PDA

View Full Version : moneydance/ms money on wine

belias
September 7th, 2007, 02:21 AM
hi all. The most important program I run is Ms Money06. I looked on the wine site, but nobody has commented on it working for them, probably cuz of it's dependency of ie explorer. I also checked out something called moneydance. Does anyone use this (that has used ms money)? How does it compare? I need to download osx files, which it claims to do.
The most relevant conversation i could find on this was in 2006, so i would hope there's been some developments. This and a working connection (another story) can get me to switch to linux full time.

potrick
September 7th, 2007, 02:29 AM
The community forum probably isn't the best place to ask, man. And I have no idea, sorry.

belias
September 7th, 2007, 02:30 AM
oh ok. well where would be a good place to ask?

cstudent
September 7th, 2007, 02:35 AM
I would say I've used Moneydance for close to 2 years now on Ubuntu . I was a Quicken user in my past Windows life. Never was that crazy about MS Money. In my File menu in Moneydance, I have the option to import Quicken Interchange Format (QIF), Open Financial Exchange (OFX) and Open Financial Connectivity (OFC) files. I do not have one for OSX. I have imported bank transactions in QIF, but I usually enter my transactions on a daily basis manually.

You can download and try Moneydance out on a trial basis. I paid $29 US I think when I first got it. I automatically received version updates since then for no additional charge. I've been very happy with it. I think it's better than Quicken. The interface is much cleaner and more intuitive. Plus I don't have Intuit nagging me to buy an "upgrade" every freakin' year.

belias
September 7th, 2007, 02:48 AM
cs student, im sorry, i meant ofx. basically, the important features to me are bank account downloading and categorizing each transaction, keeping track of my bills, income/expense reports..i.e. if i want to compare my electric bill over the past year, stuff like that. The bill calendor is very important to me.
I'll download the trial anyway, but it's good to hear other peoples experience.