PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Administration

ladynikon
September 7th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Greetings all

I am moving from the user phase to the linux admin phase. I wanted to know is ubuntu a good distro for linux admins? I run ubuntu and gentoo. I want to get good at one distro. Can ubuntu be an advanced user or linux admins best friend? or Should I move onto something else?

Also, for a beginning Linux admin. What do you suggest I focus my skills on?

Thanks,
LadyNikon:guitar:

jnorthr
September 7th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Dear Lady -
I had the same dilema six months ago, but just feel that ubuntu has such an ardent following that it will eventually win hands-down. This is just based on using the desktop version. I have not moved into trying the server versions using LAMP and it's various components, but for me, it gives just enough of a challenge to really make it truly satisfying when it comes right. Also great support from this forum makes it a pleasure. It's your call.

i love it cos the command line reminds me of my favorite operating system ever, the Burroughs MCP. It was command-line driven and was a wonder for it's day ('70's), it was a ferrari compared to IBM's model-T (imho):lolflag:

reckless2k2
September 7th, 2007, 06:03 PM
well if you are truly a gentoo user then ubuntu server admin should be cake for you. you won't be afraid of the command line. i've run quite a few different servers with ubuntu (mail, web, ftp, music) all with good results.

as stated by jnorthr, the strength is in the support community and more than likely someone has written a how to for what you need since the community is so robust.

personally, i prefer more stable distros to run servers on even though i have dabbled with ubuntu server. i typically cut over to a more stable os when doing a full implementation. ubuntu is great though. server adoption will be slow though in general.

when you think ubuntu...you think desktop linux...not server.

daveshields
September 7th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I agree with jNorth. Ubuntu is the best attempt I've yet seen at providing Linux for the Masses, and everyone who uses and helps encourage others to use Ubuntu is helping that cause.

jamesstansell
September 8th, 2007, 07:24 AM
You mentioned wanting to get good at one distro, and I think Ubuntu would be great for that. If you want to go further though, may I suggest installing Debian? You'll quickly see that Ubuntu and Debian are closely related. But Debian has the reputation for being more stable, which most admins favor. ;-)

As for what to focus on first, one suggestion might be security setup. Followed by the LAMP stack. Followed by file and print sharing. Followed by mail, IM and directory services. Followed by various Java based servers. And then LVM/EVMS and RAID, if you haven't already picked them up.

Another suggestion would be to pick an appropriate book and follow it. But, really, where do your interests lie?

Regards,

-james.

ladynikon
September 8th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Another suggestion would be to pick an appropriate book and follow it. But, really, where do your interests lie?

Regards,

-james.

Thats a good question. I would like to get email, a working webserver and print server up and going. Security we have a firewall going so I guess I never thought about it. silly me.. maybe I should. I have heard Iptables are a nightmare though :S

jnorthr
September 8th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Iptables ? No sweat, go here: http://safari.oreilly.com/search and put iptables in the search box with the GO button after it. click GO, then see Trouble Shooting Linux Firewalls. Click on the topic 'using iptables' then also see Related Articles at the bottom of the page - Trouble In Ip Pages.
Then come back here for part 2 :KS

mips
September 8th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Iptables ? No sweat, go here: http://safari.oreilly.com/search and put iptables in the search box with the GO button after it. click GO, then see Trouble Shooting Linux Firewalls. Click on the topic 'using iptables' then also see Related Articles at the bottom of the page - Trouble In Ip Pages.
Then come back here for part 2 :KS

If you want to do IP tables (or others like packetfilter, pix, checkpoint etc) then have a look at the Firewall Builder GUI. Just makes things so much easier.