PDA

View Full Version : What level of a Computer User Do You Believe You Are?

nowshining
September 7th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I consider myself intermediate :) and with linux I hope to go to expert and beyond, you?

insane_alien
September 7th, 2007, 01:36 PM
somewhere on th high side of intermediate i think. i wouldn't call myself an expert although i have been called that by beginners more than once.

bobbocanfly
September 7th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Would say im Intermediate. I know what Pipes are and have a grasp of how to use them, i can install software from source and have set up a massive Multimedia network for my home. Does that qualify me?

curuxz
September 7th, 2007, 01:38 PM
with almost 10 years linux experience and using it day in day out I think i can say I'm a professional computer user.

fdhdghdg
September 7th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Levels? Where we're going we don't need levels :)

Just willing to learn some tools.

stalker145
September 7th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I know what Pipes are and have a grasp of how to use them

Pipes? Isn't that what the Internet's made of? ;)

Levels? Where we're going we don't need levels :)

Just willing to learn some tools.

I am a 42nd level Archer with two animal companions, three special weapons, and a sack of miscellaneous goodies. I will cast a level 9 confusion on your network if you persist with this trifling. :lolflag:

OK, but seriously - I would place myself squarely in the intermediate category. I can conduct logical thinking/troubleshooting to fix many problems, I'm not a-feared of the CLI, and I actually enjoy learning.

OffHand
September 7th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I do technical support in a mixed xp / os x environment for a living and use linux at home so I picked "professional".

curuxz
September 7th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Since I do technical support in a mixed xp / os x environment for a living and use linux at home I picked "professional".

maybe we should have a linux professionals club ;)

to be honest, i think expert is higher than professional. I mean you can work with linux all day and be a 'professional' yet an expert would be someone who say makes linux stuff not just works with it all the time. at least IMHO :)

OffHand
September 7th, 2007, 03:04 PM
to be honest, i think expert is higher than professional.

True, you can be a professional (make money in IT) yet still not be an expert. Because I deal with 3 operating systems I cannot be an expert in everything although I can troubleshoot them all pretty good.

MikeEvans
September 7th, 2007, 03:33 PM
What? No ascended category? This thread is discriminatory.

LowSky
September 7th, 2007, 03:36 PM
what the difference between an expert and a professional... is it like olympian and professional athlete?

When it come to Windows I know more than I should, but linux I know how to cut and paste to get what i need.

Now whne it comes to internals, I think i'm a pro. I can build and configure a new computer in a matter of minutes. If only I could make money doing it...

Lord Illidan
September 7th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I can barely switch my pc on...

OffHand
September 7th, 2007, 03:39 PM
A professional works in IT.

ahaslam
September 7th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I can barely switch my pc on...

Yeah, kneeling down to reach under the desk & switch the power on really hurts my knees ;)

runningwithscissors
September 7th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I can write applications. :)

But I'm not much of a sysadmin. So, perhaps, intermediate.

Luinar
September 7th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Depends what system we're talking about. On Linux I would say I probably in the realms of intermediate. I have no problems using it as my primary (and only) OS, I know my way around the command line to a reasonable extent and thus far I can fix most problems, or I know where to go and what to look for to find help for those problems.

On Windows I would say I'm probably in the expert category. I know where everything is, how to fix pretty much anything that crops up (to the point where I can tell people how to fix stuff without having to actually be at the computer) and in my Windows days I would tinker with it so it would do exactly what I told it.

On Mac I am a complete and utter n00b. I've never actually even used one before. Would like to give one a go just out of curiosity, but don't actually know anyone who owns one. :-\

I voted intermediate in the poll, though, since that's what I am on Linux and that's what I use everyday. :)

EXCiD3
September 7th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Ok where exactly does uber1337 fit in the poll? :lolflag:

sanderella
September 7th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I'm an eternal beginner. :KS

Dimitriid
September 7th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Between Expert and Professional when it comes to hardware, Intermediate on the software side of things.

metallicamaster3
September 7th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I am a Pro. :).

On Mac I am a complete and utter n00b. I've never actually even used one before. Would like to give one a go just out of curiosity, but don't actually know anyone who owns one. :-\

Hello, Mac freak/fanboy here :D

derekr44
September 7th, 2007, 10:48 PM
What? No ascended category? This thread is discriminatory.

I LOLd IRL at that one :)

~LoKe
September 7th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Expert is the closest I could rank myself. However, expert and professional are the same thing in this sense, being that professional simply means you do it as...a profession.

Kingsley
September 7th, 2007, 11:34 PM
In a world without games, who needs levels?

Lord Illidan
September 7th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Seriously, I would consider myself to be somewhere near Expert, I think.

maddog39
September 7th, 2007, 11:46 PM
I think I'm an expert user. I have been using linux all around for 2 years, and osx and windows before that for about 6 years between the two. I'm also a programmer with experience in a variety of languages. And on top of that im an Arch user and like to build my systems from the ground up.

Dr Small
September 8th, 2007, 12:08 AM
I would consider myself an expert, but not a professional, as I know there are problems I have yet to face which will stump me, and there are people over me who are the professionals who solve the problem for me :)

Dr Small

some_random_noob
September 8th, 2007, 12:15 AM
I would consider myself an expert... I do a lot of server/CLI related stuff and I was recently offered a job as a Linux server admin. In a 5-10 years time I'll be voting 'professional'.

I'm good for a 16 yearold :D ... and after all this geekyness, I still feel girly enough to invite co-workers around and cook tea for them. Lol, talk about multi-talented.

nonewmsgs
September 8th, 2007, 12:26 AM
"what a dork, dungeon masters don't have levels"

beercz
September 8th, 2007, 12:51 AM
16 years in the IT industry;
Using linux for well over 5 years;
Used Windows/DOS/Unix and Macs over the years;
BSc and MSc in computer science;
Background in software engineering/networks;
A very "hands on" IT Director at the moment and part time freelance web/software developer.

I picked "professional"

victor9098
September 8th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Advanced Novice :)

Came over to Ubuntu just over 2 months ago, after almost 12 years with just Windows this is a whole new learning experience.

I am slowly getting used to the new terms. Still relying on the GUI to do most of my tasks, but love it when I type something in terminal and it just works.

Today I think I helped someone solve a problem here on the forums, which was cool, makes a change from asking the questions.

So many of the members here seem to know Ubuntu back to front! But that is experience for you. After 12 years of windows I could not get ride of it quick enough. Hopefully after 12 years of Ubuntu that will not be the case.