PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Book?

OmegaMB
September 8th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I've seen a few Ubuntu books in bookstores, and was wondering if I were to write one, would I need to get permission to do it?

boopyg
September 8th, 2007, 05:26 PM
-

starcraft.man
September 8th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I've seen a few Ubuntu books in bookstores, and was wondering if I were to write one, would I need to get permission to do it?

Well no, you don't need permission from anyone to write any book. Long as your using your thoughts and not someone else's work it's fine.

The only reason I think you'd need to contact Cannonical would be if you were to claim it as an "Official" Ubuntu book. Calling it official infers that their endorsing what you wrote, thus since they own the trademark on Ubuntu you'd have to get their permission to do that. I imagine using Ubuntu in a passive sense (i.e. Omega's Handguide for Ubuntu) would be fine, your just using it to indicate the distro your covering.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, this is just what I know. Be sure to read up on crediting trademark and citing works (if you quote free sources and such).

OmegaMB
September 8th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Well no, you don't need permission from anyone to write any book. Long as your using your thoughts and not someone else's work it's fine.

The only reason I think you'd need to contact Cannonical would be if you were to claim it as an "Official" Ubuntu book. Calling it official infers that their endorsing what you wrote, thus since they own the trademark on Ubuntu you'd have to get their permission to do that. I imagine using Ubuntu in a passive sense (i.e. Omega's Handguide for Ubuntu) would be fine, your just using it to indicate the distro your covering.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, this is just what I know. Be sure to read up on crediting trademark and citing works (if you quote free sources and such).

Thanks for the help :)

EDIT: Would I have to ask permission to use the Ubuntu logo?