PDA

View Full Version : Good portable audio player?

PhatStreet
September 8th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I'm looking for a decent portable audio player, but don't want one of the many restrictive mainstream ones.

I don't want a whole lot in it, mainly just Vorbis and ReplayGain support. Size should be at least 5 GB.

Anyone have any suggestions? I figured this would be a good place to ask. :)

vanden12
September 8th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Why dont you like mainstream players...THere is no shame in have a ipod...

But if you want somthing get the iRiver Clix it a very good mp3 player...

While it doesnt have 5 gb it does have 4gb....

http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/iriver-clix-4gb-second/4505-6490_7-32327766.html

But since the new ipod nano just came out I say wait since other mp3 players will have upgraded models and lower the prices of there old ones...

PhatStreet
September 8th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Why dont you like mainstream players...THere is no shame in have a ipod...It's not really because they're mainstream, just that 99% of mainstream players have lock-in or no Vorbis support, etc.
I'll check out your suggestion though.

sonofusion82
September 8th, 2007, 01:11 AM
if my memory is correct, Samsung players support vorbis..

TBOL3
September 8th, 2007, 01:13 AM
So do Cowon.

Ender Black
September 8th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Cowon players have by far the best sound reproduction. They support every format imaginable except .aac but who cares about that. I would recommend the D2 but I have had too many near wrecks driving and and trying to change songs while trying to navigate the touch screen with my vienna sausage sized fingers. But....with a 52 hour battery life...yep 52 freaking hours, you can't go wrong. On a recent trip from Miami to DC and back I watched 4 movies listened to all my podcasts and still had ~30% of battery left when I got back.
http://www.cowonglobal.com/

D2 Specs off the top of my head:
MP3, FLAC, WAV, OGG
AVI, DIVX movies (320 x 240)
FLASH-lite
FM Tuner
Voice Recorder
TV Out
Text and Graphics support (Sort of)
52 hours continuous battery (music)
10 hours continuous battery (video)
Linux recognizes it as a mass storage device (automagically recognized by Amarok)

Cowon really makes a great product. Don't be an iPod sheep!

PatrickMay16
September 8th, 2007, 03:25 AM
if my memory is correct, Samsung players support vorbis..

Yes, and they also have poor sound quality (noticable noise in the background, etc), require mtp, etc. Generally best avoided if you use linux. Hell, best avoided no matter what you use.

I highly recommend Cowon.

Pancetilla
September 8th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Cowon. No doubt. Linux-friendly, great overall quality, ogg.

I have an Iaudio X5L 20 G. Looking for an Iaudio 6 (For Xmas)

n3tfury
September 8th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Another vote for Cowon.

sloggerkhan
September 8th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I am curious about what portable audio player is good w/ubuntu, too. I was wondering if the cowon players are recognized and sync as portable players w/rhythmbox or other music management programs in ubuntu.

Ender Black
September 8th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I use Amarok with Cowon D2 and it works pretty much flawlessly, with one exception. Amarok doesn't think that .ogg files are compatible with my D2 so I have to "drag and drop" them into the player.