PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft(R), Apple(R), and Canonical(R). Competition.

Shoot3r101
September 7th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Legends:
1 = Horrible
10 = Great
Newer OS's.

Windows Vista - Microsoft.
yaya woohoo! 10/10

Macintosh - Apple
wohooo! 10/10

Ubuntu - Canonical
yaya 10/10

Older OS's

Windows XP - Microsoft
yaya! 10/10

Conclusion:

1st Place - Ubuntu*TIE* 10/10
1st Place - Windows XP*TIE* 10/10
3rd Place - Windows Vista*TIE* 10/10
4th Place - Macintosh*TIE* 10/10

Hope this makes your choice for which os to get easier.

Ozor Mox
September 7th, 2007, 03:35 PM
No offense but you aren't exactly saying anything that hasn't been said a thousand times before. People who are on this forum are most likely using Ubuntu or possibly another GNU/Linux distribution. I'd agree with your order of Ubuntu at the top, but having not used a Mac extensively I don't know if it's better than Windows or not. I do prefer XP to Vista though.

Anyway, I suggest you don your flamesuit, particularly from fans of OS X...

Shoot3r101
September 7th, 2007, 03:47 PM
yaya!

insane_alien
September 7th, 2007, 03:50 PM
there isn't a whole lot wrong with OSX. personally, i hate it. but from a purely practical point of view it is alright. it does what it is supposed to do an runs the hardware.

vista, thats just wrong. it should never have been compiled.

ubuntu is a good linux distro. there are some that can be argued to be better overall and a lot that are just rubbish.

all in all i'd probably give ubuntu 5/5, OSX 4/5(1/5 from a pesonal veiwpoint, no offence mac heads but it doesn't feel right to me) and vista, 1/5(it actually does boot up on some computers)

LaRoza
September 7th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Ok I have indeed tried mac and found every bit sucky. And I am not starting a flame war with mac fans out there im just saying the truth, if they can't handle the truth then there is something mentally wrong with them.

Don't say something is "mentally wrong" just because they have different tastes or purpose in using the computer.

That is like me saying there is something "mentally wrong" with you for not using [distro that fulfills specific need].

Shoot3r101
September 7th, 2007, 03:56 PM
yaya!

LowSky
September 7th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Macintosh - Apple
Macintosh made by the good Ole friend Apple. I am sorry Apple if this offends you but it has to be said sooner or later. Everything about macintosh sucks no serously EVERYTHING. That wasn't too harsh... This one gets a 1/5 for obvious reasons.

wow now there a statment yet you provide no facts to why you give OS/X a 1/5 . Here something great about OS/X ... works on all the hardware it is supplied with right out of the box. It has some actual vender support for things like MS office and a lot of games out of the box, where with linux we have use compatability layers tha tofter dont work. Sure you cant run OS/X on a PC but it is because Apple's only supplies drivers for its own parts. I dont see anything wrong with this. It propietary but just plain works. besides OS/X is based on unix and is very simualr to ububtu... hell many people like making linux look like OS/X... why because apple made a very cool GUI.

Also what makes ubutu so good? I mean i use it and love it but it has alot of flaws, things like beryl and compiz are not stable, game support is minimal and very close to zero, DVD and music support only exist after you download hidden codecs... windows at least tells you need a codec and where to find find you one. less than 1% of the world computes on linux so vendor rarely make driver for linux support. ubuntu is good but not great. I'd give it 3/5 while I'd give OS/X and XP 4/5... based soley on its ability of a new user to get thing to work automatically.

OS/X does everytihng right out of the box...Windows based computers from Dell of HP also work very well right out of the box.. Ubuntu only has one system builder that I know of (system76) andfor most we install it onto a computer we already have owned. So userbility suffers because it ubuntu assume that you know a little something about computers to install it. Ever install XP... much easier.

Thast my review... based on knowlege and facts and a little opinion... compared to yours that is squarly opinion.

please in the futur know that you must give some kind of facts to support a rating system

EDIT: sorry for spelling errors... i'm at work using XP (sad i know)

stuh84
September 7th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I love how your opinion is the truth. You suck and thats the truth.......yeah thats right, because I said it, it must be true......

I'm flagging this up as too much time, not enough brain cells

LowSky
September 7th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I love how your opinion is the truth. You suck and thats the truth.......yeah thats right, because I said it, it must be true......

:lolflag:

Don't blame him for his L33TZOR attitude, i blame his age (clearly young) and his education (early high school)

I'm only guessing based on teenagers I know

Shoot3r101
September 7th, 2007, 04:03 PM
yaya@ woohoo@!

LaRoza
September 7th, 2007, 04:16 PM
--EDIT--

No flames where here execpt maybe the bashing of Macs and Mac users.

Did you do that just to get a response?

(I don't use macs, but the OP clearly posted thing that would cause tensions using baseless statements, that can be described as Flamebait.)

Shoot3r101
September 7th, 2007, 04:20 PM
yaya! woohoo!

stuh84
September 7th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Just learn a vital principle for life.....

Live and let live

Shoot3r101
September 7th, 2007, 04:28 PM
yaya! woohoo!

starcraft.man
September 7th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Not really trying to add to the heatedness here but there are some points I saw that I wanted to correct from LowSky, especially when he was so quick to snap at facts.

Here something great about OS/X ... works on all the hardware it is supplied with right out of the box.

I have to wonder some days whether this should really be a credit of OSX. Any operating system ever written would be near perfect if they only wrote for 5 hardware profiles which they controlled with a draconian fist.

It has some actual vender support for things like MS office and a lot of games out of the box, where with linux we have use compatability layers tha tofter dont work
Are we talking about the same OSX? From my knowledge (not the most expansive about OSX) the only commercial games to be released for OSX were ports of EA games that used Cider (http://www.transgaming.com/) to run. Cider being made by same folks that do Cedega, which in turn is based on WINE. All of which are compatibility layers. The games may work near perfectly, but their still layers far as I know. Article for source. (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14287)

OS/X is based on unix and is very simualr to ububtu...
Really? I played around with it and I don't find that... guess it's personal preference.

Also what makes Ubuntu so good? I mean i use it and love it but it has alot of flaws, things like beryl and compiz are not stable,
Beryl is near perfectly stable on my machine (one crash ever 1-2 weeks, usually caused by me I think). In addition neither project (nor the merged one) are Cannonical's responsibility, like other things it's use at your own risk (as well as being certain your hardware supports it).

game support is minimal and very close to zero,
As stated above, it's about the same as OSX I wager, assuming we are talking native games.

DVD and music support only exist after you download hidden codecs... windows at least tells you need a codec and where to find find you one.
You know I used XP for years and despised their codec support. Eventually I found the CCCP (http://cccp-project.net/) which took care of all my needs (VLC of course worked for video but I never liked it as a music player). I must say however, for having paid so much over the years for WIndows you'd think the support would be better (especially out of the box as you say). That said, in Ubuntu it's pretty easy to get the codecs, at least I find it is.

less than 1% of the world computes on linux so vendor rarely make driver for linux support.
Interesting, a statistic with no citation... here's one with sources. (http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php) It says 1.34%, oh and do clarify we are talking desktop market share... server's a whole different story. As for driver support, ya it is kind of sucky depending on what ya got, that will improve eventually (ATI is trying for instance).

OS/X does everytihng right out of the box...Windows based computers from Dell of HP also work very well right out of the box.. Ubuntu only has one system builder that I know of (system76) andfor most we install it onto a computer we already have owned. So userbility suffers because it ubuntu assume that you know a little something about computers to install it. Ever install XP... much easier.
Ahem! Dell. (http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs) HP also happens to be offering Linux in some places (not Ubuntu though).

Thast my review... based on knowlege and facts and a little opinion... compared to yours that is squarly opinion.
I hate to say it but I find some of your facts to be questionable... please be a little more informed before you go on a rant.

That's about it. Peace folks.

Shoot3r101
September 7th, 2007, 05:23 PM
yayya! woohoo!

karellen
September 7th, 2007, 06:03 PM
The GUI is not very pleasant on the eyes, it fails to run smooth on RAM below 1GB. The features do not live up to standards. Doesn't run out of the box needs all kinds of drivers. And can someone say slow?

the GUI is a matter of taste. I happen to like it. and about the following statements: vista provides drivers out of the box. I have a P4 at 2.4 ghz, 512 mb ram, nvidia geforce 4 mx, msi mobo and ide hard disk. all of them worked out of the box, no need to install drivers from the cd/internet. it's an old rig and everything is detected fine in both vista and ubuntu. if you have newer hardware you surely do have the original drivers for it, so no hassle here. just pop in the cd/dvd. on my machine, aero is disabled and it's as fast as XP. these are facts based on my own experience and if I'm told something else I tend to be very skeptical and suspicious

P.S I hope you've noticed that I have less than 1 gb of ram ;)

stuh84
September 7th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Please elaborate...

Very simple, why does it matter what people use? I use OS X, Ubuntu, Fedora, AND Windows XP.....do I care? Do I hell.

Do I care if people use something different from me? Not really. My girlfriend uses XP, do I go into rants of zealotry about XP when I think OS X and Linux are superior? No.

Please. Why in the hell does it matter.

Hence the live and let live, let people do what they want.

dca
September 7th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I want a beer...

stuh84
September 7th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Are we talking about the same OSX? From my knowledge (not the most expansive about OSX) the only commercial games to be released for OSX were ports of EA games that used Cider (http://www.transgaming.com/) to run. Cider being made by same folks that do Cedega, which in turn is based on WINE. All of which are compatibility layers. The games may work near perfectly, but their still layers far as I know. Article for source. (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14287)

Actually that is not the case, because none of the EA games have even been released yet. There are quite a few commercial games on OS X, not a huge amount, but World of Warcraft, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, Quake 4, in fact screw listing, Heres their store list (dont click if you dont wanna see the apple store) (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?s=topSellers&n=action_games&nnmm=browse&node=home%2Fmac_accessories%2Fsoftware). Also Gears Of War has been announced to be native, as well as a few others from the same developers. On top of that, nearly all Linux games have OS X ports too, Nexuiz, Frozen Bubble, Tuxkart, Tuxracer, etc etc.

Its nowhere near as expansive as a PC range, but I think that may change in the near future, and to be honest I cant wait for Gears of War :)

Not trying to cause an argument here, just rather people were informed the facts than not.

igknighted
September 7th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Actually that is not the case, because none of the EA games have even been released yet. There are quite a few commercial games on OS X, not a huge amount, but World of Warcraft, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, Quake 4, in fact screw listing, Heres their store list (dont click if you dont wanna see the apple store) (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?s=topSellers&n=action_games&nnmm=browse&node=home%2Fmac_accessories%2Fsoftware). Also Gears Of War has been announced to be native, as well as a few others from the same developers. On top of that, nearly all Linux games have OS X ports too, Nexuiz, Frozen Bubble, Tuxkart, Tuxracer, etc etc.

Its nowhere near as expansive as a PC range, but I think that may change in the near future, and to be honest I cant wait for Gears of War :)

Not trying to cause an argument here, just rather people were informed the facts than not.

You do realize that almost all the games you listed (minus crap like rollercoaster tycoon) run native on linux, right? Plus a fair amount of others (ut2004 and the upcoming ut2007 for example... unknown if these run on mac). The only game that runs on OSX that I wish ran on Linux (natively) is AoE (2 and 3).

backinthecity
September 7th, 2007, 07:28 PM
for the os/x unix thing? if you ever get the chance to watch someone install osx it does show installing of a unix system (and yes it is based off of unix) with a BSD base system.
osx is a good os for anything like music recording/video editing/etc only for the fact the most expensive professional products some times only come out for osx.

Its all pref. I love Apple(osx) and Linux(ubuntu)

oh and on the gaming thing. UT does run native on osx. also the newest UT coming out sometimes this year should be coming for xbox360, ps3, windows, and mac. But who cares though lol.

just keep rockin what your rockin lol.

Just for further note. you can run osx on an x86 platform osx86 (http://www.osx86.com)

Tom Mann
September 7th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I'm tempted to buy a Mac for my recording studio, which is looking more fab by the day! Ardour isn't quite there for me yet, I highly dislike Rosegarden, but am looking forward to improvements on Wired... But a Mac with Cubase is bliss for me, oh and the best plugin ever.... Drumkit from Hell.

I'd put OS X just below XP, but way way above Vista. I have to suffer this at work, and even now I know my way around it now, it still feels like it's crawling even with a powerful machine. Personal taste makes me dislike it.

I'll give Microsoft some due with XP, ok it doesn't serve me like Linux but for a recording studio, I find Sonar 6 coupled with Windows XP 64 bit edition make me feel like I have insane power, especially when I can't get the CPU over 10% with Microtonic :) DFH has it's home in Windows for now...

PS: Only thing I'd say about OSX86 is that it's illegal :(

Rupertronco
September 7th, 2007, 07:46 PM

I can't agree more.

OP: I post quite frequently, but you have 50 posts in a week. Are you just trying to get your post count up by babbling nonsense? If you're going to critique operating system software, at least have the decency of knowing what you're talking about. Generalizations like OSX constantly freezes, and there aren't many applications available is absurd. Aside from gaming, what applications are missing from the Mac world?

OSX is based on BSD (I believe) Unix, to say it constantly freezes baffles me. Were you using one of those purple iMacs with 133mhz trying to run OSX?

By the way, I've never owned a Mac, probably won't ever own them, not because they're not great, but because they do not have enough customization options available. So don't pretend I'm some mac fanboy.

From the sound of it, you have very little experience using them, and have little right giving others advice. According to The Onion (The foremost source of investgative journalism in the world) 76% of people are not qualified to give, or actually entitled to their own opinion. You sir, fall into that category.

backinthecity
September 7th, 2007, 08:19 PM
OSX is based on BSD (I believe) Unix, to say it constantly freezes baffles me. Were you using one of those purple iMacs with 133mhz trying to run OSX?

haha as horrible as that sounds there are so many people on ebay trying to pass off 300 Mhz old imacs with osx on it, with 6 gig HD. Which is crazy when i had my old ibook the os took 12 gigs by itself which is ridiculous.

also i know that x86 is illegal but just for the fact to state that it can be done so people don't hold that over apple.

now for apple fan boys/girls (don't worry i'm one also in a sense) you just need to come to the realization that apple only really comes out with something innovative once ever couple years. Yes they may come out with new iPods once a year but come on its just cosmetics. Now the switch from PPC to Intel was a great improvment . but do you really need to advertise a boast in processor speed? Look at Dell, Hp, etc... its not a big deal. Now remember I love my apple computer but its not that big of a deal. I mean i'll say what i have to say about apple (defending it sort of) when someone has their facts all twisted but I mean I don't think its THE best OS. People like what they like and thats what everyone needs to realize ... now if digg fans could only read this too. lol

stuh84
September 7th, 2007, 09:09 PM
You do realize that almost all the games you listed (minus crap like rollercoaster tycoon) run native on linux, right? Plus a fair amount of others (ut2004 and the upcoming ut2007 for example... unknown if these run on mac). The only game that runs on OSX that I wish ran on Linux (natively) is AoE (2 and 3).

Yes but that wasn't the point I was making. The poster I was quoting said there was NO native Mac games. I was simply disproving this. Regardless of what runs on Linux as well, saying that there are NO native Mac games are like saying there are no Virus's in Windows.

@trophy
September 7th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Anyone else feel like making one of these posts based on the song "Every OS Sucks" by 3 Dead Trolls In A Baggie?

Love that band....

Anyways yeah that's my feelings on the matter: every OS sucks.

Rupertronco
September 8th, 2007, 06:26 AM
I just wish people didn't feel the need to share their affliction with others. The illness I'm speaking of is stupidity.

sloggerkhan
September 8th, 2007, 06:50 AM
No offense, but I think your OS ratings are pretty screwy.
Mac is miles beyond vista and xp. The only things Ubuntu has on it are being open source and having a repository system. I can run OS X 10.x on a 400 mhz ppc machine with 512mb RAM or even less fine. I used a 1.2 ghz mac with only 256mb RAM the other day and the GUI was more responsive than Ubuntu or Windows with 4x the RAM. Also, all the major open source programs we use have been ported to mac. GIMP, open office, pidgin has a mac equivalent. Firefox. Mac also has a full unix command line.

Now I agree that many mac users don't know too much about computers, own too many iPods, and pay too much for their hardware. And maybe Mac is a little slow on the updates.

But I just can't understand how anybody can rate Mac as WORSE than windows if they think Ubuntu is great... there is more in common between Ubuntu and Mac than there ever will be between windows and Ubuntu.

Shoot3r101
September 8th, 2007, 07:17 AM
yaya! woohoo!

karellen
September 8th, 2007, 07:57 AM
If it makes you guys happy i'll go through everything and re-write AND re-rate EVERYTHING. BTW osx DOES freeze constantly.

whatever. you are entitled to believe anything you want...

sloggerkhan
September 8th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Maybe there's something wrong with the OSX comp you've used?

aysiu
September 8th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Hope this makes your choice for which os to get easier. Doubt it.

The following post was made to "help" those that are confused about which OS to get. Are these people from another planet? Anyone who has a computer and is browsing these forums and seeing your post is surely not confused about which OS to "get." Most people just use what they're given (usually Windows) and have no interest in switching from what they are already used to. Another few users have some kind of attachment to Macs. And Linux users (the most likely ones to be reading this post) probably won't learn anything from your post.
The post is in no way intended to offend anyone or start a flamewar. Right. Insult Macs and you will start a flamewar, guaranteed.
NOTE: I giving rating's based on the facts of the OS not my own opinions. Not based on what I've seen.

fenian
September 8th, 2007, 09:22 AM
osx is a good os for anything like music recording/video editing/etc only for the fact the most expensive professional products some times only come out for osx.

This is not entirely true many top of the line film and video production packages (AutodeskSmoke ,Flame,Maya etc...) are available for linux,however these are extremely expensive
programs geared toward the film/television industry.

PmDematagoda
September 8th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Well for myself personally, I really love Linux and I'm glad that I found it. But the reason I found linux was because my copy of Windows XP which is about 2 years old keeps crashing on me, so I guess I'm glad that my Windows did crash. The reason I say Linux and not condoning to the topic in discussion for now is that all the Linux distributions have their specialties and I like Linux in general, but the best distro in my opinion being Ubuntu which brings me to the topic in discussion.

OK, the reason I chose Linux are known, but here are the reasons why I'm staying with Linux(Ubuntu) in general:-

1) It's free.
2) It's fully customizable with no questions asked.
3) It's really powerful and you can achieve almost anything, with some work.
4) It has good support, with updates and technical, general, etc. help, given by such forums as this.
5) It's really good quality and is mostly reliable.
6) It has good compatibility. and:-
7) It's user-friendly.

Now Microsoft tries to be these things but they are not very successful at it because in reality they care more about themselves and their reputation than their customers which is why Vista, while being very flashy causes the users to have even less freedom through their many restrictions concerning media and customization, while still having security loop-holes.

I don't know much about anything about Mac OSX which is why I won't say anything about it, but I must say that OSX looks really nice.:) I just wish Mac OS's could be there for sale as well instead of just being only on Macintosh computers.

So to finish, I say I support Canonical over Apple and Microsoft, especially over Microsoft for which I've lost respect as being the leader in OS technology.

stuh84
September 8th, 2007, 10:17 AM
If it makes you guys happy i'll go through everything and re-write AND re-rate EVERYTHING. BTW osx DOES freeze constantly.

If it freezed constantly, why would I own two that DONT freeze at all?

Try again....

stuh84
September 8th, 2007, 10:20 AM
This is not entirely true many top of the line film and video production packages (AutodeskSmoke ,Flame,Maya etc...) are available for linux,however these are extremely expensive
programs geared toward the film/television industry.

Ah yes, but for audio recording, its pretty much open source or bust. Unfortunately, while I respect Ardour and think its pretty alright, I just find the commercial alternatives far better, Protools, Sonar (yeah its PC only but nevermind), Logic, Digital Performer, all of them perform a lot better for what I do than Ardour, therefore I think I'll be sticking with Macs for audio recording.

ryno519
September 8th, 2007, 10:23 AM
If it freezed constantly, why would I own two that DONT freeze at all?

Try again....

And to elaborate, no modern operating system will "freeze constantly" unless you have seriously ****** it up.

Shoot3r101
September 8th, 2007, 04:29 PM
yaya! what? Woohoo!

Rupertronco
September 8th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I don't tell people what they want to hear I tell people the facts if you can't handle that then oh well.

Sorry but a fact is a fact. Mac does indeed freeze up, studies show that 70% of Mac users end up switching to a PC due to mac's lack of instability and constant random freeze ups. Just because 1 person's Mac(s) doesn't freeze up doesn't mean the others wont too.

I think you need to re-evaluate the source of your facts. 70% of Mac users switch to pc? Over what time frame? When did this happen?

Mac is UNIX, it's known for its stability, that's why it's an industry standard in professional media applications.

YOU
ARE
MAKING
UP
NONSENSE

If your so called facts, are in fact, real, then please list your sources.

Edit: I also find it hard to believe any reliable, reputable source used the words "freeze up" to describe anything.

Ultra Magnus
September 8th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Mac is UNIX, it's known for its stability, that's why it's an industry standard in professional media applications.

I read that most movie studios use Linux - Macs are the standard if the only thing you look for in an OS is that it isn't Windows and you haven't heard of Linux.

Rupertronco
September 8th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I said "an industry standard" meaning it's widely used, and accepted/frequented as professional use.

I really have no clue as to what software is used for film production, but if they're using Linux, I'm glad to hear it.

aysiu
September 8th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I really have no clue as to what software is used for film production, but if they're using Linux, I'm glad to hear it. More details here:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Movie_Making_Manual-Linux_in_film_production#Who_already_uses_Linux.3F

stuh84
September 8th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Sorry but a fact is a fact. Mac does indeed freeze up, studies show that 70% of Mac users end up switching to a PC due to mac's lack of instability and constant random freeze ups. Just because 1 person's Mac(s) doesn't freeze up doesn't mean the others wont too.

Dude, what are you on? Cos I gotta have some.

I have NEVER heard of anything like this. EVERYONE I know with a Mac does not see these freeze ups, and I know a lot of people with them. I went to a university that used Macs only, and they may have had one of them freeze up a month. One out of about 40. Compare that to the other campus which was PC only, guess what? Multiple freeze ups everyday.

You need to lay off the cough syrup.

b15h0p7
September 8th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Sure you cant run OS/X on a PC but it is because Apple's only supplies drivers for its own parts...
Yes, you can run OSX on a PC.

And yes, Apple does not supply drivers, but there are some third party ones if you look hard enough.

ThinkBuntu
September 8th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Macintosh - Apple
Macintosh made by the good Ole friend Apple.This OS has some issues such as freeze's up constantly, GUI is very old and needs some work, doesn't support very many applications out there, Not stable, and countless other flaws about macintosh that I won't go towards. This one gets a 4/10 for improving overall preformence.
Are you s****ng me?

No OS has ever been more stable for me than Mac OS X. It's built over BSD for Christ's sake.
More software is available for OSX than any system besides Windows. Any Linux software can be built to run for OSX, and Fink gives access to the best of the Open Source world
The superb GUI is the hallmark of Mac OS. It's very usable, and I think that only GNOME comes close in terms of pure usability.
No, please, "go towards" the other flaws. Perhaps you've never used a Mac for an extended period of time before.

qazwsx
September 8th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I am pretty sure that OS X could be very unstable if there are some hardware problems :)
Just used Apple manufactured computers couple of times. I didn't like it but it's only my opinion. Still very usable.

tehkain
September 8th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I still do not understand this whole "Difficult to install" stuff. I find our liveCD to the best of all install systems. Our installer is direct and to the point. I guess a vocal minority is having issues, and I hope they are resolved.

If by install people include hunting down drivers closed source drivers and firmware then I ask you to do a fresh windows install. Its great and easy to get drivers without even a network connection via a landline. All while at 640x480!

Rupertronco
September 8th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I'm just curious as to how the original poster can spew blatant nonsense, on a forum filled with computer users of every level and expect to pass it off as fact.

His response to "care to elaborate?" = instant classic.

nanog
September 8th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Didn't you guys read the sign on the bridge?

Don't feed the troll

Rupertronco
September 8th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Didn't you guys read the sign on the bridge?

Don't feed the troll

I don't think he's a troll, just inept.

sloggerkhan
September 9th, 2007, 03:06 AM
I don't think he's a troll, just inept.

While I don't find a rational rebuttal to be unwarranted, I think you guys are starting to get a bit over the top about this guy's characterizations. Personal attacks about something like this? Please.

Frak
September 9th, 2007, 03:45 AM
Macintosh - Apple
Macintosh made by the good Ole friend Apple.This OS has some issues such as freeze's up constantly, GUI is very old and needs some work, doesn't support very many applications out there, Not stable, and countless other flaws about macintosh that I won't go towards. This one gets a 4/10 for improving overall preformence.

I give this post a 1/10, I give OS X a 9/10, I have NEVER had any problems with OS X EVER! It is mega user friendly.

Not dissing Ubuntu or Windows, but OS X is just IMHO the best out there so far. (OS X, not Mac's, they are WAY overpriced, but OS X is nearly perfect)

jimrz
September 9th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Ever install XP... much easier.

Really? When was the last time you installed XP to a clean drive with no OEM driver disks available. I have recently installed feisty / XP dual-boot on 3 different (1 laptop + 1 desktop + 1 former server) older, yet still serviceable, machines for friends. Based on this (and previous) experience, I can assure you that to get to a useful setup, and by this I mean OS + drivers + typical software needed + updates etc., the entire process for feisty is not only easier and less frustrating than the process for XP, but it is also dramatically less time consuming. I am no MS basher, but unless you are talking about pre-installed or installing XP from an OEM disk (including all drivers AND sp2) there is no way that even just the basic OS intall could be called easier. Even with that advantage you must still the add your anti-virus + anti-spyware + office + whatever other s/w you need AND go through the endless rounds of update.. reboot .. update ..reboot .. ad infinitum making the process much less pleasant than that for Ubuntu.

Shoot3r101
September 9th, 2007, 05:00 PM
yaya! huh? woohoo!

Frak
September 9th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Mac is very well built. It is my favorite OS because of its stability, speed, and overall vanity. And it satisfies all of my app needs. I'm happy with it :)

Shoot3r101
September 9th, 2007, 05:05 PM
yaya! part-a!

kirios
September 9th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Well thats good but im just sayin it may just be good for one person and a brick for another.
Q: Is there a reason why there are so many subjective threads on the Ubuntu forum?
A: Ubuntu 'just works' and users therefore have a lot of time to discuss Windows, Mac, PCLinuxOS and other operating systems. NOT.

karellen
September 9th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Give up already you have no proof that mac "rocks the house":p... It simply sucks. I know this cause I worked for mac once and built mac computers.

Look hard enough? Hmm. One thing that you guys won't learn from me is I tell the truth and mac IS poorly built and thats a fact because I used to work for them. So before you little kids go on another flame make sure you know what you are talking about because most of you made a fool of yourself saying stuff that is no where near true.

](*,)
ok, you're right and everyone around here is wrong. happy now?
btw, what exactly did you do at apple? because in case you weren't working at the mac os x there's no proof you know what you are talking about mac os x. and I strongly doubt you are a top class programmer...;)
you're like the worker at BMW that supervise the painting process and then says "bmw-s suck"

Shoot3r101
September 10th, 2007, 01:00 AM
mhmm! parta!

Nano Geek
September 10th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Yes I did indeed help build Mac OSX. And yes I am a "top class programmer" for your info. Don't underestimate me... I do understand what you are sayin about the BMW thing but think of it this way I work for Mitsubishi and my boss is telling me to put crappy tires on such a nice engine I keep tellin him that it will make the car run bad, then I quit because my job makes great engines but the everything else is crap and I see no point in working there if the cars im making are all crap, waste of time. Thats exactly how it was working for Mac OSX so I quit.Shoot3r101, to me you sound like a troll. Please don't take offense of this. You are a new user and you have been here no more than a week or so and you are already getting into a fight and claiming that you are a "top class programmer." Yet you trash OS X but give no reason for doing so.

Please at least give a reason that you don't like Apple's OS.

Shoot3r101
September 10th, 2007, 01:25 AM
parta!

Vorian
September 10th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Alrighty folks, lets _all_ stay calm on on topic please.

Frak
September 10th, 2007, 01:43 AM
You helped build OS X? Which version, build, year?

Nano Geek
September 10th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Give me a break. you would have no idea who I am so please don't say words such as "claim".Please forgive me if is made a mistake. I only looked at your length of time as a member of the forum and at your statement that most people would disagree with and that is quite harsh on OS X.

I apologize if a falsely accused you.

ThinkBuntu
September 10th, 2007, 02:06 AM
What do you program in? What part of the OS did you work on? I personally know some very involved app developers who don't work for Apple, but spend all day in XCode. I could ask them to compare what you have to say about developing for Macs, and see whether or not you're full of hot air.

danny joe ritchie
September 10th, 2007, 02:19 AM
I am an Ubuntu user on an Ubuntu forum, feel free to speak your mind, just don't pick on Ubuntu!

Shoot3r101
September 10th, 2007, 12:18 PM
mhmm hmm! yaya! woohoo!

PmDematagoda
September 10th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Not wanting to cause an uprising or anything, but what about Solaris? Is it any good, because when I went to their site I was pretty impressed and I want to try it out, I just wanted to see if anyone had used Solaris and what they thought about it before trying to download it myself.

Frak
September 10th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Not wanting to cause an uprising or anything, but what about Solaris? Is it any good, because when I went to their site I was pretty impressed and I want to try it out, I just wanted to see if anyone had used Solaris and what they thought about it before trying to download it myself.
I use solaris with looking glass, and it beats the pants off of Linux in terms of eye candy and stability, but not much to do :(

sloggerkhan
September 11th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Every solaris I've used didn't have a repository or software management system, which really sucked.

Frak
September 11th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Every solaris I've used didn't have a repository or software management system, which really sucked.
As I said, "Not much to do"

PmDematagoda
September 11th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Then I guess i'll just have to try Solaris by triple booting it with Ubuntu and XP, but will it work out?

Shoot3r101
October 13th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I sound like a complete idiotic retarded fool that makes fun of mac for no reason. I am STUPID I TELL YOU STUPID. YOU ARE ALL RIGHT I AM WRONG! Mac os x is cool, windows is cool, ubuntu is cool, linux is cool, the tux(wait what?) is cool! thats right. Happy now? I made fun of myself for ya all. I did. Thats right. Guess what everything gets a 10/10! can you believe that!? I can!:lolflag: just plz stop hurting me i'll stop my flameage/trollage!!! I luv all ya! plz forgive me! I love you mac fans!