PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu VS Linux!?

phrostbyte
September 9th, 2007, 06:03 AM
If you get into a debate with someone anti-Linux, I discovered that if you just replace all your arguments with the word "Ubuntu" instead of "Linux" their rhetoric gets much weaker. I seems that the word "Linux" carries more negative connotation to them then Ubuntu. Usually you mean the same thing with the words anyway. Just throwing that out.

TBOL3
September 9th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Ya, it's also interesting, when talking to another person, he thought that Windows XP WAS DOS, but with a nice GUI. He also thought that you're computer WAS DOS, and even that Linux WAS DOS.

funrider
September 9th, 2007, 07:23 AM
why do you have debate with those stupid people on the first hand?

darsu
September 9th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Reductio ad hydrogendioxidum, eh.

argie
September 9th, 2007, 08:15 AM
why do you have debate with those stupid people on the first hand?

I have to agree. Why argue with someone who doesn't even have the facts and won't accept them? Tell them they win and let it go. No point.

Billy_McBong
September 9th, 2007, 08:39 AM
there are some people who think think Linux isn't good because they tried it a couple of years ago and ran into many problems.
they don't realize how fast Linux evolves

sloggerkhan
September 9th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I think of proprietary systems as linear growth and linux as exponential evolution.

Kzap333
September 9th, 2007, 08:49 AM
there are some people who think think Linux isn't good because they tried it a couple of years ago and ran into many problems.
they don't realize how fast Linux evolves
Well at least they tryed it.
Most people even the school technition says "Linux is good if you know programing, what Bill Gates has done is made an operating system that anyone can use"
(I think she was trying to avode an argument it did no twork becasuee I said)
"What Bill Gates has done is RIPPED OFF other peoples opensorce sytems and charged houndreds of pounds for them!"
Before I got kicked out the room, which was strage becasue it was an optinal ICT clup after school. Someone else got band from using the Internet at school becasue he went on about much better it was then the schools operating system and how much harder to hack.

again sorry about my spelling.

nowshining
September 9th, 2007, 11:53 AM
linux is the command line - Ubuntu is the GUI

happysmileman
September 9th, 2007, 12:11 PM
linux is the command line - Ubuntu is the GUI

No... Linux is the command line, KDE/GNOME(/XFCE etc...) is the GUI... Ubuntu is a distribution...

I know exactly what you meant by that, but there are a lot of people who wouldn't... One of my friends thought that Ubuntu was the only Linux distribution with a GUI because of how much people go on about it's ease of use compared to the others

nowshining
September 9th, 2007, 12:14 PM
happy well I meant that, I meant Ubuntu in WHOLE - I didn't break it down further - in other words what you just said gave a more detailed comparison, :) and u just repeated me on the linux one - again I stated Ubuntu since they put it ALL TOGETHER so in other words ubuntu is the GUI - now u get what I meant..

arkara
September 9th, 2007, 12:18 PM
i dot get it why .. people argue about oses????

its just an os..

linux is the best
its safe
its faster
its better
it has bugs( that are actualy fixed and not shiped with the next version)

windows sucks from booting to shutdown ALL THE WAY

stop arguing about oses just like me (:P just kidding..)

nowshining
September 10th, 2007, 01:56 AM
while I agree no one should we already have got the stable vs unstable and open source vs proprietary part done - so what one needs to worry more about are the actions of the maintainers and those who put linux/ubuntu together 'cause in the end it can be much much worse for everyone on the earth and will def . lead to destruction... edit: if unchecked :edit

SOULRiDER
September 10th, 2007, 01:58 AM
I think of proprietary systems as linear growth and linux as exponential evolution.

+1

kopinux
September 10th, 2007, 02:37 AM
if there is any linux distro that could put linux into a desktop mainstream reality and liberate the pc operating system market that is Ubuntu!

ubuntu is linux inside like all other distro, what differ is the outside; appeal, hype, corporate support, community, public relations, SHIPIT!.

Adamant1988
September 10th, 2007, 03:24 AM
If you get into a debate with someone anti-Linux, I discovered that if you just replace all your arguments with the word "Ubuntu" instead of "Linux" their rhetoric gets much weaker. I seems that the word "Linux" carries more negative connotation to them then Ubuntu. Usually you mean the same thing with the words anyway. Just throwing that out.

Absolutely. The term 'Linux' has a dark, geeky, history and would only appeal to a certain group of people. Changing the name of something makes it new and fresh if you don't point out the underlying system. Even if you just say "Ubuntu is Linux-based" it makes it an entirely different product in the eyes of the uninformed.

We could go on about how Linux is not an operating system, but that would simply be counter productive. If you want people to use Ubuntu, say Ubuntu. Do not say Ubuntu Linux, do not say Linux.

nowshining
September 10th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Adamant1988 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=108106) now that's exactly right and in the right words too. Congrats. :)

RAV TUX
September 10th, 2007, 03:33 AM
The fact that DELL now sales computers preinstalled with Ubuntu has made the discussion much more easy.

Just please when discussing Ubuntu, please use the proper pronunciation.

markba
September 10th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I seems that the word "Linux" carries more negative connotation to them then Ubuntu.

Maybe this is noticed by Canonical it self also? When I look at the splashscreen, there's no mentioning of Linux whatsoever. I have to explain to people accidently seeing this screen that Ubuntu = Linux.