PDA

View Full Version : Virtual machine Ubuntu really responsive!

ade234uk
September 9th, 2007, 08:00 AM
I set up a virtual machine Ubuntu through Windows. I can't believe how responsive it is. This now means I can finally ditch my big white box which just leaves me with the shuttle on the desk.

Just wondering, how does XP perform inside Ubuntu? I could then format, install Ubuntu and then run XP as the virtual machine?

My shuttle has 2gb of ram and a 256 Graphics card.

Pharisee
September 9th, 2007, 08:04 AM
I did the same as you before actually deciding to get rid of windows all together. The responsivness after installing the driver was amazing. When I full screened it, it was like I was like it was my native OS.

I would think that you could expect to get similar performance the otherway around, depending on what you do, if it's graphical work don't bother as it doesn't emulate the GPU, so you don't get the same performance as usual.

ade234uk
September 9th, 2007, 08:11 AM
That is what I am frightened of. I do lots of stuff in photoshop. I have been down the crossover office road and was still not happy with performance. I dont want the same to happen If I virtual machine Windows.

Thanks for your advice

regomodo
September 9th, 2007, 08:21 AM
photoshop ,iirc, is fairly gpu unintensive. i've used cs2 in virtualboxed XP and ran ok with my .nefs. Now that virtualbox has a seamless mode i can start thinking of getting rid of my xp partition.

Pharisee
September 9th, 2007, 08:29 AM
I've ran CS2 on the exact same machine with 2 different video cards and I noticed a definite difference in rendering times with filters, or with effects like smudge and so forth. If your just painting or something, I would agree that it is not that intensive. Though come to think of it the machine was old, so that could also perhaps of factored in..

mips
September 9th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Just wondering, how does XP perform inside Ubuntu? I could then format, install Ubuntu and then run XP as the virtual machine?

My shuttle has 2gb of ram and a 256 Graphics card.

XP performs very well in VB. About 4 days ago I deleted my small XP partition, formatted my drive and installed Ubuntu from scratch. I installed VB 1.5 as it provides seamless windows. This way you don't need to run XP inside of the VB window but it actaully places the XP panel on the gnome desktop and it opens the windows straight on the ubuntu desktop.

I did all the above on my 1.GHz Celron, 512MB ram Laptop. The performance is good but I'm going to get another 512MB as it is currently using swap space. WinXP actually boots way faster in VB than from a HD. I dont think 3d performance would be great though.

thisllub
September 9th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Virtual Box is much faster than VMWare.
The seamless mode is brilliant.

nowshining
September 9th, 2007, 11:00 AM
P4 512mb RAM used internal video card - worked Quickly however if you do run xp in ubuntu you'll then be more easily able to so see how XP really sucks.. :P and you can fullscreen it also with at least virtualbox - heck when you full screen it ctrl + F and that same command to unfull screen - you'll feel like ur in windows and forget about ubuntu.. :P and if it runs quickly on this low end computer of mine well then it will run def. on urs much easier - ahh i gotta do the vb thing now since I use an external card tho..

fdhdghdg
September 9th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I've tested vmware and qemu. My experience is XP performs like **** inside Ubuntu. Good enough to run apps like Photoshop CS3 with very little lag BUT you're not getting any great performance out of your hardware. I would recommend dualboot, unless you have to use both OS at the same time. Well the nerds will say they have to do it because they are nerds but hey...

nowshining
September 9th, 2007, 12:09 PM
wow what's ur computer specs fdhdghdg ?? because xp at least did run fast with the internal card before I got external one...cheap one tho... P4s are known to be crap anyway - google p4 sucks and you can read all about it..

nowshining
September 9th, 2007, 12:10 PM
oh and it still does...same computer - just with an external video card now and I am running it posting these...

fdhdghdg
September 9th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Yes but I'm not running XP for the sake of running XP. I want performance out of my hardware and vmware,qemu,etc wouldn't deliver. There's nothing wrong with dual,triple,etc booting, however I always pull the plug and never let XP connect to the internet. Just don't trust it.

n3tfury
September 9th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Yes but I'm not running XP for the sake of running XP. I want performance out of my hardware and vmware,qemu,etc wouldn't deliver. There's nothing wrong with dual,triple,etc booting, however I always pull the plug and never let XP connect to the internet. Just don't trust it.

you only mentioned qemu and vmware, but virtualbox is definitely faster than whose. i would suggest trying it.

UbuWu
September 9th, 2007, 03:31 PM
There is a windows xp performance edition v3 which can be downloaded from some bittorrent sites. It runs really really fast inside virtualbox.

Nano Geek
September 9th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I use VirtualBox with Windows and it works great.
Very Fast.