tend to be cheaper from cafepress due to the exchange rates.

2. Cafepress has a far bigger selections. Mugs, tshirts, golf shirts, lady shirts, tank tops, doggy jerseys, panties, mousepads, posters, laptop bags, wallclocks, calenders, stickers, etc.

3. Not only is there a bigger selection of products, but they also have a greater variaty of actual designs for ubuntu, which also ups the choices.

Those are the three main reasons why i buy from cafepress. i've alreadyy bought myself a wallclock from there, and just ordered a hoody and a laptop bag. personally, i think canonical should do what gentoo does, open an account with cafepress so that they do profit off cafepress sales. (maybe they already do, but i dont know).

just my opinion.

Here's why I won't buy from CafePress again:

01. All clothing is poor quality, fades after a couple washes (says they will on their site too), and the stitching is crap. I bought an Ubuntu shirt that is almost unreadable after 5 washes. My mug broke in the dishwasher on first wash, etc. etc. it was all junk except the mousepad and the messenger bag. But they could have been better.

02. That bigger selection you're referring to is usually done by people who don't check the dimensions of the products before they upload graphics to them, so often images are cropped off, run over, or look just plain bad. I'll concede though that items such as mousepads and other simple items are usually ok. But most things have graphics that are either way too low res, or have imperfections.

03. In the Canonical Store you can select US Dollars in the drop down menu on the right.

04. I'd rather give my money to the company that deserves it.

Not meant to sound hostile, just my experience was bad on several counts with CafePress, and I hope no one else orders from them and ends up disappointed like I did.

Circus-Killer
September 17th, 2007, 07:41 PM
well, i cant argue with that. im a firm believer in "if you get bad service/goods, you dont go back". however, as stated, i was happy with the wall clock i received from them, so i did order a sweatshirt and laptop bag.

i also do agree that canonical do deserve it more, but then again, they dont sell laptop bags. anyways, if i am in anyway unhappy with the sweatshirt or laptop bag when they arrive, i will post back to let you guys know.

DarkStarAeon
September 17th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I will admit though, the Canonical Store shipping costs to the US are outrageous at best.

Yeah the bags from CafePress are actually pretty good. I've never tried the wall clocks either. My main complaint is the clothing really. It's terrible.

Starting to wonder if it would be better to just go to a silkscreen shop and have my own made. lol
The screens probably cost a bomb though.

mostwanted
September 17th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I will admit though, the Canonical Store shipping costs to the US are outrageous at best.

Yeah the bags from CafePress are actually pretty good. I've never tried the wall clocks either. My main complaint is the clothing really. It's terrible.

Starting to wonder if it would be better to just go to a silkscreen shop and have my own made. lol
The screens probably cost a bomb though.

I can confirm that they are outragerous in general :) the smallest possible shipping price to Europe is apparently €9!

hero1900
January 10th, 2010, 10:15 PM
mmmm
i want to buy some but i cant use online stores at all since i cant have visa or master card
some countries dont offer for regular people :(

Mornedhel
January 10th, 2010, 10:34 PM
mmmm
i want to buy some but i cant use online stores at all since i cant have visa or master card
some countries dont offer for regular people :(

Define "regular people" ?...

hero1900
January 11th, 2010, 11:46 PM
banks dont give credit or even debit cards unless you are trust worthy and they just give it to business men not for ordinary employees thats why it is hard to get one i need to have a big account in a bank with a very good balance

starcannon
January 11th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Oh , thanks for reminding me, I need to replace my Ubuntu hat.
Nope never mind, they jacked the price of shipping up so much that its absolutely stupid; it used to be reasonable.

Edit: They shut down the US Ubuntu Store. I'm about done with Canonical.

Frak
January 12th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Oh , thanks for reminding me, I need to replace my Ubuntu hat.
Nope never mind, they jacked the price of shipping up so much that its absolutely stupid; it used to be reasonable.
That's one way to make up for lost debt.

"The hat is $20, the shipping is $400."

Dayofswords
January 12th, 2010, 12:03 AM
i only really buy woot items once in a blue moon.
i was thinking on the key-chain once, but i dont actually have a keyring for it =p

JDorfler
January 12th, 2010, 12:28 AM
I'd love to buy, but like System 76, they don't ship to APOs. I'm not a big fan of any company that doesn't ship to APOs. Especially when it doesn't cost anything extra to do so, it just tells me something is very wrong with the thinking of the company. Oh well.

Frak
January 12th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I'd love to buy, but like System 76, they don't ship to APOs. I'm not a big fan of any company that doesn't ship to APOs. Especially when it doesn't cost anything extra to do so, it just tells me something is very wrong with the thinking of the company. Oh well.
This. Ever get mail to an FPO? I never did.

dragos240
January 12th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Can't say I have!

JDorfler
January 12th, 2010, 03:52 PM
This. Ever get mail to an FPO? I never did.

Same with companies that don't ship to FPOs. You purposely cut out customers just b/c they serve means there is something wrong with your nugget. This is b/c it doesn't cost anymore, and a lot of times a lot less, to ship to US Military Post Offices.

mbz99
January 12th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I am going to buy amount , share the spirit.
It is cool :popcorn:

Frak
January 12th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Same with companies that don't ship to FPOs. You purposely cut out customers just b/c they serve means there is something wrong with your nugget. This is b/c it doesn't cost anymore, and a lot of times a lot less, to ship to US Military Post Offices.
I tried to order a large variety of pencils that I used for my art when I didn't have access to a laptop. It took me about four hours to find a company that would ship to an FPO.

JDorfler
January 13th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I tried to order a large variety of pencils that I used for my art when I didn't have access to a laptop. It took me about four hours to find a company that would ship to an FPO.

Amazing. I'm starting to see a pattern. By the way, what company did you find for your pencils? Did they also have two ply Bristol board? (Comic pencilling paper)

Frak
January 13th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Amazing. I'm starting to see a pattern. By the way, what company did you find for your pencils? Did they also have two ply Bristol board? (Comic pencilling paper)
I honestly don't remember the company, but I do remember they sold a lot of stuff and when I got 'em, they were terrible.