PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Hardware Compaibility List

samb0057
September 9th, 2007, 07:31 PM
I have created a web-based Ubuntu hardware compatibility list, UbuntuHCL.org, but we need the Ubuntu community to contribute reviews on hardware they have used with Ubuntu!
We're getting alot of signups, but we need more reviews!

Check us out at www.ubuntuhcl.org

Also, please digg our posting on digg.com: http://digg.com/linux_unix/The_Comprehensive_Ubuntu_Linux_Hardware_Compatibil ity_List

glotz
September 9th, 2007, 07:49 PM
I've been thinking about making an automated questionaire which would ask you how your hardware performs. You'd download the lil script and it'd ID your hardware and poll you and upload the results. I never got around writing anything yet but maybe your project would benefit from such an approach. At least that way you'd probably get a lot more data to chew on. What do you think?

Oki
September 9th, 2007, 08:09 PM
One problem; I want to add a Oki Printer but it is not listed, so I cant... :(

samb0057
September 9th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Just added Oki to the manufacturer list.

samb0057
September 9th, 2007, 08:33 PM
This sounds like a great idea. If you would write the script I'd be happy to help you integrate it with my database.

I've been thinking about making an automated questionaire which would ask you how your hardware performs. You'd download the lil script and it'd ID your hardware and poll you and upload the results. I never got around writing anything yet but maybe your project would benefit from such an approach. At least that way you'd probably get a lot more data to chew on. What do you think?

Wiebelhaus
September 9th, 2007, 10:56 PM
the understanding that it's linux and not Ubuntu that's understanding the hardware is irrelevant I think , because an interested newcomer isn't going to care about terminology when researching whether Ubuntu will work on their hardware or not , I'll help this project, I think it's a good idea.

samb0057
September 9th, 2007, 11:15 PM
the understanding that it's linux and not Ubuntu that's understanding the hardware is irrelevant I think , because an interested newcomer isn't going to care about terminology when researching whether Ubuntu will work on their hardware or not , I'll help this project, I think it's a good idea.

Yes, you have a very valid point. Plus the fact that I have come across numerous postings on the internet by people talking about hardware that worked with one linux distro but not others.

This is intended for beginners, someone who wants a simple way to find out what parts or computer to buy.

We are getting many signups, and reviews are coming in pretty fast! Thanks to everyone who has contributed, and we urge others to do the same!

Digg our post at http://digg.com/linux_unix/The_Comprehensive_Ubuntu_Linux_Hardware_Compatibil ity_List

Oki
September 11th, 2007, 03:41 PM
This is intended for beginners, someone who wants a simple way to find out what parts or computer to buy.
I think it is a great site, and if many can add there different hardware it would be awesome. It is easy to navigate, so I think its very friendly for beginners. It is better to have it all one one site then spread out on many different sites.

One more question; if you have a printer that works 100% thanks only for a hacked driver that can be downloaded from this forum,while the manufacture don't support Linux what so ever; what rating would you give this printer?

glotz
September 11th, 2007, 03:58 PM
If you have a printer that works 100% thanks only for a hacked driver that can be downloaded from this forum,while the manufacture don't support Linux what so ever; what rating would you give this printer?Maybe 3/10. Things like this should be considered when designing the page layout to make these things intuitive to the user. Good point. One of the main goals of this project is obviously to encourage hardware vendors to embrace GNU/Linux.

This sounds like a great idea. If you would write the script I'd be happy to help you integrate it with my database.Glad we agree. However, I'm way too busy at the moment but you're free to have a go at this if you feel like it.