PDA

View Full Version : Best Distro to Run in an USB PEN

inoxllor
September 9th, 2007, 02:10 PM
What is the Best distro to install and run from an USB pen?

hessiess
September 9th, 2007, 02:12 PM
puppy, it has a usb installer on the live cd

basketcase
September 9th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Only one I've ever used...Damn Small Linux.

notwen
September 9th, 2007, 05:08 PM
+1 Dsl

n3tfury
September 9th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Dsl Ftw

nonewmsgs
September 9th, 2007, 05:11 PM
puppylinux is a slightly bigger but much more userfriendly (it even comes with dvd burning software and wizards for literally everything. DSL is a better choice for a pentium II or P1. below that you better have some kind of DOS system disk.

Arwen
September 9th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I would check out both if I were you :-)
What impressed me with puppy linux is that "It can use a multisession formatted CD-R/DVD-R to save everything back to the CD/DVD with no hard drive required at all"(mentioned in distrowatch.com)

blithen
September 9th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Depending on the size of your USB drive. If it's 512 then totally go with Slax. A lot more refined then a lot of other small distros.
It's based of slackware.

RAV TUX
September 9th, 2007, 07:09 PM
What is the Best distro to install and run from an USB pen?

Absolutely the best without hesitation is Wolvix (http://wolvix.org/)!...based on Slackware.

The absolutely worst is Damn Small Linux(DSL).

Puppy is OK, but not set up very well.

init1
September 9th, 2007, 07:12 PM
DSL cannot connect me to the internet, nor can it recognize my hard drive. Puppy doesn't connect either. Same with Slax. Ubuntu does work on my laptop but not some of the other computers I try to run it on. Pendrivelinux works on my laptop, but cannot change resolution, so it has bad resolution on some monitors. MCNLive is not very reliable on some computers, and can be very annoying on my laptop. TTY Linux is great; it runs off the initrd, so it will run on anything. But it doesn't connect to the internet on my laptop. CPX-Mini does not connect to the internet. Finnix, GRML Small, and Knopperdisk run just fine, but do not have X.
Finnix is my favorite

Kingsley
September 9th, 2007, 07:18 PM
You should give Pen Drive Linux a try.

http://pendrivelinux.com/