PDA

View Full Version : I need quick laptop advice.

kavon89
September 7th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Whats more important to you? Time off the plug or build quality? I've gotten stuck between almost exact specs and prices short of a few small things. 12-cell plastic hp case or 7-cell thinkpad.

I'd like both of them to be great, I can't really choose because I haven't owned a proper laptop. The iBook I can't find at the moment has the worst of both... terrible build and the battery is bad, but it didn't get much time off the plug either.

I'm ordering within like an hour, thought you guys would answer pretty quick. (I don't want the hassle of returning one and getting another if I don't like one, I am without a proper computer now and it would take about 1.5 weeks for it just to be built and get here).

nonewmsgs
September 7th, 2007, 04:23 AM
time of the plug or build quality?
i always thought the number of cells was how long the battery lasted before needing recharged.

tgalati4
September 7th, 2007, 05:33 AM
MacBook Pros probably blow both away. Depends on the model of the HP and the ThinkPad. There are better and worse models in each line. Better to google for consumer reviews for each model and you willl get a subjective feel as to which is better.

I would opt for a used, professional ThinkPad than a new HP. Better a used BMW than a new Nissan.

The aluminum case of the mac takes quite a beating.

Unless you spend 4 hours in a coffee shop or under a tree (where Mac users like to work), battery life is less important. For a cross-country flight, I carry a spare battery which can be swapped while the computer is asleep. On a powerbook, with Tiger OS X, you can close the lid, wait 5 seconds for it to go to sleep, swap the battery, then lift the lid and be working again in 4 seconds. Try that in any of the new computers.

blueturtl
September 7th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I always pick build quality over specs. The specs aren't gonna be much fun if the thing is broken. ;)

RageOfOrder
September 7th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Or you know...
Run DamnSmallLinux loaded to RAM and don't mount your hard drive. No hard drive spinup = damn good battery life

prizrak
September 7th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I'd go for thinkpad in a heartbeat. Set one up for my girlfriend the other day and it is one of the best machines i ever used

tehkain
September 7th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Build quality. If I am going to use the machine as much as I can every where I go I need it to be comfortable. I got a macbook(and killed OS X 10 minutes later) with gutsy and after setting up my xmodmap, for the keyboard and mouse, it is perfect. If I have to type I want it to be consistent on a good keyboard. That was my big requirement.

As for battery life, I think its a good thing but I would sooner carry another battery in my backpack or case then deal with a system I hate working on.

mips
September 7th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Thinkpad all the way. they do come with different battery options by the way, you get normal & extended batteries.

Onyros
September 7th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Thinkpad, all the way. Just check my sig... that's a 4 year old laptop right there, and whichever people look at it, touch it or use it always think it's 2-3 months old.

Also, it goes everywhere with me, and hasn't had one single problem. Ever.

Best keyboard I've ever used on a laptop, it's a pleasure to use. Thinkpad light, FTW. Incredibly silent, it can be up 24/7 without the fans going on, and when they eventually do (full load or CPU intensive stuff), they're still more silent than most laptops' fans. And the trackpad beats a touchpad any given day, and I'm glad mine doesn't include a touchpad as well (it'd just be waste of space).

Just to end this, batteries for Thinkpads are really the easiest to find, and when you do need a replacement, they'll be cheaper than other brands'.

Anthem
September 7th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Yeah, the Thinkpad is nice.

You can always buy another battery later.

dentaku65
September 7th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I had no problem at all with linux since 3 years on Fujitsu-Siemens (with intel graphics).