PDA

View Full Version : So I Think Pidgin is killing my modem.

metallicamaster3
September 9th, 2007, 04:38 AM
I have Optimum Online Boost cable service, a 30MB/s connection.

Every hour or so, The modem freezes up and reboots. This returns socket errors to my many computers that connect to the wireless router.

I've noticed that when my PC is booted into linux, (using gaim), this does not happen.

When I am on Windows and using Pidgin (i always need an instant messenger running), my online uptime never gets passed a few hours or so. My modem would freeze up and reboot.

My main desktop computer is on 24/7. I left booted into Linux (ubuntu) running gaim. My modem never froze for the 3 days I left it online. My online uptime was never inturrupted.

I have reason to believe that it is Pidgin's, or even more generally Windows' fault that this is happening; overloading the router.

I'm a bit confused. I don't know why....someone fill me in?

siimo
September 9th, 2007, 04:56 AM
How can pidgin kill your modem. It must be torrents or some other stupid program you are running on your PC.

metallicamaster3
September 9th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Wow now wasn't that blunt and uncalled for. -_-. I do not run torrents or some other "stupid program". This can and does happen when Pidgin is the only application running.

~LoKe
September 9th, 2007, 05:09 AM
You compare Ubuntu + Gaim to Windows + Pidgin. Gaim and Pidgin are essentially the same, unless you think the name is crashing your modem. I think you have to look deeper into windows and possibly your drivers.

Depressed Man
September 9th, 2007, 05:12 AM
I have Optimum Online Boost cable service, a 30MB/s connection.

Every hour or so, The modem freezes up and reboots. This returns socket errors to my many computers that connect to the wireless router.

I've noticed that when my PC is booted into linux, (using gaim), this does not happen.

When I am on Windows and using Pidgin (i always need an instant messenger running), my online uptime never gets passed a few hours or so. My modem would freeze up and reboot.

My main desktop computer is on 24/7. I left booted into Linux (ubuntu) running gaim. My modem never froze for the 3 days I left it online. My online uptime was never inturrupted.

I have reason to believe that it is Pidgin's, or even more generally Windows' fault that this is happening; overloading the router.

I'm a bit confused. I don't know why....someone fill me in?

This oddly happened to me too. On my desktop on my home network in Windows if I turned in Pidgin I'd always drop from the network. But it worked fine in Ubuntu. And when using my laptop it never happened in Vista or Ubuntu. Never did figure it out..I'm back at college now and even in Windows it connects fine there..

metallicamaster3
September 9th, 2007, 05:17 AM
I believe VERY strongly it is my driver. It is poorly written from Linksys....if only there we're a Windows depriative of the driver which Linux uses for the adapter.

nowshining
September 9th, 2007, 05:18 AM
everything fine from my end - actiontec usb dialup modem - external.. edit: in gutsy

Spike-X
September 9th, 2007, 05:19 AM
You compare Ubuntu + Gaim to Windows + Pidgin.

Yep too many variables. You need to be comparing Pidgin on Ubuntu vs. Pidgin on Windows.

~LoKe
September 9th, 2007, 05:19 AM
I believe VERY strongly it is my driver. It is poorly written from Linksys....if only there we're a Windows depriative of the driver which Linux uses for the adapter.

Oh how the tables have turned. ;)

nowshining
September 9th, 2007, 05:20 AM
if it's windows have you ever done a Registry scan and clean..

metallicamaster3
September 9th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Oh how the tables have turned.

Indeed they have! :lol:

A registry clean seems pointless, as the machine has been reformatted at least 3 times since I've been using pidgin, and the problem has stuck all 3 times.

I insist it is my driver now. Considering the readings are never right (it always says either 100% signal or 0%), and that this is happening, shame on Linksys for their crappy driver.

nowshining
September 9th, 2007, 05:38 AM
when was the last time u checked for a driver update?

metallicamaster3
September 9th, 2007, 05:39 AM
I check everytime I reinstall the driver :P

last time...prolly a month ago.

nowshining
September 9th, 2007, 05:41 AM
well check again since it's been a month ago..

LookTJ
September 9th, 2007, 05:56 AM
this maybe a router/modern problem. make sure your router's firmware is up to date. if you have a wrt54g* model, you could flash ddwrt onto it.

metallicamaster3
September 9th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I check and install new firmware every week...This bugs me if my software is out of date ;)

nowshining
September 10th, 2007, 01:49 AM
are u still having them problems??