PDA

View Full Version : The Rugby World Cup

KiwiNZ
September 7th, 2007, 08:53 PM
OK this starts this weekend YAY:)

So who is going to win?

My unbiased opinion is ..... The All Blacks ( New Zealand for the uninitiated);)

Ender Black
September 7th, 2007, 09:02 PM
It would only be appropriate for Ubuntu users to cheer for the Springboks (South Africa for the uninitiated):lolflag:

KiwiNZ
September 7th, 2007, 09:20 PM
It would only be appropriate for Ubuntu users to cheer for the Springboks (South Africa for the uninitiated):lolflag:

Who ?:p

Maxster
September 7th, 2007, 09:26 PM
can you type out the haka for us?

LowSky
September 7th, 2007, 09:33 PM
i wish rugby was popular in america... but american football season start very soon... go Giants

snyling
September 7th, 2007, 09:34 PM
GO PUMAS! (Argentina for the uninitiated)

KiwiNZ
September 7th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Th Haka

Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
I die! I die! I live! I live!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
I die! I die! I live! I live!
Tenei te tangata puhuru huru
This is the hairy man
Nana nei i tiki mai
Who fetched the Sun
Whakawhiti te ra
And caused it to shine again
A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!
One upward step! Another upward step!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
An upward step, another.. the Sun shines!!
Hi !!!

Onyros
September 7th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I know the HAKA, I can scream the HAKA :P

Imagine how torn apart I'll be watching the All Blacks destroying the Wolves (Portugal, for the uninitiated LOL - as in the only amateur team in the Championships). HAHA!

But yeah, I'm an ALL BLACKS fan.

PriceChild
September 8th, 2007, 12:13 AM
I was on a rugby and hockey tour to new zealand for almost a month and having the haka performed before the beginning of the matches was probably the most intimidating and disconcerting thing I've ever experienced...

And yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the All Blacks take it :)

bapoumba
September 8th, 2007, 12:19 AM
France lost the opening game. Pff... /o\

Stemp
September 8th, 2007, 12:23 AM
France lost the opening game. Pff... /o\

Nope, Argentina won. They were better.
But we are still gonna win the world cup ;)

beercz
September 8th, 2007, 12:55 AM
My heart says England!

My head says an Australia & South Africa final, South Africa to win - just!!!!

Come on England!!!!!!!!

MuFFiNuk
September 8th, 2007, 04:19 AM
We're playing Canada tomorrow - 9th @ 14:00. But im actually in New Zealand atm so it will be on early morning here.

There's All blacks stuff everywhere here lol.

I think we'll beat Canada based on the fact we've beaten them in the last 5 games but i don't know how much further we'll get coz our coach is a numpty.

Go Wales!

Thyme
September 8th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I'm backing SA 100%. I'm confident that they will reach the finals at least... Going for an All Blacks/SA final :)

Thyme
September 8th, 2007, 10:48 AM
and France performed pathetically yesterday against Argentina... Maybe all the pressure of hosting the world cup and winning it got to them.

mips
September 8th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Well Argentina kicked some butt last night against France, well done Argentina! Just for the record, I love the french flair and I scream for them a lot, the one day the guys wanted to kick me out the pub because i was screaming for France when my own team was playing ;)

I honestly do not know who is going to win the cup, there is so much uncertainty and no one really looks like a winning team to me.

I'f the Springboks play their typical forwards game then I don't see us winning. You need to attack and run your backs. Playing safe rugby is not going to pay off here.

bapoumba
September 8th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Agreed with both posts above mine. You could not believe all the media stuff currently going on in France...
Pressure, yes, maybe.

This afternoon game was enjoyable (NZ-Italy). Good game :)

jgrabham
September 8th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Hmm, well were not gonna win, and I dont want France or Australia to win... so come on you all blacks :D

jgrabham
September 8th, 2007, 03:39 PM
This afternoon game was enjoyable (NZ-Italy). Good game :)

Unless youre Itallian

MuFFiNuk
September 8th, 2007, 03:55 PM
What a game that was (NZ-Italy). No offense to Italy but they just didn't look like they could be bothered, I mean 40 something - 7 in the first half... It was funny to watch.

Its Aus - Jap on atm but I just wanna see the Wales game now

Onyros
September 8th, 2007, 05:17 PM
If the All Blacks destroyed Italy 76-14, Australia cruised through Japan (91-3)...

I fear for Portugal hehehe. First, against Scotland... will they beat the century mark? :lolflag:

MaximB
September 8th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I'd love to watch Rugby , but in Israel none airs it.
all they care for is football (soccer) , and we are suck at it !

mips
September 8th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I'd love to watch Rugby , but in Israel none airs it.

Surely you can get it on satelite. You guys arent to far from europe so you should be able to pick up EU sattelite channels ?

Bachstelze
September 8th, 2007, 08:41 PM
all they care for is football (soccer) , and we are suck at it !

Never tell that to a French since Israel kicked us out of the 1994 World Cup :D

groeswenphil
September 9th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Somebody on the radio said today, "The Rugby World Cup". 19 teams fighting for the right to lose to New Zealand in the finals.

Anybody fancy Wales for the quarter finals?
Phil

MuFFiNuk
September 9th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Somebody on the radio said today, "The Rugby World Cup". 19 teams fighting for the right to lose to New Zealand in the finals.

Anybody fancy Wales for the quarter finals?
Phil

We can dream buddy, but you know how the song goes lol

"So long as we beat the English, we don't care"

regomodo
September 9th, 2007, 08:30 AM
argentina vs france was a good game

Good god, England were terrible yesterday against the USA. They aren't going to last for long.

Phil

I'll put money down to say it'll be Australia, and they'll lose

lisati
September 9th, 2007, 08:36 AM

So who is going to win?

My unbiased opinion is ..... The All Blacks ( New Zealand for the uninitiated);)

As a "Kiwi", I'm supporting the All Blacks. My second pick is Manu Samoa as worth watching.

p.s. Kiwi video @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7D7J5uHWJE

thisllub
September 9th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I predict the Springboks will beat the All Blacks after half the NZ team comes down with food poisoning after eating a meal of dodgy snails..

It would take a miracle for Australia to win.

groeswenphil
September 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Anybody see Wales v Canada?

Great second half.
Phil
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44105000/jpg/_44105665_rug9.jpg

spamzilla
September 9th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Sadly England have no chance in hell in winning back the WC. I think it will be a NZ vs SA final and I just hope the NZ don't win as I know a few Kiwi's!

MuFFiNuk
September 10th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Anybody see Wales v Canada?

Great second half.
Phil
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44105000/jpg/_44105665_rug9.jpg

Lol yeh, It didnt look good at the start though did it? Thankfully we actually started playing well through the second half. There were loads of subs though.

Come on Wales!

mips
September 10th, 2007, 04:05 PM
May I ask why you all rate South Africa so highly to get into the final ?

I just don't see it.

bruce89
September 10th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Bwhahhaaa, Scotland had the biggest win in the Northern Hemisphere.

I look forward to the Scotland vs. New Zealand game in Edinburgh.

Bart_D
September 10th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I have been dangled by the All Blacks for far too long...all they way from SA in '95 to wherever the heck in OZ it was in '03... for me to not buy into the "NZ peaks IN BETWEEN WCs and choke during one" theory. And now with a quarterfinal game (i.e. their FIRST real test) lined up with (potentially) France, you never know if histroy will repeat itself.

Anyway go All Blacks!

Onyros
September 10th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Bwhahhaaa, Scotland had the biggest win in the Northern Hemisphere.

I look forward to the Scotland vs. New Zealand game in Edinburgh.Awwww... come on... Portugal doesn't really count, does it? :P

bruce89
September 10th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Awwww... come on... Portugal doesn't really count, does it? :P

Not usually but anywhere counts if Scotland beats them.

Your lot did pretty well at points anyway.

happy-and-lost
September 10th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Please, not England. The absolute frenzy that gripped the nation last time we won was almost unbearable.

M$LOL
September 10th, 2007, 08:13 PM
LOL, they can't even stop the US getting a try, they have their work cut out for them if they want to get anywhere near a final. Jonny can only pull them through so far.

I'd say NZ are pretty much way ahead of everyone else atm, they can just power their way to victory. I can't see anyone other than SA beating them, and even then I think NZ are too good to let it slip again.

jgrabham
September 10th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Please, not England. The absolute frenzy that gripped the nation last time we won was almost unbearable.

haha yeah lol

bruce89
September 10th, 2007, 08:34 PM

You can say that again.

If I see that bloody kick again I'll be rather annoyed.

Bachstelze
September 14th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Seems unlikely England will win again, given tonight's match. At this rate, there will be no european team in the Top-4, we'll see what happens in Cardiff tomorrow...

NZ-Portugal tomorrow too. How much do you think ? 100-0 ? 150-0 ? :p Too bad it's in Lyon and I can't go watch that :D Oh well, I guess NZ-Romania will be fun to watch, too.

beercz
September 14th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Seems unlikely England will win again, given tonight's match. At this rate, there will be no european team in the Top-4, we'll see what happens in Cardiff tomorrow...

NZ-Portugal tomorrow too. How much do you think ? 100-0 ? 150-0 ? :p Too bad it's in Lyon and I can't go watch that :D Oh well', I guezz NZ-Romania will be fun to watch, too.
England were awful. Period.

beercz
September 14th, 2007, 10:36 PM
May I ask why you all rate South Africa so highly to get into the final ?

I just don't see it.
Tonight's performance perhaps?

Stemp
September 14th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Tonight's performance perhaps?

Yes for sure they are back in the race... impressive

lisati
September 15th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I'm not just waiting to see NZ vs Portugal but games involving Samoa (the lady of the house is of Samoan heritage) - it's Samoa vs Tonga on Monday night (NZ time)

Bart_D
September 15th, 2007, 02:09 AM
SAF should be 2nd favourites rather than the French. I'd even say Oz is higher up the peking order than Fra.

M$LOL
September 15th, 2007, 01:58 PM
South Africa would hammer the French. No question. They ripped England apart - admittedly England were in disarray, but SA still had to play well - and they would probably give NZ a good run for their money.

England really have to pull themselves together and beat Samoa and then knock the stuffing out of Georgia. If they can pull 60 points on them and play coherently then they might be in some decent shape for the quarter finals.

Bachstelze
September 15th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Australia won, but they weren't very impressive. NZ-SA final ahead, I guess :p

Stemp
September 15th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Irland-Georgia : 14-10 ? only four points ?
Ok so they'll have to defeat Argentina, and France will finish first :lolflag:

Australians weren't impressive at all but nice to see the Welsh back.

And of course nice to see Portugal scoring a try against NZ.

Bachstelze
September 16th, 2007, 01:24 AM

I was there, the game really sucked. Ireland-Namibia was much more pleasant to watch. Can't wait for NZ-Romania, I've never seen the Blacks in real yet :D

M$LOL
September 16th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Ok so they'll have to defeat Argentina, and France will finish first :lolflag:

Australians weren't impressive at all but nice to see the Welsh back.

And of course nice to see Portugal scoring a try against NZ.

I was there, the game really sucked. Ireland-Namibia was much more pleasant to watch. Can't wait for NZ-Romania, I've never seen the Blacks in real yet :D

Both matches were appalling. Ireland need to do something completely different against France. They were a better team than them in the 6N, they need to go back to that. If they can do that, they will be able to beat France.

Johnsie
September 16th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I think Ireland have completely fallen apart since the six nations. At first I thought it was just because they were playing cut down teams over the summer, but then after the Italy, Namibia and nowthe Georgia games I'm thinking that Ireland is failing across the board. I think if Ireland and Wales played each other right now Wales would win generously. So will Ireland improve enough in 6 days to beat France? I doubt it.

Wales played really well but the southern hemishere teams look indestructible. I think South Africa have been a joy to watch. I'd rather see them win the world cup because New Zealand are just too good and need some real competition.

M$LOL
September 16th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Yeah, they might have completely fallen apart, and if that's happened, they are screwed.

But playing against France in Stade de France is completely different to playing Namibia in some small stadium in who knows where. Hopefully they'll rise out of the ashes and give Frace a game. Remember, France are under more pressure than Ireland, so we'll see what'll happen.

Johnsie
September 16th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Ireland have every reason to perform against France... France have been a thorn in the Irish flesh for a few years now and it's time for them to get revenge. I think they'll take France alot more seriously than Georgia or Namibia. They are are going to have to up their game alot though. At least Ronan O'Garas kicking improved a bit on Saturday.

dentaku65
September 16th, 2007, 08:08 PM
What a game that was (NZ-Italy). No offense to Italy but they just didn't look like they could be bothered, I mean 40 something - 7 in the first half... It was funny to watch.

Its Aus - Jap on atm but I just wanna see the Wales game now

Welll... thanks, but it was only a bad day for the "azzurri" :-) :-)

Stemp
September 17th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Welll... thanks, but it was only a bad day for the "azzurri" :-) :-)

It was a bad week for the Northern hemisphere ;)

M$LOL
September 17th, 2007, 05:27 PM
It was a bad week for the Northern hemisphere ;)

It's been nothing but bad weeks ever since a second after Martin Johnson lifted the trophy in 03. Not one NH team has been even near the level of that team with the possible exception of Ireland during the 6N, and even then they still lost to France.

RedMist
September 17th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I just hope Ireland can finally get their act together against France on Friday and play the type of game we know they can play. No disrespect to France but we owe them for the 6Nations.

Stemp
September 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM
It's been nothing but bad weeks ever since a second after Martin Johnson lifted the trophy in 03. It's been nothing but bad weeks ever since a second after Martin Johnson lifted the trophy in 03. Not one NH team has been even near the level of that team with the possible exception of Ireland during the 6N, and even then they still lost to France.

You really think Ireland was near the level of NZ during the 6N ?

But it's possible to beat the Southerner :
Cape Town June 24, 2006 : SA / France : 26-36
Marseille November 5, 2005 : France / Asutralia : 26-16
you just have to forget :
Wellington June 9, 2007 : NZ/France : 61-10 ;)

dynamethod
September 17th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Yeah i think we(All Blacks) are going to win this time, our only real threats are Australia and South Africa i think

M$LOL
September 17th, 2007, 09:14 PM
You really think Ireland was near the level of NZ during the 6N ?

But it's possible to beat the Southerner :
Cape Town June 24, 2006 : SA / France : 26-36
Marseille November 5, 2005 : France / Asutralia : 26-16
you just have to forget :
Wellington June 9, 2007 : NZ/France : 61-10 ;)

Yes, I do. They can be awesome on their day. They have talent to match the ABs, they just need the physicality and they need to stop playing like donkeys.

England proved in 2003 that the ABs are not gods. Someone just needs to do what England did to them then. I think SA can beat them, but it's a tough ask.

Stemp
September 17th, 2007, 09:27 PM
England proved in 2003 that the ABs are not gods.

If I remember well Australia prove it. England only defeated exhausted Australians ;)

M$LOL
September 17th, 2007, 09:36 PM
If I remember well Australia prove it. England only defeated exhausted Australians ;)

In the WC yes, but England also beat them 15-13 sometime before that.

Stemp
September 20th, 2007, 12:14 AM
So Scotland-Romania was boring, Italia-Portugal fun to watch, Walles-japan will be probably fun too... but what about Friday ?

What's your bet ?

For me : the French have to win, if not they'll have to hide for years.

lisati
September 20th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Call me biased, but I think the All Blacks are in with a chance. I'm also kinda following the team from Samoa. What I've seen of the English matches I've found mildly disappointing - what would the people from Rugby say?

Stemp
September 20th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Call me biased, but I think the All Blacks are in with a chance. I'm also kinda following the team from Samoa. What I've seen of the English matches I've found mildly disappointing - what would the people from Rugby say?

The English matches are disappointing for me when they win :lolflag:
And yes NZ are still on top. But let see the finals. They were also the favorite during the last wordl cup.

clash
September 20th, 2007, 12:35 AM
The Northern Hemisphere teams are REALLY bad at the moment. Don't know whats wrong with Ireland in particular.

lisati
September 20th, 2007, 12:42 AM
I had a chance to see the ABs play at the park across my back fence a year ot two back, but missed going to the game because we had guests, and couldn't see much through the trees either. By the time I'd managed to extricate myself the game was over, and it was autograph time.

Bachstelze
September 21st, 2007, 10:02 PM
Woohooo ! France just won the right to lose against the Blacks in quarters :D

M$LOL
September 21st, 2007, 10:30 PM
That match was a disaster. But the ref didn't help.

bruce89
September 21st, 2007, 10:41 PM
And yes NZ are still on top. But let see the finals. They were also the favorite during the last wordl cup.

We'll see if this is the case after Scotland beat them on Sunday.

Bachstelze
September 22nd, 2007, 09:18 AM
We'll see if this is the case after Scotland beat them on Sunday.

Haha, I'm 100% behind you guys :D *doesn't want to meet the Blacks so early* And a Scotland-France would be a very nice quarter, they're the best two northern teams so far...

O Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
Your like again...

M$LOL
September 22nd, 2007, 11:34 AM
O Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
Your like again...

That fought and died for
Your wee bit hill and glen
And stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
To think again

Johnsie
September 22nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
Ireland have blown their chances. Their performances have been pathetic. Too many silly mistakes. I don't think they will beat Argentina let alone score 4 tries against them.

Bachstelze
September 22nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
SA and England logically won their games. I guess Tonga-England will be the big match of the group.

Argentina-Namibia tonight.

bruce89
September 22nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
Poor Ireland, they need to get 50 points against Argy now.

More pressure on us to do well.

And a Scotland-France would be a very nice quarter, they're the best two northern teams so far...

Now those are words I never thought I'd hear together.

Stemp
September 22nd, 2007, 10:12 PM
@bruce89 : Auld Alliance is back ;)

bruce89
September 22nd, 2007, 10:16 PM
@bruce89 : Auld Alliance is back ;)

If only France could play NZ with us, we might stand a chance.

Bachstelze
September 22nd, 2007, 11:16 PM
Now those are words I never thought I'd hear together.

All right, "the least bad" :D

bruce89
September 22nd, 2007, 11:19 PM
All right, "the least bad" :D

That's more like it.

groeswenphil
September 23rd, 2007, 09:44 AM
Went to see Canada v Fiji at Cardiff Millennium Stadium last Sunday with my Fijian friend Vimal and his son. Brilliant day out. Although the crowd only quarter filled the place, the atmosphere was tremendous, being filled with people who you would not usually associate with rugby.
Towards the end Fiji were just 6 points ahead and my friend started working on his nails. Then, from about 5 minutes to the end, Canada pitched camp about 2 metres from the Fijian line, attempting to physically push the ruck and the ball over the line. As the clock ticked ever onwards towards 80 minutes, Vimal closed his eyes....then 80 minutes passed and suddenly the ball popped out on the Fiji side, was passed to the full back, who only had to kick the ball into the crowd to end the game. Instead......he ran the length of the pitch and scored a try....perfect end to a perfect day.

One day, a team like Fiji will really shake the big boys......maybe not in my lifetime, but who knows.

All the best,
Phil

groeswenphil
September 23rd, 2007, 02:13 PM
I'm wondering..............would it be possible to pick players from every other rugby team playing in the World Cup, to form a rest of the world team......and could they take on and beat the All Blacks?

Phil

bruce89
September 23rd, 2007, 05:48 PM
Sorry about losing to the All Blacks, 40 points isn't good.

Bachstelze
September 23rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
I'm wondering..............would it be possible to pick players from every other rugby team playing in the World Cup, to form a rest of the world team......and could they take on and beat the All Blacks?

They would still lose. Sounds like a fair game if you take all the players from all the other teams, though.

martincho90
September 24th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Agreed with both posts above mine. You could not believe all the media stuff currently going on in France...
Pressure, yes, maybe.

This afternoon game was enjoyable (NZ-Italy). Good game :)Well, if you have a look on the last 6 matches beetwen France and Argentina......can't be surprised:

2007: Argentina 17 - France 12, Paris
2006: France 27 - Argentina 26, Paris
2004: Argentina 24 - France 14, Marsella
2003: Argentina 33 - France 32, Buenos Aires
2003: Argentina 10 - France 6, Buenos Aires
2002: Argentina 28 - France 27, Buenos Aires

Ireland can win next Sunday, but does anybody think they can score 4 tries in the argentinean in-goal (haven't received any try in 3 games)?

Anyway lets think positive and look the glass half full: we can watch the "world cup final" in the quarter finals: All Blacks-France.:)

M$LOL
September 24th, 2007, 05:09 PM

It's not too bad for a second team against the best side in the world who pulled 108 points against Portugal and 70-something against Italy. The first team might have actually scored against them =D

xpod
September 24th, 2007, 05:34 PM

After the first 20 mins i actually thought the score was going to be far worse.
I switched off after 15-0 and watched another croc of s**t called the Condemned instead:(

Never mind.....the curling season will be around again soon:)

martincho90
September 30th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Vamos Pumas ******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good

Goodbye Ireland

Good luck France in the match with the All Blacks

Good Pumas!!!!

Montsegur87
September 30th, 2007, 06:11 PM
nice mtach

bapoumba
October 6th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Wowowowow \o/

santiagoward2000
October 6th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Argentina! Argentina!

proalan
October 6th, 2007, 09:53 PM
congratulations France, quite a good game.

spamzilla
October 6th, 2007, 09:54 PM
What a great days rugby!! Not only do England achieve the impossible, but the Kiwi's lose too :D

Maybe we (England) now have a chance in retaining our trophy and world champions status :D

Stemp
October 6th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Wowowowow \o/

Houahhhhhhhh, we did it (again) :lolflag:

floke
October 6th, 2007, 11:48 PM

So who is going to win?

Bye!

slimdog360
October 7th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Bye!

lol.

I shouldn't say that cause the Aussies lost also.

Bachstelze
October 7th, 2007, 02:34 AM
France will lose to England. They can do this once, not twice (remember 1999). And this time, they even needed a bit of help from the ref' :p

Bart_D
October 7th, 2007, 03:00 AM
IF there were doubts before, well, they have been wiped out now...it's official:

The Rugby World Cup chokers are New Zealand

PS: On a side note, this feels like the Saturday during the soccer World Cup last year when 2 "juicy" teams were lining eachother up ALSO in the quarterfinal stage, for what would have been a dramatic semi-final showdown..England and Brazil...and both lost. The life was sucked right out of the tournament. Same has happened with the RWC.

PS 2...for the uninitiated: The "unofficial World Cup" is held every year. It's called the TRI-NATIONS...and the New Zealand All Blacks have won 4 out of the last 5 tournaments. I could care less about a 1 game knock out format..you MOST CERTAINLY do NOT determine the best team in that format.

hey_mrs_tee
October 7th, 2007, 03:24 AM
oh noooooo....

i was guttered when i watched the ABs vs France.

*screams* C'mon ref, that was a forward pass.

ooo and yea....i was curious why did the ref sin binned luke macallister?

It certainly didn't look intentional to me > (

but yea....france didnt win respectfully....not from me at least. Anybody out there supporting me? =P

right now, my only wish is to have RSA winning the cup (southern hemisphere)

hey_mrs_tee
October 7th, 2007, 03:26 AM
oh noooooo....

and it sure does feel like the Finals between France and Italy....with the head butting incidence.

but yea....france didnt win respectfully....not from me at least. Anybody out there supporting me? =P

Bart_D
October 7th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Yes, but I;ve learnt to take these tournaments with a grain of salt. IF you check the world rankings 4 out of every 5 years, the All Blacks WILL be No. 1....and there's a reason for that. Thsi tournament is over as far as I;'m concerned.

hey_mrs_tee
October 7th, 2007, 03:34 AM
I'm just curious, how many Ubuntunians/common people out there really think the ABs could've pull through the quarter finals smoothly provided if Luke Maccallister wasn't sin binned and the forward pass was caught preventing a Try from the french?

Alternatively, Did The ABs loss because they lacked ideas when under pressure.

Feel free to discuss.

I myself will be an ABs supporter forever and thus blame the loss on the ref. I know I'm a lousy sportsmen but ...... ah well!!

kanem
October 7th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Allez le bleu!!

I just came from a pub that was jammed packed with frenchies, and man, that stuff was wild. Can't wait for the France/England match.

frup
October 7th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Shocking stuff... It still hasn't fully sunk in. I can't imagine how disappointed NZ's tv3 is, they spent millions to secure the broadcasting rights to the cup.

I hope Fiji wins, that would be cool.

frup
October 7th, 2007, 05:15 AM
I think we should be glad we didn't play Argentina, probably would have got our arses kicked haha.

spamzilla
October 7th, 2007, 07:47 AM
oh noooooo....

and it sure does feel like the Finals between France and Italy....with the head butting incidence.

The fact of the matter is, France deserved to win and NZ were poor. NZ may be the worlds best side, but we all know we can rely on them choking time and time again, and please, how did France not win 'respectfully?'

They deserved it, get over it :lolflag:

groeswenphil
October 7th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Personally I rather fancy Fiji !!!!!!!!!!
Love their shirts anyway.

Phil

fast eddie
October 7th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Like most I am still in shock after the All Blacks defeat but the French did deserve to win.

As a neutral watching the game - Wales losing on purpose to give everyone else a chance :lolflag: it would be nice to see Fiji vs France in the final with Fiji winning.

hey_mrs_tee
October 7th, 2007, 09:42 AM
I think we should be glad we didn't play Argentina, probably would have got our arses kicked haha.

based on what facts?

the underdog status?

NotTheMessiah
October 7th, 2007, 10:00 AM
The French were courageous and played with a lot of heart. They absorbed a lot and made so many tackles. The ending was electric. Well done

hey_mrs_tee
October 7th, 2007, 10:44 AM
why REF!!!!
WHY!!!

i must say they french defence was spot on!

M$LOL
October 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Allez le bleu!!

I just came from a pub that was jammed packed with frenchies, and man, that stuff was wild. Can't wait for the France/England match.

Come on England :P

bapoumba
October 7th, 2007, 08:54 PM
@ hey_mrs_tee: merged your thread here.

Montsegur87
October 7th, 2007, 11:20 PM
We won , but Scotland played better than us in the 2nd half.

RedMist
October 7th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Argentina looked tired tonight but did enough to win. I really hope they can beat the boks and make the final. It would be great for them to win it and that would be two fingers to the blazers who wont give them an international competition.
VAMOS PUMAS!!

Stemp
October 11th, 2007, 09:16 PM
So ! ready for Saturday ?

Ok for me, of course, France in Final and I think SA (even if they weren't impressive in quarter).

Johnsie
October 11th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I think France will win their game quite comfortably. The Other match will be more of a contest. I'm thinking a France vs Argentina final might give Eddie O'Sullivan some breathing space. It doesn't really excuse Irealnds Namiba/Georgia performances but at least it shows that Group F was clearly the toughest group in the tournament to qualify from. I'd personally like Eddie to stay on but only if he's a bit stricter with O'Gara. Paddy Wallace needs to be given more experience and Ireland definitely need to improve their kicking

Hopefully some hard lessons have been learned ahead of the Six Nations... Which I think should soon become the 7 Nations if Argentina can join. Guess it would be pretty hard for the home nations and the fans to travel to argentina every year though.

mips
October 12th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Hopefully some hard lessons have been learned ahead of the Six Nations... Which I think should soon become the 7 Nations if Argentina can join.

I don't see that happening as the 6 nations are only for northern hemisphere countries from what I can tell. It would be more likely for Argentina to join the Tri nations in the southern hemisphere.

Stemp
October 12th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I don't see that happening as the 6 nations are only for northern hemisphere countries from what I can tell. It would be more likely for Argentina to join the Tri nations in the southern hemisphere.

Right, but the level of the Tri-Nations is too low.
Only one team in the semi-finals :lolflag:

mips
October 13th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Right, but the level of the Tri-Nations is too low.
Only one team in the semi-finals :lolflag:

lol, that might be true in the WC but if we look at the averages over time the southern hemisphere kicks *** ;)

Stemp
October 13th, 2007, 03:36 PM
lol, that might be true in the WC but if we look at the averages over time the southern hemisphere kicks *** ;)

It's only a joke and perhaps my last joke, tonight I might be in my bed crying ;)

proalan
October 13th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Wow another good game. England coming into form, but i predict we shall lose in the final possibly.

Unlucky France, you did well in this world cup

C'est la vie

beercz
October 13th, 2007, 09:45 PM
England are in the Final!!!! YYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on England!!!!!!

Stemp
October 13th, 2007, 09:45 PM
If you are looking for me, I'm in my bed crying ! :)

Good game England, they deserve to win.

craig1709
October 13th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I don't think I even need to say anything besides
YEEEEEEEEEESSS! as beercz put it. Two years in a row, could it be possible...?

public_void
October 13th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Amazing, didn't think they could do it. Well done England.

Thyme
October 13th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Goodbye France :) Looking forward to a SA and England final. Another cleansheet for us !

jgrabham
October 13th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Goodbye France :) Looking forward to a SA and England final. Another cleansheet for us !

Nah man, we have to stuff the argies!!!

Swing Low, Sweet Chariot

floke
October 13th, 2007, 10:18 PM
England vs Argentina ... in a world cup final...

Can you imagine it?

The word 'epic' doesn't even start to capture what it would be like.

getaboat
October 13th, 2007, 10:20 PM
blimey.....England football this afternoon left me cold...BUT this is emotion writ large and I could cry. I hope my liver can stand another assault next week. Come on lads

jgrabham
October 13th, 2007, 10:22 PM
blimey.....England football this afternoon left me cold...BUT this is emotion writ large and I could cry. I hope my liver can stand another assault next week. Come on lads

You could always stop watching wusses in little shorts rolling around on the floor because they broke a nail...

triphazard
October 13th, 2007, 10:47 PM

You can say that again...despite winning 3-0 the football team were pretty appalling. But wow, that Rugby match was something else. Come on England!!!

ArtF10
October 13th, 2007, 11:12 PM
So history DOES repeat itself. As was the case 8 years ago, France lose after beating the All-Blacks.

Stemp
October 13th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Ok so everybody agree that this World Cup is strange.
So I propose to start it again from scratch !

OK ? good... let's start again with France-Argentina. :lolflag:

ArtF10
October 13th, 2007, 11:33 PM
I garontee you, you would have not said that at this time last Saturday.

PriceChild
October 13th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Go Team :d

Stemp
October 13th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I garontee you, you would have not said that at this time last Saturday.

What ? me a bad loser !!! absolutely not !! :-P

serfcx
October 14th, 2007, 12:12 AM
He He He !

Argentina or SA, Bring 'em ON !!!!!!!!

hey_mrs_tee
October 14th, 2007, 03:40 AM
C'MON SA!!!!

NZ rellies on you to smash England up...provided if you are in the finals!!

and france....you should've let the ABs win the QF...so we can help smash england for you...now look what you've done =(

Obor
October 14th, 2007, 04:24 AM
I really hope SA will beat Argentina tomorrow and show England thing or two next week. Come on SA!!!

PriceChild
October 14th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Obor your wish has been granted.....

COME ON ENGLAND!!! :D

killkoy
October 15th, 2007, 12:10 AM
loved the match yesterday, was climbing today so missed the match today so missed the SA-srgentina.

COME ON ENGLAND!!! :D

ArtF10
October 15th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Sorry Eng-er-land, the fairy-tale ends here. There's a reason why the Boks were second favourites....and I wouldn't have given you a chance against the favourite All Blacks so I am certinly going to write off your chances against the Saffas. Plus, history is against you....no team has successfully defended the Web-Ellis trophy.

Prediction: SAF 24-14 Eng

PS: I really would prefer the Poms because I can;t stand the prospect of the All Blacks being the only side, from the superior hemisphere, with ONE World Cup victory....while the others (both of whom I hate strongly) have 2.

PS #2: If you'd told me at the start of the tournament that England would make it out of this half of the draw, I'd have had a good laugh. AFter 4 years of misery, and English rugby showing virtually no signs of life in the 6 Nations, where did they come from?

hey_mrs_tee
October 15th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Sorry Eng-er-land, the fairy-tale ends here. There's a reason why the Boks were second favourites....and I wouldn't have given you a chance against the favourite All Blacks so I am certinly going to write off your chances against the Saffas. Plus, history is against you....no team has successfully defended the Web-Ellis trophy.

Prediction: SAF 24-14 Eng

PS: I really would prefer the Poms because I can;t stand the prospect of the All Blacks being the only side, from the superior hemisphere, with ONE World Cup victory....while the others (both of whom I hate strongly) have 2.

PS #2: If you'd told me at the start of the tournament that England would make it out of this half of the draw, I'd have had a good laugh. AFter 4 years of misery, and English rugby showing virtually no signs of life in the 6 Nations, where did they come from?

Amen!!

God defend the queen and england =) they might need them :rolleyes:

mips
October 15th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Personally I would have preferred it if the French had won.

But on the other hand the general sentiment here is that we are better off playing England as it would be easier to play them than the French if they are on form.

WinterWeaver
October 15th, 2007, 03:54 PM
GOGO Bokke!!! Bring the Cup back to teh Southern Hemisphere!!

:popcorn:

bruce89
October 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM
At least we won't have Argentina v England in the final, this year is the 25th anniverary of the Falklands war.

The Grum
October 15th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Yes, but we did have Argentina vs Scotland. We were involed too :D

Well played by Argentina though. Its amazing that they do not get regular internationals like we do (no 6- or tri-nations) and yet play so well.

kanem
October 15th, 2007, 04:52 PM
But on the other hand the general sentiment here is that we are better off playing England as it would be easier to play them than the French if they are on form.
Uh oh. That's probably what Australia and France thought.

I'm going for the Boks. It's a lot of fun to be in an English pub rooting for the other side. Although I imagine there will be some kind of street party if England wins, which could be kind of fun. I'm torn.

M$LOL
October 15th, 2007, 06:42 PM
England vs Argentina ... in a world cup final...

Can you imagine it?

The word 'epic' doesn't even start to capture what it would be like.

The word "crap" does though. Thankfully it's not going to happen, and all SA have to do is beat up physically an already bruised and battered pack of forwards who are England's only way of retaining any sort of meaningful possesion, and they'll win easily.

bruce89
October 15th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Yes, but we did have Argentina vs Scotland. We were involed too :D

We don't get so excited about these modern wars. We remember our wars of independence though.

ice60
October 15th, 2007, 07:15 PM
*yawn* rugby is so boring and predictable, because England always win, it's not fair they should give some other country a chance.

shifty_powers
October 15th, 2007, 07:33 PM
The word "crap" does though. Thankfully it's not going to happen, and all SA have to do is beat up physically an already bruised and battered pack of forwards who are England's only way of retaining any sort of meaningful possesion, and they'll win easily.

Meh, anyone who has a name such as M$LOL, is not going to worry me with their opinions :P

mips
October 15th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Uh oh. That's probably what Australia and France thought.

I'm going for the Boks. It's a lot of fun to be in an English pub rooting for the other side. Although I imagine there will be some kind of street party if England wins, which could be kind of fun. I'm torn.

I like the french rugby team. The one time (not to long ago) I was in the pub and screaming for the french. The rest of the people could not believe it and jokingly threatend to kick me out of the pub. My response was "Viva le france!" :)

Stemp
October 19th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Congratulations Pumas !!

It was a very nice game to watch ;)

And now ..... go South Africa !!!

Montsegur87
October 19th, 2007, 11:23 PM
LOL , 3rd place.

Is Argentina the revelation of the Cup? We don't pay much attention to rugby in Argentina , but this made it to the news.

Good Match France , idem RSA who were beter than us.

Stemp
October 20th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Is Argentina the revelation of the Cup?

For me, YES.
Argentina is a wonderful team. I know a lot of players (11 of them are playing in the French Championship), and they were just great.
I hope this is just the beginning for them.

bruce89
October 20th, 2007, 12:31 AM
It's nice to know we lost to the team that came 3rd.

Montsegur87
October 20th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the comments !

beercz
October 20th, 2007, 12:56 PM
COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!

floke
October 20th, 2007, 01:01 PM
+1

=d>=d>=d>=d>=d>=d>=d>

curuxz
October 20th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Come On England!!!!!!!!!!!

MalfunctioningMartian
October 20th, 2007, 08:22 PM
First points to SA! YAY.

beercz
October 20th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Well it wasn't to be for England!

But congratulations and well done South Africa.

Bad luck England.

Stemp
October 20th, 2007, 09:47 PM
YES !! We are the Champions !!!!!!

Well... not really but England is not, that's the most important :lolflag:

Anyway great game, even the English played well.

Mazza558
October 20th, 2007, 09:54 PM
You would have thought that as the country who invented Rugby, we would be the best at it... :p

Good game though. Both sides played very well.

beercz
October 20th, 2007, 09:58 PM
You would have thought that as the country who invented Rugby, we would be the best at it... :p

You could say the same about football. At least our rugby team has performed better than our football team.

Never mind, there's always next time .....

PriceChild
October 20th, 2007, 10:01 PM
That was so a try :'(

Ah well, congrats SA.

I thought the english commentators were hilarious... they just wouldn't let that try decision go... "Well yes lets just leave that alone now, that game will go on, the decision has been made. Mistakes happen, and that was one."

WinterWeaver
October 20th, 2007, 10:14 PM
YAY!!! Grats Bokke!!! woot!

:guitar:

Stemp
October 20th, 2007, 10:21 PM

I agree, it was a try !! a penalty try against England !

proalan
October 20th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Well done South Africa!

A much deserved victory and worthy champions.

Wish I was in Paris, it looks like theres a bit of a party going on.

bruce89
October 20th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Thank god.

That "try" was about as much a try as Wilkinson's against Scotland last year.

ajeffreys
October 20th, 2007, 10:35 PM
South Africa deserved it, but it certainly was a try. Well done to England for getting there.

RudolfMDLT
October 20th, 2007, 10:56 PM
BBBBOKKEEEEEEEEEEE! :guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::g uitar::guitar:

WELL DONE SOUTH AFRICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RudolfMDLT
October 20th, 2007, 11:01 PM

Ah well, congrats SA.

I thought the english commentators were hilarious... they just wouldn't let that try decision go... "Well yes lets just leave that alone now, that game will go on, the decision has been made. Mistakes happen, and that was one."

an out is an out, even by half a toe! :)

Well, I'll have to give it to the English, they truly came from the bottom and in the last 2 or 3 games they BELIEVED and played a hell of a game - well done and well played boys!

raul_
October 20th, 2007, 11:28 PM
As the english captain said, these are things that happen during the game, sometimes you get the decision, sometimes you don't. Kudos ro his fair play :)

Fair play is rugby's trademark.

Congratulations to both teams

Stemp
October 21st, 2007, 12:39 AM
See you all in 4 years in NZ ?

kanem
October 21st, 2007, 01:37 AM
I agree: it was a try.Which would have resulted in....

England still losing.

hey_mrs_tee
October 21st, 2007, 06:12 AM
I agree: it was a try.Which would have resulted in....

England still losing.

AMEN!!

anyhow, see you all in NZ 2011 where the cup belongs!!

RudolfMDLT
October 21st, 2007, 09:00 AM
See you all in 4 years in NZ ?

Definitely! Can't wait! :) :popcorn:

rye_
October 21st, 2007, 09:11 AM
I know I'm supposed to be gracious in defeat, but......

RSA were not the better team.
It WAS a try.

England were the victims of a sporting conspiracy; i.e. we thrashed both the host country and the homeland of the 4th official.

groeswenphil
October 21st, 2007, 09:50 AM
So.........there are two great things that come from South Africa:-
rugby teams and operating systems.

Phil

Obor
October 21st, 2007, 10:11 AM
Try or not they would still win IMO. Well done SA. :popcorn:

fast eddie
October 21st, 2007, 10:31 AM
It was a not try - his foot touched the line b4 he placed the ball on the ground.

curuxz
October 21st, 2007, 10:49 AM
Well done to SA you guys deserved to win! :)

All I can say is well done to England you guys did us proud by getting this far and not loosing 36 nill again, at least you got some points! :)

curuxz
October 21st, 2007, 10:50 AM
It was a not try - his foot touched the line b4 he placed the ball on the ground.

Sadly....+1

weatherman
October 21st, 2007, 02:21 PM
Congratulations to SA! On german newspapers (faz at least) they're talking quite a bit about the "problem" that almost all SA players are white, so I'm curious if the average black kid does really care about it, or if rugby is followed mostly by white people anyhow. Would be nice get some comments from SA :)

Thyme
October 21st, 2007, 03:05 PM
A couple of years ago the problem of having enough blacks in the squad was at it's peak.

Unlike in the past when any group of black players were put in the squad for half a game, we now have great black players like Pieterson, Habana and Willemse. But nowadays nobody really talks about it. Having won the world cup is sure to be the preferred topic of discussion !

M$LOL
October 21st, 2007, 07:07 PM
*yawn* rugby is so boring and predictable, because England always win, it's not fair they should give some other country a chance.
England couldn't even beat Argentina in Twickienham the last time they played. They aren't a good team, they've won their games in the WC by slowing down the game and keeping the game low scoring. When they come up against a team that can deal with that, they lose.

Meh, anyone who has a name such as M$LOL, is not going to worry me with their opinions :P
One gets tired listening to irrelevant comments about one's username.

RudolfMDLT
October 23rd, 2007, 06:13 AM
Congratulations to SA! On german newspapers (faz at least) they're talking quite a bit about the "problem" that almost all SA players are white, so I'm curious if the average black kid does really care about it, or if rugby is followed mostly by white people anyhow. Would be nice get some comments from SA :)

Lets not get to racial about this 'cause trust me - there is way enough of that in my country. The problem with the springboks being mostly white is that there are no VERY good black rugby athleats in South Africa AT THE MOMENT. For 50 years black people where not allowed to play white sports ect ect ect... everybody knows the history. It takes years to develop players and you need to start at an early age. Brain Habana, JP Pieterson and Breyten Paulse are coloured but they are natural and brilliant young supper athleats.

As for black rugby players, not so many black children want to play the game, they prefer soccer in comparison with almost every white kid plating rugby some time in his life. There are programs to develop sepcifically black players and they are producing some good players on a provincial level. Give it about another 10 - 15 years and you'll have at least a 50/50 team filled with players whom deserve to be there.

On a more negative note - Jake White, the RSA coach is leaving the team, one of the reasons is because of politicians forcing him to play black players that don't deserve to be there. 3 years back I played in a tournament with 5 teams, 2 where from black schools and 100% black. Out of the three white teams, only 13 white players where told to continue to the next round while both the two black teams where in there entirety told as group that they will go through to the next round. To give you an idea, coloured people don't count as black people even though they too where "previously disadvantaged". Having a coloured player is only half as good as having a black player. The guy that is in control of the SA-Rugby Union has never touched a rugby ball in his life. Thats how bad the race issue is, please don't rub salt in a wound that really needs to heal.

On a more positive note - Yes we are developing black players in EVERY sport in RSA. There are plenty of black people that do support the Rugby even though they might be a small majority of the black race in RSA. :)

Just an open question: If you had to pick a team, would you pick a politically correct team: 80%, 1% coloured, 7%indian and 11% white

and lose

or pick a team that wins, that the nation can be proud of and that is made up of players that are the BEST that the nation can produce. What is more important to a professional sportsman and a supporter?
EDIT: I'm basically asking, should politicians be allowed to override a coach and a team?

Nunu
October 23rd, 2007, 06:25 AM
GO BOKKE!!!!!

I am sure that the White to Black ratio in SA rugby will have changed by the next world cup. There are some very promisesing black players comming out now.

Like RudolfMDLT Said in the past black people wern't allowed to play "White Sports" But that has changed now and all the younger black people who recieved propper coaching in schools are comming to the end of there school careers and is taking the sporting world by storm aspecially in Rugby and Cricket.

Nunu
October 23rd, 2007, 06:32 AM
Just an open question: If you had to pick a team, would you pick a politically correct team: 80%, 1% coloured, 7%indian and 11% white

and lose

or pick a team that wins, that the nation can be proud of and that is made up of players that are the BEST that the nation can produce. What is more important to a professional sportsman and a supporter?
EDIT: I'm basically asking, should politicians be allowed to override a coach and a team?

Sorry i know i seem like a hypocrite but some of our politicians can't even do there own jobs never mind that of a department of which they have no idea of how it works. To put a Linux Swing on this i can use this "we have Windows Admins try and administer SUN, We have Novell admins trying to run Linux, and we have Linux Admins trying to play golf" :D

mips
November 6th, 2007, 07:41 PM
As for the issue of race quotas in SA rugby it looks like the gov might make an about turn.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/More_Sport/0,,2-9-32_2216221,00.html

Govt: No quotas, develop talent
06/11/2007 19:39 - (SA)

Cape Town - South Africa's sports minister ruled out racial quotas for national teams on Tuesday after the mainly white Springboks' recent victory in the rugby world cup re-ignited the debate over transformation.
"Quotas are out," Makhenkesi Stofile (http://www.whoswhosa.co.za/Pages/profilefull.aspx?IndID=2195) told a parliamentary sports committee.
"Let us put our resources into the development of talent."
The presence of only two black players in the winning team's starting line-up, 13 years after the end of white minority rule, has led to a new bout of soul-searching about how to ensure the progress of more black players.
Politicians, including President Thabo Mbeki (http://www.whoswhosa.co.za/Pages/profilefull.aspx?IndID=895), have reiterated the need for true racial transformation in a country with an 80% black population.
But Stofile said quotas were not the answer, as a failed experiment in South African rugby showed a few years ago.
"Quotas were used only for window dressing for international consumption," he said. "Those who have the money go and buy the players...instead of developing the boys where they are."
Stofile said black children, mostly poor, needed proper nutrition and facilities to help them develop the bone structure and muscle tone required for sports participation from an early age.
"We must kill the myth that...black people cannot play certain sporting codes because they are black," the minister told MPs.
"Let us put our resources into the development of talent."
About R200m would be needed for this purpose annually, said Stofile, who argued for the creation of a national developmental rugby squad.
"We (the government) are not going to decide who must be on the team. All we are saying is: expose everybody, give them an opportunity."