PDA

View Full Version : Why chinese not making Mac?

jeyaganesh
September 7th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Chinese copy and manufacture themselves anything from shoes to cars, but why they are not making (copying) Mac computers?

LowSky
September 7th, 2007, 09:29 PM
no point... they get bootleg copies of windows... or pay $20 for genuine vista ultimate (got to love MS's pricing stategy), plus mac component are expensive compared to the cheapo lead based plastic boxes they can build

prizrak
September 7th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Macs are made by ASUS which is Taiwanese so they are actually the ones making the damn thing in the first place.

Acglaphotis
September 7th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Taiwane != Chinese

smoker
September 7th, 2007, 10:08 PM
it's been done before, this from may 06,
http://www.macobserver.com/article/2006/05/10.14.shtml

jeyaganesh
September 7th, 2007, 10:17 PM
'Wow' starts now. I always wondering why others cant make machines to run Mac OS like Windows OS.

prizrak
September 8th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Taiwane != Chinese

If I remember correctly TW was annexed by China not too long ago. I am also more than sure that ASUS owns factories in China.

prizrak
September 8th, 2007, 12:20 AM
'Wow' starts now. I always wondering why others cant make machines to run Mac OS like Windows OS.

You can easily make a machine that runs Mac OS. All you need to do is build a machine that has supported hardware. RIght now the only thing you need to run a Mac is an EFI machine instead of a BIOS.

stmiller
September 8th, 2007, 12:44 AM
If I remember correctly TW was annexed by China not too long ago.

No! Taiwan is its own independent democratic nation, and quite wealthy. The history of this tension vs. China goes back to the 1940s and the revolution. China presently does not accept the government of Taiwan and insists that they China own Taiwan and the associated wealth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_China

The "Republic of China" is now commonly known as "Taiwan" or "Chinese Taipei".
Not to be confused with the People's Republic of China (PRC).

It is often said that a war between Taiwan and China would not be a surprise, where China would try to overtake Taiwan by force.

Henaro
September 8th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Chinese copy and manufacture themselves anything from shoes to cars, but why they are not making (copying) Mac computers?

Because PCs handle spread sheets better then the mac.

And communism requires a lot of spread sheets.

RAV TUX
September 8th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Taiwane != Chinese

No Taiwanese are not Chinese, China would like to own Taiwan but this claim is not recognized.

This would be like Iran claiming they own Israel.

kadath
September 8th, 2007, 04:31 AM
The Chinese tend to knock-off consumer electronics gadgets. They've made some laptops that sort of look like Macbooks, but so does everyone else. As for knocking off OS X, you can't really do that, can you.

Besides, Windows is so embedded in Chinese society due to the rampant piracy, OS X is virtually useless to them. However, the Chinese government is becoming more and more paranoid about running American software, so there's been some push to move to Linux. They have a distro called RedFlag, if I remember correctly.

RAV TUX
September 8th, 2007, 04:35 AM
The Chinese tend to knock-off consumer electronics gadgets. They've made some laptops that sort of look like Macbooks, but so does everyone else. As for knocking off OS X, you can't really do that, can you.

Besides, Windows is so embedded in Chinese society due to the rampant piracy, OS X is virtually useless to them. However, the Chinese government is becoming more and more paranoid about running American software, so there's been some push to move to Linux. They have a distro called RedFlag, if I remember correctly.

Currently there are 8 different Linux distros from China.

1. Red Flag Linux
2. Magic Linux
3. Hiweed GNU/Linux
4. Co-CreateLinux
5. RAYS LX
6. CDLinux
7. Asianux
8. XTeam Linux

There are 3 Linux distros from Taiwan.

1. PUD
2. Linpus
3. B2D

http://cafelinux.org/distropedia/?q=node/52

kopinux
September 8th, 2007, 07:23 AM
does ipod counts?:KS

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6035/gateshz4.jpg

microsoft owns china!:lolflag:

seshomaru samma
September 8th, 2007, 09:13 AM
No Taiwanese are not Chinese, China would like to own Taiwan but this claim is not recognized.

Taiwanese are ethnically Chinese. Also the official name of Taiwan is "the Republic of China". It is only very recently that some sections in Taiwanese society are seeking some kind of independence. This is however NOT the official policy of the Taiwanese government. Also, the Taiwanese economy is integrated with the mainland economy. Very different from the Iran/Israel situation.

The reason there is no Chinese copy of Apple is the lack of demand or awareness of Apple. The only people who are rich enough to know about it /afford it would like to have the real thing rather than a bootleg.

James-A
September 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM
If apple demand increases then soon there will be the chinese copy of apple available in the market at an affordable cost.

mostwanted
September 8th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Just to elaborate further on this: Taiwan is actually just the name of the biggest island of the remaining isles of the old Chinese Republic which ruled China before the communists took the power. Both the Republic of China and the Peoples' Republic of China make a claim to the whole of China. Both want a proper reunification, but Taiwan is now democratic while mainland China is still an authoritarian one-party state, which is why Taiwan is keeping the status quo.

So technically, Taiwan is indeed a sovereign nation, but officially Taiwan as a nation does not exist. There is only one China in most official contexts, so it is incorrect to state that China's claim to Taiwan is not recognised. Taiwan is a province of China in most official contexts. Almost no countries have embassies in Taiwan, because then they are unable to have embassies in mainland China.

robinl
September 8th, 2007, 01:21 PM
O Come ON! Even if you use "Republic of China" it still has CHINA in it, they are still CHINESE; please STOP making unsubstantiated claims and analogies to something that's radically different.

3rdalbum
September 8th, 2007, 01:53 PM
You can easily make a machine that runs Mac OS. All you need to do is build a machine that has supported hardware. RIght now the only thing you need to run a Mac is an EFI machine instead of a BIOS.

No, you need a TPM with an Apple-approved code in it. EFI is the least of your worries, as the first Macintels released to developers actually had BIOSes.

prizrak
September 8th, 2007, 03:21 PM
No, you need a TPM with an Apple-approved code in it. EFI is the least of your worries, as the first Macintels released to developers actually had BIOSes.

There are plenty of cracked OS X's out there than can run on regular x86 :D

Sporkman
September 9th, 2007, 03:10 AM

I read an article a few weeks ago about a chinese company making iPhone clones... A quick google turned this up:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/01/29/iphone.clone.surfaces

Sporkman
September 9th, 2007, 03:11 AM
And communism requires a lot of spread sheets.

:lol: All that central planning, eh?

stmiller
September 9th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Taiwanese are ethnically Chinese. Also the official name of Taiwan is "the Republic of China". It is only very recently that some sections in Taiwanese society are seeking some kind of independence. This is however NOT the official policy of the Taiwanese government. Also, the Taiwanese economy is integrated with the mainland economy.

Yes, that is the name, but that does not describe the current government going on in Taiwan. That name used to refer to all of mainland China as well, before the revolution.

Taiwan has their own economy, own currency, own government (a democracy), free speech, free religion, and so forth. It is a long and complex history, but Taiwan as it functions today is very independent. China has no rule over Taiwan, nor does China get any money from Taiwan's wealth. ?!

It is perhaps one of the most complex situations of our recent history.

funrider
September 9th, 2007, 07:18 AM
the rest of the world loves buying cheap cloned stuff from China.....if you want to stop chinese from doing such, ask people around you to quit buying pirated stuff from that was made in china

funrider
September 9th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Yes, that is the name, but that does not describe the current government going on in Taiwan. That name used to refer to all of mainland China as well, before the revolution.

Taiwan has their own economy, own currency, own government (a democracy), free speech, free religion, and so forth. It is a long and complex history, but Taiwan as it functions today is very independent. China has no rule over Taiwan, nor does China get any money from Taiwan's wealth. ?!

It is perhaps one of the most complex situations of our recent history.

children from chinese-taiwan parents are not considered as a 'mixed'......that way i dun see any difference between china chinese and taiwan chinese

some moderators stop this war please.

vexorian
September 9th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Because it wouldn't be profitable.

The only reason one would buy a mac is to be cool among others.

If you buy a forfeit mac you are kind of killing the purpose...

Macintosh Sauce
September 9th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Because PCs handle spread sheets better then the mac.

Really? That's funny. I have been putting Numbers, part of Apple's new iWorks '08, through its paces and I am absolutely impressed. I don't use Excel macros so Numbers does everything I need it to. Microsoft's dominance in this market is about to end pretty soon.

iPower
September 9th, 2007, 10:22 AM

there's no tpm chip in the mac pro