PDA

View Full Version : Oh-No! Yet Another High Definition DVD Format: HD VMD

Nano Geek
September 9th, 2007, 02:20 AM
You can read the article here (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136977/article.html).

The format looks pretty good, but I can't believe that they would make any headway with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray already established.

Like the price though. :)

Hmarroqu
September 9th, 2007, 03:00 AM
sigh

starcraft.man
September 9th, 2007, 03:03 AM
sigh

Ditto.

Heck, from the latest studies I seen the interest in Blu/HD discs and players has actually gone down with price cuts (about half the sales over the last 6 months). I don't think anyone cares at all so long as their still making DVDs. I know I'm not interested in paying the huge price to upgrade my entertainment centre to HD. Especially given that movies and TV seem to be going down hill.

n3tfury
September 9th, 2007, 03:04 AM
it's a cheaper alternative for now, but studios won't be lining up to back up this format. this one won't fly. the article said it best:

Arriving late to a two-party format war that consumers are already reluctant to support.

PmDematagoda
September 9th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Yet another contestant in the great battle of the Titans.

It seems that HD VMD does have a chance even though it's late on to the floor, mostly endorsed by the fact that it's cheaper and provides about the same performance as Blu-ray and HD DVD.

Don't know what turn the IT world will take. Might as well sit back and enjoy the ride.:popcorn:

Nano Geek
September 9th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Personally, I hoping that HD-DVD will win, even though its backed by Microsoft. But I'm certainly not buying anything till all but one of the formats bites the dust.

sloggerkhan
September 9th, 2007, 03:20 AM
personally I hope whicherver one ends up having the most easily circumventable DRM wins...

Nano Geek
September 9th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Sony's backing Blu-Ray. That's really the only reason that I have an opinion at all.

PmDematagoda
September 9th, 2007, 03:29 AM
I prefer Blu-ray for stuff like movies, but for data backup I think I'll go with HD-VMD.

starcraft.man
September 9th, 2007, 03:38 AM
personally I hope whicherver one ends up having the most easily circumventable DRM wins...
Where have you been? Both have been thoroughly cracked. Rips are plastered all over the torrent trackers. I certainly don't know who'd wanna download those giant blobs though...

Sony's backing Blu-Ray. That's really the only reason that I have an opinion at all.

Really? You'd prefer Microsoft over Sony?

Nano Geek
September 9th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Really? You'd prefer Microsoft over Sony?Not really, but I have to choose between the lesser of the two evils. At least Microsoft is only backing HD-DVD while Blu-Ray is Sony's own format.

Personally, I would rather have a third party develop the video standards. This new format might be better than the other two if only it could get a major movie studio to support it.

starcraft.man
September 9th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Not really, but I have to choose between the lesser of the two evils. At least Microsoft is only backing HD-DVD while Blu-Ray is Sony's own format.

Personally, I would rather have a third party develop the video standards. This new format might be better than the other two if only it could get a major movie studio to support it.

Heh. I can understand that. IMO though MS is just as or more dangerous. Their vertical ownership of PC gaming/media centre markets (with Vista) among other things makes them precariously positioned and capable of real monopoly in that area if Sony kisses it (I assume that happens if PS3/Blu flop. They'd at least be crippled).

Not to mention they've hordes of cash to sink into anything to put other companies out of business. Case and point, the Xbox/Gaming division to this day has failed to record any serious profits since conception (least from what I've read). Course Microsoft's deep pockets can continue to cover them...

In the end, it just may be a lose lose. Both companies are rather reprehensible... MS though has more potential to wreck things in the bigger picture.

Dimitriid
September 9th, 2007, 05:38 AM
What the hell is "versatile" about having to consider a third option at this point anyway? Even the name is asking for it :lolflag:

amazingtaters
September 9th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Hell, I think that this new format shows promise. I'm sure we have all heard these sage words...

"Cash rules everything around me" aka C.R.E.A.M.

With this new format being markedly cheaper than either HD disc format currently available, it could easily take off for people who want HD content, but don't want to pay $300+ dollars for the hardware and pay 50 for a movie. I'd sure pay 150 for an HD player (heck I payed more than that for my upconvert DVD recorder)

Nrvnqsr
September 9th, 2007, 06:22 AM

HD-DVD was developed by NEC and Toshiba with Microsoft support and other companies like Intel, HP, Sanyo, RCA, Kenwood, Memory-Tech Corporation.

imo, its not like Microsoft will steal it and own it later. Personally I'll stick with regular DVDs for the time being

PurposeOfReason
September 9th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Personally, I would. I trust Microsoft with anything but software where they can, in a matter of months, change everything. On the issue of it being cracked, I don't care. I was looking for movies and came across one in 1080P. To put that on my computer with 3GB, not happening; and because I keep most of my movies on my computer, I'll stick with DVDs as long as I can.

Sluipvoet
September 9th, 2007, 06:30 AM
I don't HD, I an happy with my regular DVD's.