PDA

View Full Version : What should I turn this PC into?

Pharisee
September 9th, 2007, 07:25 AM
I got a PC today, not exactly a beast but it's not too bad either. It's specs are:

AMD Athlon 2000+
512MB DDR RAM
Radeon GPU (don't know which yet)

and etc

I'm basically thinking of using it as a file server as soon as I purchase a new HDD for it. Any other suggestions for it? I was also considering of routing my internet through it as a kind of "firewall" even though I can just plug it into my current router which has a firewall built in it already.Also my main machine I think is underused in Linux since it's got pretty impressive hardware-mostly for my gaming when I was on XP. Since I don't have it on anymore, I have been figuring out how to use it's power for some practical use :P It's got 2GB DDR2 RAM 800MHz, 8800GTS, E6600 (2.4GHz) CPU 320GB HDD etc. Ideas for that also would be cool :D

Thanks for the tips!

trvr
September 9th, 2007, 07:35 AM
file server is good. It really depends on what you need. Mythtv? You could do tons of things with it, but try to figure out what you would benefit from the most would be my advice.

You are also one of the first people I have ran across who has TOO MUCH computing power. Very rarely is that a problem. the only idea I have there is Folding@Home (http://folding.stanford.edu/)

Pharisee
September 9th, 2007, 07:46 AM
file server is good. It really depends on what you need. Mythtv? You could do tons of things with it, but try to figure out what you would benefit from the most would be my advice.

You are also one of the first people I have ran across who has TOO MUCH computing power. Very rarely is that a problem. the only idea I have there is Folding@Home (http://folding.stanford.edu/)
Thanks for the tip. That website looks interesting. I don't think there is such a thing as "too much computing power" though :P

Cheers!

regomodo
September 9th, 2007, 08:24 AM
for the old comp - fileserver plus torrentbox
newer comp - folding@home definetely

lioninthesky
September 9th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Here's what I did with mine (P4 3.0/1GB DDR/Radeon 9550):

General access:
- Ubuntu Feisty Desktop (Gnome)
- Relatively low graphic intensive gaming (roms, tuxracer, gnome-games, etc)
- Internet (browsing, email, IM)
- General documentation (Open Office)
- CD/DVD Burning/Ripping (writes directly to the file served drives)

File server (for mp3s and whatever else the household needs):
- Samba for the Windows users in my household :(
- NFS :)

It also serves as a print server and a LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) server. Honestly, since I'm running Ubuntu instead of Windows I've found no need to scale back any of these functions as I just haven't seen a hog in resources. All of the uses above work fine with no conflict to each other whatsoever.

My only suggestion, if you are going to run X (KDE. Gnome) is to go up to a 1GB of memory. I wouldn't suggest running KDE on it given the specs. Even so, if you run Gnome on 512 you might not be lacking in performance unless you start messing with 3D Desktop (beryl, compiz) or something like that.

Hope that helps as a suggestion, good luck!

lioninthesky
September 9th, 2007, 08:55 AM
I almost forgot. If you do any web development (PHP, Perl, ASP, etc), perhaps running it as a file server and a web server with CD/DVD ripping capabilities might come in handy.

Let's say, for example, that you have an extra CD/DVD writer lying around. You can install the CD/DVD writer into your box, and setup a simple web based utility (PHP or something) that would allow you to rip/burn CD's without having X installed, thus freeing up those resources and allowing you another function on your machine.

This post and the last are in regard to your Athlon PC. The only tip I would have for your E6600/8800GTS PC is perhaps try 3D Desktop with all the features enabled :)

bobbocanfly
September 9th, 2007, 09:48 AM
For the older one, File Server or Web Testing Server
For the new one, Folding@Home or some other distributed computing app.

nowshining
September 9th, 2007, 10:37 AM
if you run Gnome on 512 you might not be lacking in performance unlessyou start messing with 3D Desktop (beryl, compiz) or something likethat.

heck that's true - I have 512mbs and as soon as I start running that junk or try to - it does start to max out..

Pharisee
September 9th, 2007, 11:22 AM
wow. I'm surprised that 512mb doesn't give you that much bang for your buck anymore.. I might put in another 512.. I got a whole bunch of spare parts laying around. I will probably run XFCE on it, or perhaps something even lighter like fluxbox or openbox. Or maybe no X at all..just for fun :)

As for my new one, I have compiz-fusion installed already but that was a MAJOR pain to set up. One thing I will also remember after that experience "if all else fails, restart" :)

Also I think I might give LAMP a go, and brush up on my web skills :)