PDA

View Full Version : Apple apologizes for iPhone price cut

derekr44
September 7th, 2007, 04:05 PM
SAN JOSE, California (AP) -- Apple CEO Steve Jobs apologized and offered $100 credits Thursday to people who shelled out up to $599 for an iPhone this summer and were burned when the company chopped $200 from the expensive model's price.

To better quote Mr. Jobs...

I'm so sorry we ripped you off for a glorified iPod that has terrible reception. Here's a cookie and a $100 credit to spend on more of our stuff. It's non-refundable, by the way.

Full article (http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/biztech/09/06/apple.iphone.ap/index.html)

LaRoza
September 7th, 2007, 04:15 PM
That was nice of him.

Don't people realize that when something new comes out (iPhone, XBox 360), they are initially expensive and buggy, and soon after the price drops, then after that, they are more stable?

n3tfury
September 7th, 2007, 04:31 PM
WITHIN 14 DAYS OF THE PRICE CUT

you left out that part.

nowshining
September 7th, 2007, 04:31 PM
wow why release something if it is THAT buggy......

derekr44
September 7th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Don't people realize that when something new comes out (iPhone, XBox 360), they are initially expensive and buggy, and soon after the price drops, then after that, they are more stable?

Of course, but a $200 price cut within a few months? That's 1/3 of the total price of the phone...

robert_pectol
September 7th, 2007, 04:44 PM
There's a price for living on the, "cutting edge" of technology. This isn't a new concept! Apple has NOTHING to apologize for and the, "poor consumers" that got, "ripped-off" need to suck it up! Frankly, I'm amazed that Apple is even paying ANY attention to this crap!

Incidentally, I had planned on purchasing one of those nifty gadgets too. But I didn't need to feel the, "bleeding edge" of technology cutting that deep into my wallet, so I held off. Now I'm glad I did (as I go off whistling all the way down to the Apple Store to pick it up for $200 less...) :-)

Just my $.02...

LaRoza
September 7th, 2007, 04:48 PM
There's a price for living on the, "cutting edge" of technology. This isn't a new concept! Apple has NOTHING to apologize for and the, "poor consumers" that got, "ripped-off" need to suck it up! Frankly, I'm amazed that Apple is even paying ANY attention to this...

I feel that way too.

Siph0n
September 7th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I feel the same way! Those ppl paid extra to have it the day it came out.... if they want the 100$ store credit, they should send the iPhone back to apple and get it back in 2 months lol....

Just my 2 cents also ;)

LaRoza
September 7th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Just my 2 cents also ;)

Don't expect a refund...

alwiap
September 7th, 2007, 04:55 PM
i hear that they already have ripoffs made in china that work the exact same but cost a lot less

:)

starcraft.man
September 7th, 2007, 04:56 PM
There's a price for living on the, "cutting edge" of technology. This isn't a new concept! Apple has NOTHING to apologize for and the, "poor consumers" that got, "ripped-off" need to suck it up! Frankly, I'm amazed that Apple is even paying ANY attention to this crap!

Ditto. This isn't any shocker, the market has always been "buyer beware". I dunno where people get the idea their entitled to the new price just cuz it's so recent... they should be happy with extra 100. Oh and I never buy things first day, or usually even first 6 months. I can be a very patient shopper.

curuxz
September 7th, 2007, 05:00 PM
why is he refunding the early adopters their money, they pay to be on the bleeding edge

ComplexNumber
September 7th, 2007, 05:16 PM
from all the professional reviews i've seen, it seem to be unanimous that the iPhone is an iPod with a 2nd rate phone attached. the overall opinion is one of a severely crippled device who's main purpose is for fashion and showing off.

forrestcupp
September 7th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Just my $.02...

Why in the world don't we have a dang cent symbol on the American keyboard? Just because of that, we are forced to say, "just my two one-hundredths of a dollar" instead of "just my two cents." Oh, we can have a flippin' ^ carrot symbol, but could they splurge and give us a key with the cent symbol? No.

zero244
September 7th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Everyone knew the iphone was overpriced and I don't have any sympathy for anyone who bought one.
Everything Apple sells is overpriced. How do you think they are able to pay Jobs 475 million a year.
I would never buy a Apple product there are always better products from competitors.

LaRoza
September 7th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Why in the world don't we have a dang cent symbol on the American keyboard? Just because of that, we are forced to say, "just my two one-hundredths of a dollar" instead of "just my two cents." Oh, we can have a flippin' ^ carrot symbol, but could they splurge and give us a key with the cent symbol? No.

http://nemesis.lonestar.org/reference/telecom/codes/ascii.html 4/5 of the way down.

The XHTML entity is ¢, this won't work on the forum though.

southernman
September 7th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I know there are those that think Steve Jobs is the bees knees, but give me a freaking break. It's obviously nothing more than a publicity stunt, surely it's not just because he's weak, or this a huge fiasco just waiting for the steam to rise. I feel this is going to bite him in the **** down the road.

robert_pectol
September 7th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Just my $.02...

Ok, ok...

Just my 2¢...

Better?

Raval
September 7th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Oh and I never buy things first day, or usually even first 6 months. I can be a very patient shopper.

The same applies for cars as well since tooling the factory takes about 6 month to get the production line right.

My first cell phone was a Nokia 6360 and within two months in crashed and burned because of software issues.

Ever since then I wait at least 6 months before buying.

starcraft.man
September 7th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Everyone knew the iphone was overpriced and I don't have any sympathy for anyone who bought one.
Everything Apple sells is overpriced. How do you think they are able to pay Jobs 475 million a year.
I would never buy a Apple product there are always better products from competitors.
LOL! Have you seen how much their RAM costs? More to the point seen the Canadian mark up alone (especially considering near parity of our dollar)? Here's an example:

Canadian Mac (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/6724004/wo/EE2Qz7QBNBm526sgciI24E1NC5H/2.?p=0)
American Mac (http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/WebObjects/BizCustom.woa/6764008/wo/KU6KDZGSTw2r3lF6sz92JozjQi8/1.?p=0)

It really adds up if you stack options on... I find it ridiculous and I wish Canadians would demand to be treated better.

LOL! Just a silly c :p.

Besides, nobody I know types the cent sign anyway... relax a bit forest :).

nowshining
September 7th, 2007, 06:24 PM
well actually bill gates and steve jobs and all their partners and associates suck in my mind however if not watched linux advocates and ubuntu advocates can become the same way - so watch yourselves REALLY closely..

Raval
September 7th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Looks as self suspiciously in mirror

Bigbluecat
September 7th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Here's an interesting theory. Some people whine and get a $100 credit to spend in Apple stores. So Apple still keeps the money that you spent on the full price iPhone.

Now there is not much to buy in an Apple store for under $100. An iPod shuffle maybe. But you have an iPhone so that's not going to work.

Many people will take this $100 and add more cash to buy something more expensive thus ensuring Apple get even more of their money.

Oh the sweet double whammy :)

derekr44
September 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Here's an interesting theory. Some people whine and get a $100 credit to spend in Apple stores. So Apple still keeps the money that you spent on the full price iPhone.

Now there is not much to buy in an Apple store for under $100. An iPod shuffle maybe. But you have an iPhone so that's not going to work.

Many people will take this $100 and add more cash to buy something more expensive thus ensuring Apple get even more of their money.

Oh the sweet double whammy :)

That's what I was originally getting at when I posted the story. It wasn't the fact that they are apologizing, it's just a ploy to get more money spent in their store. Lots of stores do that, and I just can't stand when they give me "store credit".

LowSky
September 7th, 2007, 07:51 PM
i would buy an iphone but it need itunes to run...something im trying to get away from

Dimitriid
September 7th, 2007, 07:59 PM
That was nice of him.

No they do not realize and they shouldn't have to realize: Apple needs to do their own beta testing and not have customers pay $599 to do it for them.

Why would people always want to blame it on the consumers? Do you seriously worship brutal corporations that much? Is Capitalism the new religion of the western world and when ( not if ) it doesn't works you're a sinner if you complain? Im sick and tired of comments like this ( nothing personal with you however, just comments like this in general ).

forrestcupp
September 7th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Ok, ok...

Just my 2¢...

Better?

Cool. How'd you do it?

starcraft.man
September 7th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Cool. How'd you do it?

You know it's in Ubuntu's character map right? Applications > Accessories > Character Map. To make it easy go View > By Unicode Block. Select latin-1 supplement on the left and you can find the extra characters like ¢ or ©, even got this odd one §.