PDA

View Full Version : Strange But True

Omnios
August 5th, 2005, 04:56 AM
So your computer is about 4 or 5 years old and it just seemed to dye it wont boot of nothering not even a beep. So you figure its time to pack this babby up and put it in the closet with the rest of the junk. You think how expencive this is going to be to replace. Well you did all your window shopping and you even picked out a fancy new box. Oh you will be a couple K poorer or will you.

From a true story this happened to a few years back on and old P3 after support phone calls and after the computer being pronounced dead a programmer mentioned did you check the biosy battery well they wen't out and bought a battery and shure anouph that putter fired up. It was a hair from being bacon bits but managed to serve on for many years.

The person who figured it out was a Linux User!

Whats in your closit?

pmj
August 5th, 2005, 05:34 AM
I have a closet, but for some reason I keep my stuff on the floor instead. I have an old P2 machine, two broken monitors, cables of various types, a router I don't use anymore, a broken xbox...

TravisNewman
August 5th, 2005, 05:47 AM
sounds like the unused portion of my dining room.

WildTangent
August 5th, 2005, 06:54 AM
heh, one of my old P3s is truely dead...ive tried everything ;) i keep all my computer stuff downstairs, and i occasionally throw together a "frankenstein" when i have enough parts. thats how all my linux computers got their start.

-Wild

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 07:23 AM
I have a closet, but for some reason I keep my stuff on the floor instead. I have an old P2 machine, two broken monitors, cables of various types, a router I don't use anymore, a broken xbox...

Sounds like my description too. I like closets, but for some reason, everything ends up on the floor or on the top of a shelf.
Two broken monitors (One Samsung Syncmaster and a huge NEC)
Two -Flinstone old- empty cases
My Prestige 623 router box
A pair of broken speakers
A couple of faulty UPS
A dead UPS battery wich I use as a door holder (it's heavy)
Several RJ11 and RJ45 cables
Two broken printers (a Canon Bubblejet Printer and a Epson LQ-1070 (this baby's gigantic)
A broken small "Nedoca" Refrigerator (this baby served for a long time)
Two broken televisions (a Sony Trinitron television and a petite Panasonic one)
[I]et al

That's only the broken stuff :roll: (yes, the room's quite big).

Edit: This got me thinking.. I live in my closet ](*,) !

mike998
August 5th, 2005, 02:43 PM
I have some broken hardware but it's squirrelled away in a closet somewhere.
Just a quick hint for those who don't know, and haven't had a PII killed...
CAT HAIR CONDUCTS ELECTRICITY!! :?

Brunellus
August 5th, 2005, 02:58 PM
H'mm. Broken hardware.

There's my Toshiba laptop...three years old now, and with some sort of loose power connector thingie in it. If it's jostled too much, the power just dies. (By "too much" I mean typing, or inserting a CD). I'm not 1337 enough to fix it, so I'll probably break down and take it to someone who can, so it becomes my transportable ubuntu machine--the battery's not great, but I can use it and the prism2-baced pcmcia wlan adaptor to sit in front of the TV and surf while I watch baseball on TV.

There's a cheapass optical wheelmouse which will be replaced soon with a Logitech. I'm looking at the MX500--higher res and lots of buttons...the howtos on configuring it to work with Ubuntu seem a bit out of date (warty-vintage) but I'll give it a try.

h'mm. thinking of replacement HW....I'm thinking of finding an old IBM buckling-spring clicky keyboard. My brothers (who are across the corridor) will hate me for typing on it at night--I rip through at 105 wpm, and those things are LOUD--but my fingers will like the tactile feedback. Why, oh why doesn't anyone offer this type of keyboard anymore?

dataw0lf
August 5th, 2005, 03:04 PM
About 50 of every piece of hardware you could imagine are inhabiting my closet, spare room, etc right now.

wmcbrine
August 6th, 2005, 08:29 AM
I'm thinking of finding an old IBM buckling-spring clicky keyboard. ... Why, oh why doesn't anyone offer this type of keyboard anymore?
Unicomp ( http://pckeyboard.com/ ) bought IBM's old keyboard business (after it passed through Lexmark). I'm typing on one now, a clone of the Model M, but in black. It's nice, although it's closer to the later version of the Model M than the true classic version.

The originals are pretty easy to find, too -- those things never give out.

As for the subject of this thread, my list is too frightening to contemplate.

TravisNewman
August 6th, 2005, 04:16 PM
About 50 of every piece of hardware you could imagine are inhabiting my closet, spare room, etc right now.
you need to send me some

Hg80
August 6th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Mine is full of old Pc bits and a few boxes used to transport my current pc to LAN events

Ubunted
August 6th, 2005, 08:59 PM

Y'know old RAM sticks are fetching a pretty good price nowadays.