PDA

View Full Version : Which kind of filemanager do you use?

melange
September 9th, 2007, 07:07 PM
I just wanted to know - which kind of filemanager are you people using?

Do you just use your shell, do you use some filemanager with GUI like nautilus/konqueror/rox/whatever, or maybe a CLI-version like midnight commander.

Personally I just use my shell for more or less everything, except when i need FTP. Then I fire up under konqueror since it remembers all my sites, and I find FTP from the command line a bit troublesome.

I guess I have used some GUI tool for filemanaging when i used Linux for the first time, but that's a long time ago and I don't remember. Today it just seems to slow compared to a shell with tab-completion.

Also - I never really got the idea of something like "midnight commander", but some people seems to like it.

What are you using? (EDIT: and why :))

ghantoos
September 9th, 2007, 07:09 PM
i use shell to browse and edit system files(and ftp).

Nautilus for the rest.

cheers,

ghantoos

mali2297
September 9th, 2007, 07:40 PM
If I'm already working in the shell (which I am frequently), I don't leave it to copy some file but use cp. Otherwise, I use Thunar. It is fast and has a nice tool for renaming files, among other features.

Perfect Storm
September 9th, 2007, 07:44 PM
50/50 with nautilus and CLI
It really depends what and where.

dgorchak
September 9th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Shell for almost all file management operations, but sometimes for cleaning up some trash from folders I use rox-filer.

starcraft.man
September 9th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Nautilus/CLI 40/60 ish...

init1
September 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Mostly with CLI commands, but occasionally nautilus.

plb
September 9th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I've always used the shell for the past 8 years...I'm just used to it...gui just doesn't feel right

DoktorSeven
September 9th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Shell most of the time, Xfe if I am too lazy to type.

bobbocanfly
September 9th, 2007, 10:25 PM
When im in openbox or in one of my 'i dont need no GUI to have fun' modes i use the command line but when im in GNOME i use 50/50 Nautilus/CLI

gnusci
September 9th, 2007, 10:35 PM
CLI most of the time but also MC for moving around and editing files.

Bothered
September 9th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I find GUIs faster for large numbers of files that I own, and the command line faster for single files or files that can only be accessed as root (although I also sometimes use sudo [GUI] for that).