PDA

View Full Version : xaralx (or dia or inkscape) + unicode

xadder
September 7th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Anyone using xaralx, dia, or inkscape for scientific sketches?

I really like dia for simple stuff, but xaralx allowed the easiest use of subscripts. (Inkscape didn't have subscripts at all, although they can be faked in some way).

I'm struggling to get some unicode symbols into Xaralx though (e.g. integral signs, sigmas for sums, etc.). The Xara web-side recommends various tricks with ALT then numbers, but this doesn't seem to work for me. Copy and paste from the gnome character-map isn't working either.

I have a Swedish keyboard, but LANG=en_US.UTF-8, with Fiesty gnome setup on an IBM T43.

Tips appreciated. (Or should I just go back to xfig with its full LaTeX support...but these newer packages are more intuitive for things I only need now and then)

(I tried asking this on the Art+Design pages, but didn't get any response there)

tweedledee
September 8th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I'm struggling to get some unicode symbols into Xaralx though (e.g. integral signs, sigmas for sums, etc.). The Xara web-side recommends various tricks with ALT then numbers, but this doesn't seem to work for me. Copy and paste from the gnome character-map isn't working either.

Ctrl+Shift+U, then the unicode key for the character (this is equivalent to the Alt+combo for Windows)? Works in Inkscape, but I don't use Xara. Although if it handles subscripts well, I may have to give it a try.

If the unicode keyboard trick doesn't work in Xara, you may be able to enter the characters in Inkscape and copy over from there (or save/load).

xadder
September 8th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks, the Unicode commands work great in inkscape, but not in xaralx. And straightforward copy+paste didn't work either. I can always do a screen-capture, but then I may as well write the equations/symbols in LaTeX and copy that :)