PDA

View Full Version : Linux IS customizable

aquavitae
September 7th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Has anyone else noticed the number of posts on the forums that go along the lines of "xyz isn't set up the way I like it. How do I change it to do what I want" to which the reply is "Try right-clicking. If that doesn't work I guess you can't change it." or "That's just the way it is. Live with it." THAT IS NOT TRUE!! The most important thing about linux is that it can be changed. How easily is another matter, but generally its not that hard if you don't mind getting your hands a bit dirty and using the terminal.

Most things can be changed by modifying the files in /etc. They are usually very well documented (much more that the gui settings dialogs) and it is easy to find what you're looking for by using command such as grep (http://linux.die.net/man/1/grep). And of course there are always the ubiquitous man pages (http://linux.die.net/man/) (accessed by the command "man <command>") which contain help on just about every linux command or config file. The /etc files are really easy to change and I can think of no good reason why anyone would live with an irritating setting just because it requires editing a file, rather that ticking a box to change it (unless they are consolephobic ;) ). Of course. some files require a bit of bash scripting, and I can understand people being hesitant to make changes to those. But I reiterate, its not impossible! If someone really wants to change a setting that can only be done by changing a script, they can learn the basics of bash. Beyond that things do get compilcated - changing source code is not really recommended unless you're a developer and can upload the changes. (But it is still an option)

My point is, though, that the frequent somewhat harsh posts saying that "linux cannot be customized in the way you want" are not necessarily true. Sometimes they may be, but please make sure first!

Ok, that's my little rant over with. :D

kerry_s
September 7th, 2007, 08:17 AM
that a boy, get it all out. you feel better now? :lolflag:

RageOfOrder
September 7th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I suppose I'll say it again.

Gentoo. Build everything from scratch, and even choose to compile only support for what you want. Then run it without a GUI for a week and see just how customizable it really is.

aquavitae
September 7th, 2007, 09:32 AM
RageOfOrder, I agree entirely! I used gentoo for about a year - until I got tired of the long compilations. There's nothing quite like hunting the internet through lynx to find a howto on installing X. And there's nothing like the feeling when you finally get that twm terminal open!

fdhdghdg
September 7th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I suppose I'll say it again.

Gentoo. Build everything from scratch, and even choose to compile only support for what you want. Then run it without a GUI for a week and see just how customizable it really is.

Gentoo is nice, but for me the flexibility and available packages (great documentation too) don't outweigh the compile and maintenance (tweaking) time for a general workstation/desktop setup. It depends what you want to accomplish with this customized tool.. And why wouldn't you want to run a combination of CLI/GUI?

Lord Illidan
September 7th, 2007, 11:29 AM
GNOME is a bit uncostumisable though.

fdhdghdg
September 7th, 2007, 11:40 AM
GNOME is a bit uncostumisable though.

It's not designed to have a GUI option for every "advanced" setting you can come up with, too bad for (ex)windows users. But guess what, terminals open fine in GNOME too.

nowshining
September 7th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Linux is a TAD more customizable than windows :) esp. thru the GUI but since ubuntu is trying to mimic windows a bit and mac a bit and still keep a bit of linux there (APPLE os uses unix underneath) so again it is so so, but compared to windows - Right now i am going to stick with it because of the stability, trust me - a tip read up early on terminal commands...with windows a bit ago I would of just had to RE_install in the end :( or could more easily ruin windows than ubuntu - :) again u just need to read up JUST IN CASE something comes up that requires NO LOGIN screen and only way to fix is in terminal...luckily in linux when have to go thru the terminal and no gui and cannot log in, when u have an ethernet always on connection - u can download any thing that will fix it right up.. :) dialup i gotta learn to use the terminal commands to dial out tho..now try those with WINDOWS, HA, u'd have to re-install and the first moment that you couldn't get into the gui... in other words Microsoft windows RELIES TOO MUCH ON THE GUI while linux relies very little on the gui and heavily on the terminal commands.. :)

aquavitae
September 7th, 2007, 02:24 PM
It's not designed to have a GUI option for every "advanced" setting you can come up with, too bad for (ex)windows users. But guess what, terminals open fine in GNOME too.
That's exactly my point! Gnome is very customizable, there just aren't little buttons for everything.

Gentoo is nice, but for me the flexibility and available packages (great documentation too) don't outweigh the compile and maintenance (tweaking) time for a general workstation/desktop setup. It depends what you want to accomplish with this customized tool.. And why wouldn't you want to run a combination of CLI/GUI?Gentoo's docs are the best I've seen. When things go wrong in ubuntu I still usually end up looking at the gentoo docs to fix it. But yes, I also stopped using it because of the compile times. And on a 64bit core-duo, the optimisations are not really worth it!