PDA

View Full Version : Which *nix version?

Pitbull11188
September 8th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I have been using ubuntu for 4 years, 3 years of which it was my primary OS and for the past 6 months I have been toying around on the terminal more and more often.

My question is for someone who would like to learn the more traditional aspects of *nix, but also be able to get the latest and greatest software if I so choose, which *nix would you use?

1.) Gentoo - excellent learning experience, totally from source

2.) Slackware - it's traditional linux

3.) FreeBSD - it's pure

While i like to have a nice desktop to fall back on and even use in tangent with the CLI, I would like to learn the command line much more thoroughly.

I like and intend to learn about these programs and features:

1.) vim
2.) ssh
3.) bash scripting
4.) slimming down start up processes and the like

I know all this can be done with ubuntu, but I want a more traditional system, I'm leaning towards freeBSD, but since it has many differences from linux I think slackware may be a better option.

Gentoo being highly customizable and configurable could definitely fit the bill, but is it the right choice to gain skills that are general to all *nix systems?

nowshining
September 8th, 2007, 11:47 AM
the one I am using now :) ubuntu

Arwen
September 8th, 2007, 12:03 PM
You could try out Solaris 10,it's a magical experience,you have to manually mount everything and when it comes to usb ports it's a real party :-P

Pitbull11188
September 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM
I'm not quite that anal retentive about my OS. I just want to be able to learn the CLI, bash scripting, and the way the system works.

luisromangz
September 8th, 2007, 12:55 PM
If you just want to learn to use the CLI and bash scripting and such things, there is no reason not to do so in Ubuntu even if it's not a "traditional *nix" whatever that means :P. And FreeBSD is way behind any linux distribution in terms of hardware and software support.

original_jamingrit
September 8th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I have tried Slackware, and it's pretty awesome. But if it's not too difficult (and it looks like it may be) I'd recommend Linux From Scratch to get the best learning experience.

Taino
September 8th, 2007, 01:24 PM
+1 on "Linux from Scratch" and also check out "Arch Linux" if you want a mostly base CLI system.

Pitbull11188
September 8th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I think LFS is out of my league, I am no where near a guru. Though I could make an old computer a project box and slowly build a LFS system on it.

I think I may go with slackware, because I have heard portage is a pain in the ***.

My only question is will I be able to run newer software and the newest kernel if I compile them from source?

nonewmsgs
September 8th, 2007, 01:52 PM
You could try out Solaris 10,it's a magical experience,you have to manually mount everything and when it comes to usb ports it's a real party :-P

i laughed at that till it hurt.

kellemes
September 8th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I think I may go with slackware, because I have heard portage is a pain in the ***.

My only question is will I be able to run newer software and the newest kernel if I compile them from source?

If the need for bleeding edge is great go for rolling release distro's like Gentoo or Arch.. Arch is my personal preference.

By the way, never believe folks criticizing Gentoo, generally they don't know what the hell they talk about. Portage is the most advanced package-management-system around, and comparing it to any other is simply stupid. This does not mean it's the best choice for you, you really have to find out yourself.

starcraft.man
September 8th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I'm not quite that anal retentive about my OS. I just want to be able to learn the CLI, bash scripting, and the way the system works.

I don't see why you want to change distributions if this is your main goal. The four points you listed (at top) can equally be done on nearly any Linux distro (including Ubuntu) and what you learn will mostly apply to every other. Using a "traditional" OS as you put it doesn't offer any advantage (as I see it, unless I'm missing something) with respect to this goal. It may teach you other things, like other package systems and other such discrepancies from Ubuntu, but I don't think those contribute to the goals you listed (least not CLI and Bash).

Anyway, it's up to you. I just don't see the pressing need to move to another distro to learn this.

Pitbull11188
September 8th, 2007, 10:44 PM
I want to learn the differences between various systems and just experiment and see which one I like the most. That's the main reason I'd like to switch distros. I mean ubuntu will be staying on my school laptop for now, because I know it so well and can trust that I won't do anything retarded and make it unstable.