PDA

View Full Version : Do you think it is easy to get a credit card?

nowshining
September 8th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I do, the trick is to DO IT ONLINE if you do capitalone, household bank, wamu and American Express will give u one :) I didn't even have a job at the time of getting them, just went online and well i got em' :) I pay and use capitalone only so far - and have went up from 300 ->500 -> to what I have now and that is 1500 and yes I pay the whole thing off Whole every month so I can avoid interest and I pay by money order..

edit:

I have

Capitalone Visa
Washington Mutual visa
Household bank Mastercard
American Express

edit2: all those without an checking account, etc... only one denied me was Discover as they wanted a checking account..

bikeboy
September 8th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I think the operative word is too easy.

ryno519
September 8th, 2007, 10:26 AM
I think the operative word is too easy.

Indeed. They like to set up stands at colleges and sign up freshmen for student credit cards. I imagine they make a pretty penny from that demographic.

"I have no money to go clubbing tonight. Time for a cash advance!"

tcpip4lyfe
September 8th, 2007, 03:26 PM
If you cant pay cash, you don't really need it is what I live by.

jgrabham
September 8th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Im too young... I just use my debit card

m0eman
September 8th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I'm thinking of getting one, to establish credit and make online payments easier, and since I'm a student it would be so easy.

plb
September 8th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I have 2 banks and a credit card from each of them...1 chase freedom card for $500 and a $1000 from hsbc

LowSky
September 8th, 2007, 05:31 PM
guys be careful, its very easy to loose control of your credit. i know too many friends that stretched themselve too far because they had no money and always used credit cards.

But they do help build credit, with them I would have never been able fo finance my car by myself.

cards I have
Amex Blue - $10,000 limit
Bank of America Platinum Visa -$ 8,000 limit
Local Credit Union Visa - $500 limit (First card I got, never uped limit)
Citi Master Card - 4,000 limit

The only reson my limits are so high is because I have a good job and pay more than just the minimum balances

regomodo
September 8th, 2007, 08:50 PM
much too easy. i got one and i am over £1000 overdrawn and i'm a student with no job.

I got it from my bank and sat in a drawer for a while. I cut it up into tiny little shreds

PriceChild
September 8th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I never want to get a credit card but yes it would be too easy if I applied. I'm perfectly content spending my own money off my debit card.

starcraft.man
September 8th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Course it's easy to get a credit card. That's the point. The system for money as it is today is based entirely on you having debt. It can be indirect like a credit card or direct to the bank like a mortgage or a large loan. The point is to get you in debt.

Oh and btw, they are now even marketing cards directly to 12 and 13 year olds as preloaded and manageable by parents. It's a very twisted world...

Anyway, we had this discussion before, it's the way the system is designed and run by the banks.

Rupertronco
September 8th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I'm currently a college student, and still on my parents' health care plan. As long as that is the case, I am pre-approved for credit cards based on household income, not my income. How insane is that?

My parents have 2 credit cards: A Citibank Visa, and an American Express.

Both of which have extended offers to me, keep in mind, I have absolutely no credit whatsoever, with INITIAL credit limits in excess of $20,000. A college student who loves computers and top shelf liquor $40.000 worth of credit would be an insane risk.

They're crooks!

starcraft.man
September 8th, 2007, 09:55 PM
:shock:

That's huge amounts... geez. Like I said though, their business model is based on money as debt. The earlier and larger they get you in, the more money they can guarantee in their long term off interest. It's a very very twisted world... all the more reason to remain hawk like and aware of your actions and the world.

xl_cheese
September 8th, 2007, 09:59 PM
A warning to anyone looking to get a card. NEVER carry a balance. Too many people live thinking it normal to have a balance and think they are doing well just making "more" than the minimum balance.

Pay off the balance completely every month.

A couple cards and a high limit will help your credit score. Paying interest will eat your lunch. I have a discover with 1% cash back. Not much but it adds up. I buy everything with it and even pay bills. I even once put my down payment on a car on the card. I just pay it off at the end of the month.

eljoeb
September 8th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Its a good opportunity to get a credit card to build your credit rating. It will also help students learn to manage their money. Which, god knows, almost nobody knows how to do. Treat it like your debit card and pay off the balance regularly. You'll never pay interest, and get a nice credit rating.