PDA

View Full Version : Enlightened Gnome: The Eye Candy bar is set for Vista

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 01:34 AM
I just wanted to point out that I finally finished (well....almost but its posted) my howto to get the best eye candy out of Gnome. I searched for months for ways to prettify Gnome, and this is the best I could find.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=287220#post287220

Good luck for those who try it. If you use it, please tell me your system specs in THIS THREAD and tell me how responsive it is. Leave problems or suggestion or ways to get Engage to work in the other thread.

Long Live Ubuntu

TravisNewman
August 5th, 2005, 02:40 AM
You should post a screenshot of the final product on your machine

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 02:51 AM
I'd go a little further. How about a small 1MB xvidcap uploaded on rapidshare ;) ? I don't think you could really see E unless you see an animation of it .

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 03:03 AM
I'd go a little further. How about a small 1MB xvidcap uploaded on rapidshare ;) ? I don't think you could really see E unless you see an animation of it .

I'll look into that.

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 03:04 AM

My most recent screenshot is a the bottom of the howto. Does not do it justice.

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 03:09 AM
Ok....so after playing with this I was amazed by one thing: Enligtened Gnome feels faster than Metacity Gnome.

I couldn't figure it out. It looks better....and its faster? Weird. But then I got my answer: Rasterman is a miracle worker.

Look here:

http://www.rasterman.com/index.php?page=News

Scroll down to see the benchmarks. E17 is VERY fast. Very fast.

Its amazing.

benplaut
August 5th, 2005, 03:11 AM
will my m7500 32mn be able to handle this?

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 03:20 AM
will my m7500 32mn be able to handle this?

I have installed the E16 Enlightened Gnome on weaker machines (both have 128mb of ram, one is 300mhz) and they both worked fine. E17 is faster according to that benchmark above.

Its AMAZING!

benplaut
August 5th, 2005, 03:34 AM
I have installed the E16 Enlightened Gnome on weaker machines (both have 128mb of ram, one is 300mhz) and they both worked fine. E17 is faster according to that benchmark above.

Its AMAZING!

hmm... OK, what's the catch?

what things will i lose?

i happen to really like my metacity theme :wink:

Skel
August 5th, 2005, 03:42 AM
Seems liek a good idea but how do i isntall E16 i know about the E17 howto but E16 not sure and also what i got to lose which was stated above..

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 03:46 AM
hmm... OK, what's the catch?

what things will i lose?

Whats the catch? Well, its harder to use (especially E17)....and some of the Gnomemish things don't work (you can't do things like change the window theme using the windows theme tool). Errors ar good about telling you "this feature is not supported in your Window Manager. And its simply not what you a used to.

What will you lose? Nothing. You can always go back to Metacity by undoing the changes made to the sessions file.

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Seems liek a good idea but how do i isntall E16 i know about the E17 howto but E16 not sure and also what i got to lose which was stated above..

E16 is REALLY easy to install:

Add universe repository.

then:

sudo apt-get install enlightenment

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Can I use apps like emodules engage entrance eclair elicit entice examine eclips from Smoon's while using E16 ? What about Kompose ? Anyone tried it ?

Skel
August 5th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Alrigth i got E17 installed and all but 1 issue i cant minimize thing to tray they just vanish... Myabe you kwno the solultion to this it also does look nice
:)

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Alrigth i got E17 installed and all but 1 issue i cant minimize thing to tray they just vanish... Myabe you kwno the solultion to this it also does look nice
:)

To switch tasks in the E17 version, the only way (I have found after hours of work) is alt-tab. The gnome tray doesn't work with E17 (does with E16).

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Can you alt+tab ?

edit : Skip this.

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Can I use apps like emodules engage entrance eclair elicit entice examine eclips from Smoon's while using E16 ? What about Kompose ? Anyone tried it ?

Kompose, skippy and expocity won't work. I tried for hours with no success.

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Can I use apps like emodules engage entrance eclair elicit entice examine eclips from Smoon's while using E16 ?

Have not tried it.

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Have not tried it.
Nevermind, went back to E17. For the love of all twinkies, how do I edit the menu ?
I already posted this elsewhere, but eclair doesn't open. It sprays some
eclair: error while loading shared libraries: libtag.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Skel
August 5th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Cheers seems pretty nice... i wanna try Engage in this :-?

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 04:13 AM
I installed it and ran it from a terminal. My X never came back. I had to ctrl+alt+f3 and reboot without even seeing anything (screen just froze while the red LED on my box started screaming).

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Thanks for help guys...I added a big edit to the top, bolded the part about alt+tab, and put in instructions to install E16.

This thing just FLYS on my old laptop (128mb, 300mhz). Before I ran XFCE because Gnome was too slow. Using E16 Enlightened Gnome fixed that!

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Nevermind, went back to E17. For the love of all twinkies, how do I edit the menu ?

Edit what menu? The best advice are here:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=20216

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 04:16 AM

DONT TOUCH E16 ENGAGE YET! I think I can get it to work with this....but now its asking for trouble.

Omnios
August 5th, 2005, 04:17 AM
Can E-16, E-17 do Fluxbox like in focous out of focus app transparencies? not that I could get it to work with the synaptic version. "Crosses fingers"

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Can E-16, E-17 do Fluxbox like in focous out of focus app transparencies?

Hmmm.....what is that?

Push comes to shove, you can adapt my trick to put Fluxbox inside of Gnome!

Skel
August 5th, 2005, 04:18 AM
:-k Alrighty We need to tell elightment team to get the task bar workign i mean wtf no taskbar gonna drive me crazy :-#

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 04:20 AM
:-k Alrighty We need to tell elightment team to get the task bar workign i mean wtf no taskbar gonna drive me crazy :-#

Try the E16 version. It has its own task manager, and it works with the Gnome taskbar applet.

E17 is pretty raw.

Skel
August 5th, 2005, 04:24 AM
HMm so would i just install the Elightment 16 and and log in again or do i have to remove E17...

Skel
August 5th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Holy crap did u knwo if u move ur mouse to the the far rigth and get moving u move desktops in a enlightment one...........Thats amzing

One seems more metacity then Enlightment and the other is more Enlightment the Metacity odd

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 04:33 AM
HMm so would i just install the Elightment 16 and and log in again or do i have to remove E17...

I think you have to remove E17, I don't know. When you do, please post answer here!

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Holy crap did u knwo if u move ur mouse to the the far rigth and get moving u move desktops in a enlightment one...........Thats amzing

Welcome to the Age of Enlightenment.

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 04:35 AM
I think you have to remove E17, I don't know. When you do, please post answer here!
You don't have to remove it. It gets "downgraded". I just did it. In some weird process my GDM line got lost so I had to recreate it.

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 04:35 AM
Anyone here uses Evidence ? It doesn't look bad. I can only manage to open images with it :-X.

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 04:36 AM
You don't have to remove it. It gets "downgraded". I just did it. In some weird process my GDM line got lost so I had to recreate it.

Sweet!

Should I put in the howto in bold letters "I advise you use E16?"

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Sweet!

Should I put in the howto in bold letters "I advise you use E16?"
Ok I was messing with E alone. I just tried PHG's trick with E16. It's prett-E sweet man. Right now I don't even know what to do with the Iconbox. But the E pager rules them all.

There's this thing that bothers me. Right clicking on the desktop made Nautilus control it, wich means you don't get the sweet E menu anymore. So how did I fix it ? Applications > System Tools > ConfiguratioN Editor > apps > nautilus > preferences > UNCHECK show desktop. Et voilą ! Nice Enlightenment controlled Desktop :D.

Idiot question of the month: How in the world do I maximize ? I will send one bag of doritos to the first one that answers me.

P.S. - I just ran out of Doritos, but please answer.

Skel
August 5th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Right click on the top bar of the window and do "maximized" I beileve

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 04:49 AM
There's this thing that bothers me. Right clicking on the desktop made Nautilus control it, wich means you don't get the sweet E menu anymore. So how did I fix it ? Applications > System Tools > ConfiguratioN Editor > apps > nautilus > preferences > UNCHECK show desktop. Et voilą ! Nice Enlightenment controlled Desktop :D.

Iconbox rocks. I'm going to add your trick to my howto.

I got mine to maximize by clicking the maximize thing on the window. Also try rightclicking.

Skel
August 5th, 2005, 04:49 AM
I bet You Chips please :rolleyes:

Skel
August 5th, 2005, 04:51 AM
I noticed that gnome tray still works so if you got a app like xchat you can switch back to it by double clicking the tray icon.. Dont knwo if this helepd anyone but i noticed it betetr then alt+tab :razz:

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 04:55 AM
Ok I was messing with E alone. I just tried PHG's trick with E16. It's prett-E sweet man. Right now I don't even know what to do with the Iconbox. But the E pager rules them all.

Idiot question of the month: How in the world do I maximize ? I will send one bag of doritos to the first one that answers me.

P.S. - I just ran out of Doritos, but please answer.

Be messing with the settings, I turned on ripples. The DAMN BACKROUND RIPPLES! I'm in love. and it still eats almost no CPU.

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 04:57 AM
1. I still don't know how to use it (Iconbox). I don't even know what all the buttons on the title bar do. BTW, for some reason I had it "maximized" but it really wasn't. Now it's cool though :D.

2. This is the most ridiculous thing ever. It made me laugh so much that such powerful thing was so light:
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/6408/aa0cs.jpg

3. Coolest thing If seen. Moving your mouse to the border and have it change Virtual Desktops is cool right ? Here's something 10x more kick ass: In E's awsome pager, drag an application right in the middle of two Virtual Desktops. Now even if you move from one desktop to another, you get half of the application. That just rocks.
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/3584/lol8lv.th.jpg (http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lol8lv.jpg)

For the record, using "E16 Enlightened Gnome", nothing has broke or felt weird.

PoofyHG, you own today's Game ball.
http://www.paragonsports.com/Paragon/images/medium/73_F1000_pd.jpg

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Be messing with the settings, I turned on ripples. The DAMN BACKROUND RIPPLES! I'm in love. and it still eats almost no CPU.
E17 ? Can I try that on E16? If not, it still rocks :P

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 04:59 AM
E17 ? Can I try that on E16? If not, it still rocks :P

I'm talking about E16!!!!!!!

This thing is a miracle!!!

Thanks for the ball bored!!

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 05:03 AM
Tip (at least for E16):

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2205/tip7ix.jpg

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 05:04 AM
I'm talking about E16!!!!!!!

This thing is a miracle!!!

Thanks for the ball bored!!
How'd you do that O.o ?

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 05:05 AM
This theme is awesome:

http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/shade/

All themes:

http://themes.freshmeat.net/browse/60/?topic_id=60

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 05:07 AM
How'd you do that O.o ?

right click desktop, then chose special FX settings, then check ripples and waves at the bottom.

NoTiG
August 5th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Why is metacity so slow? according to the wiki:

Metacity, unlike the previous choices for GNOME window manager, has few configuration options and its introduction as the default choice was a controversial one. Those in favour of Metacity say that GNOME is aimed at new computer users who do not need the extreme configurability of Sawfish or Enlightenment. Havoc Pennington wrote an essay explaining why he wrote Metacity and simplified the GNOME desktop [

does making it less configurable make it slower???

edit: i like this one: http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/ganymede_/

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Some E16 installs like mine won't add a GDM line, so I suggest you add it to your HowTo.

The fix is here: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=287505#post287505

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Why is metacity so slow?

Because Rasterman is not a muggle.

I have no better reason!

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 05:13 AM
right click desktop, then chose special FX settings, then check ripples and waves at the bottom.
Ok it ripples. VM usage went from 9mb ... to ... 12mb ! This ain't right.. Enlightenment rules. PHG rules. Metacity's locked in the basement.

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 05:21 AM
Why is metacity so slow? according to the wiki:

does making it less configurable make it slower???

edit: i like this one: http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/ganymede_/
Ganymede's in the repositories.

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Ganymede's in the repositories.
Anyone else experiencing this: Firefox makes use of the Metacity mouse cursors, not E's. Everything else uses E's. Not a problem but weird.

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 05:29 AM
How do I add new themes? I have shade-default-0.48.tar.gz on $HOME/.enlightenment/themes .

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Its so easy to theme in E16. Here is directions:

http://www.deepsky.com/~e/pages/faq.html

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Its so easy to theme in E16. Here is directions:

http://www.deepsky.com/~e/pages/faq.htmlI was wondering what I was going to do with these .gz files...
This so rocks.. Chua Wen Kiat should Include a E howto in hig U-Guide :P

Sam
August 5th, 2005, 05:44 AM
I really would like to try Enlightenment, however I have a little question before: will your howto create an another session entry in the login screen (you see what I mean? eg. actually Gnome+Metacity, after Gnome+Metacity & Gnome+Enlightenment), or will it replace Metacity at all ? Just in case of reverting if I doesn't like Enlightenment... Thank you !

TravisNewman
August 5th, 2005, 05:45 AM
The man with the dead skin cells protruding further and more carelessly from his head than the average person (poofyhairguy, get it?) is on a roll with popular threads tonight.

I'm going to try this one out tomorrow.

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 05:47 AM
I really would like to try Enlightenment, however I have a little question before: will your howto create an another session entry in the login screen (you see what I mean? eg. actually Gnome+Metacity, after Gnome+Metacity & Gnome+Enlightenment), or will it replace Metacity at all ? Just in case of reverting if I doesn't like Enlightenment... Thank you !
It will take over. To revert you just go "undo" the " sudo gedit ~/.gnome2/session" step. Pretty easy.

And btw, you can't _not_ like it. You got nothing to lose using E man.

P.S. - The "move cursor to a border to change between virtual desktops" is the coolest invention after the toilet. It's also a lot more fast and useful than Metacity's pager and/or keyboard shortcuts. Edit: It's also the perfect excuse to not close or minimize anything ever again.

TravisNewman
August 5th, 2005, 05:51 AM
just an unimportant side-note, the title of the thread makes me think of a candy bar made out of eyes.

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 05:54 AM
This so rocks.. Chua Wen Kiat should Include a E howto in hig U-Guide :P

This does rock. The only thing that hasn't worked for me in E16 is the show desktop applet.

Here is a screenshot. It can't do E justice, but it does show whats going on. Notice that the focused app (the newest Empire Episode in Gxine) it dark and the non focused one is grey.

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 05:54 AM
just an unimportant side-note, the title of the thread makes me think of a candy bar made out of eyes.
Enlightenment is better than Similasan.
http://www.allaboutvision.com/products/similasan-pinkeye-193x176.jpg

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 05:56 AM

Just undo my steps and Metacity comes back.

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 05:57 AM

fixed?

Skel
August 5th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Couldnt downgrade to enlightment 16 so i stuck with no tray i saw that screen u posted now i would love to that that taskbar and elightment features...

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 05:59 AM
This does rock. The only thing that hasn't worked for me in E16 is the show desktop applet.
I hardly use the desktop so I hadn't noticed. And no, you're sshot does no Justice at _all_ .

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Couldnt downgrade to enlightment 16 so i stuck with no tray i saw that screen u posted now i would love to that that taskbar and elightment features...
Did you remove the preferences file you created ? If you didn't remove it,
1. sudo rm /etc/apt/preferences
2. Block smoon's repositories (not necessarily, but at least for now)
3. sudo apt-get update
4. sudo apt-get install enlightenment

What's the problem ?

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 06:07 AM
One last thing:

Xcompmgr likes Enlightenment better than Metacity. You can do fading and real drop shawdows all day, without the annoying random crashes.

Ok...anyone good with the Wiki? I have a big beef with a certain page:

http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/XEyeCandy

Outstanding Issues

Right now, we have low Bling.

It lies. We no longer have low bling. Luminocity wasn't the solution, Enlightened Gnome is.

In comparison, Luminocity sucks. The person that wrote that page never messed with it I guess.

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAL

Good night.

Skel
August 5th, 2005, 06:14 AM
sudo rm /etc/apt/preferences

I didnt think of that I actaully forgot i did that ](*,) Cheers :)

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 06:18 AM
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4057/screenshot5xm.th.png (http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot5xm.png)

Ok I dare anyone to try attempting this with Metacity. Here's the rundown:
You are seeing three different virtual desktops (yes, three). The first one has a tiled Azureus. From the second one you are able to see nautilus, gnome-panel and Enlightenment's pager. The third one is running Firefox on our Forums. How can this be done? See the gray bar on the 2nd virtual desktop ? you can drag that baby to your liking like it's just a simple sheet of paper, revealing a second desktop underneath. For the third desktop's Firefox to appear, I just dragged it via the pager and left it midways, so It's on both desktops.

"I dare you, I.. I double dare you" (Pulp Fiction, 1994) to try such thing on Metacity ;).

By the way, my keyboard's Media Hotkeys still work :D (the other one's don't, but I only use Play,pause,mute, etc so it's all love).

benplaut
August 5th, 2005, 06:35 AM
how the hell do i change E settings?!

there something very simply that i'm missing...

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 06:40 AM
how the hell do i change E settings?!

there something very simply that i'm missing...
Settings like ?

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=287499&postcount=45

benplaut
August 5th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Settings like ?

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=287499&postcount=45

AHA!

i just needed to right+left click on the desktop :P

hmm... now for a better theme...

benplaut
August 5th, 2005, 08:04 AM
OK, next questions:

1) find good themes for e16?

2) any way to turn off the window-resize-on-any-border

3) how do i show desktop (or minimize all, whichever)

thanks poofy... this is totally awesome :grin:

Sam
August 5th, 2005, 09:04 AM
I just played a lot with E16 now, it has great features, but it doesn't fit my needs and there are some things I doesn't like. I'll go back with Gnome, at least if E17 become stable. I would like to try this one. I just watch some movies, and it's amazing !!!

Have a look:

e17_movie-01.avi (http://www.rasterman.com/files/e17_movie-01.avi)
e17_movie-02.avi (http://www.rasterman.com/files/e17_movie-02.avi) (I LOVE that scrolling background :-P)
e17_movie-03.avi (http://www.rasterman.com/files/e17_movie-03.avi)

Anyway, thanks for having made me discover this !

Neo40
August 5th, 2005, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE=poofyhairguy]This theme is awesome:

Does this theme work with E17?

bored2k
August 5th, 2005, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=poofyhairguy]This theme is awesome:

Does this theme work with E17?
Yes, I'm using it as we speak.

benplaut
August 6th, 2005, 03:50 AM
sorry bored2k, poofy, and all other Ezealots, but it's just not good enough yet.

first of all, of the themes available that i've looked at (many), all are low resolution pixmaps, and none have a professional feel to them.

i guess i'll use this to show off the mad skillz of Linux's eye candy, but it's not for me.

hmm... openbox... or metacity... (i love my metacity theme, but i feal guilty at not using openbox, when i know i should)

bored2k
August 6th, 2005, 04:37 AM
sorry bored2k, poofy, and all other Ezealots, but it's just not good enough yet.

Why are you calling me a zealot ? I stick to what works. I had never looked at E with any respect until yesterday August 4th @ 10:00pm. Today's August the 5th @ 11:35pm. It's been a day since I tried it and it works, there's not reason to call anybody a zealot.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=287584&postcount=71
I was amazed by that and It's very useful to me. If you think finding something that works is being zealot, we should all be avoiding Linux and using another OS. Now can you do that with Metacity ? If so, teach this zealot how.

</rant>
Edit: I just watched The Untouchables, bear with me.

benplaut
August 6th, 2005, 04:55 AM
Why are you calling me a zealot ? I stick to what works. I had never looked at E with any respect until yesterday August 4th @ 10:00pm. Today's August the 5th @ 11:35pm. It's been a day since I tried it and it works, there's not reason to call anybody a zealot.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=287584&postcount=71
I was amazed by that and It's very useful to me. If you think finding something that works is being zealot, we should all be avoiding Linux and using another OS. Now can you do that with Metacity ? If so, teach this zealot how.

</rant>
Edit: I just watched The Untouchables, bear with me.

i consider being a ___ zealot a compliment :P

well, it seemed you had taken this on, so i considered you knew quite a bit about it :roll:

anyway, to each his/her own :)

BTW, i love the avatar ;-)

bored2k
August 6th, 2005, 05:16 AM
i consider being a ___ zealot a compliment :P

well, it seemed you had taken this on, so i considered you knew quite a bit about it :roll:

anyway, to each his/her own :)

BTW, i love the avatar ;-)
No probs man, keep it rocking as the french cuisine Cookie Monster ;) .

Zealot: A fanatically committed person.

BTW, Bonta-kun says hi :D
http://www.animenfo.com/anime/character/display.php?id=3590&n=bydlxj&t=bonta_kun
http://shounen.ru/img/fmp2_fumoffu.jpg

poofyhairguy
August 6th, 2005, 09:19 AM

first of all, of the themes available that i've looked at (many), all are low resolution pixmaps, and none have a professional feel to them.

i guess i'll use this to show off the mad skillz of Linux's eye candy, but it's not for me.

hmm... openbox... or metacity... (i love my metacity theme, but i feal guilty at not using openbox, when i know i should)

I agree many of the themes suck. Its that Slate E17 theme that brought me in. Based on a Metacity theme it is...

Enlightened Gnome was my way of dealing with the problem that Gnome has too little eye candy compared to KDE. As an eye candy freak, I probably just should have used KDE (and I might if the WOW factor of this new thing wears off) but I wanted to give Gnome its best shot. I like GTK apps, I like Gnome, But I really don't like Metacity. Whoever can up with the "lets draw black lines everywhere" "feature" almost ruined Gnome.

I fought back (Stormy Eyes did as well- look at his Openbox howto). And I'm glad I did.

Bring on the Age of Enlightenment.

hunteramor
August 6th, 2005, 12:54 PM
so, i enlightened my gnome ;-) but decided that the next couple of weeks (very busy) isn't the time to adjust/customize a new window manager. switched back to straight-up gnome, but found that i can no longer right-click on the desktop to get open terminal, new folder, etc.

right click seems to not have any effect, post uninstall of E16.

anyone know why this could be or how i can get that functionality back? thanks!

/looking forward to reinstalling E once i'm back in the u.s.

EDIT:
well then, nevermind. if anyone makes the same stupid mistake, just don't forget to set nautilus to draw the desktop again in configuration editor ](*,)

poofyhairguy
August 6th, 2005, 08:18 PM
so, i enlightened my gnome ;-) but decided that the next couple of weeks (very busy) isn't the time to adjust/customize a new window manager. switched back to straight-up gnome, but found that i can no longer right-click on the desktop to get open terminal, new folder, etc.

right click seems to not have any effect, post uninstall of E16.

anyone know why this could be or how i can get that functionality back? thanks!

/looking forward to reinstalling E once i'm back in the u.s.

EDIT:
well then, nevermind. if anyone makes the same stupid mistake, just don't forget to set nautilus to draw the desktop again in configuration editor ](*,)

The best part is that its easy to undo.

seanroth
August 6th, 2005, 09:34 PM
http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/silvermania/
That's a really nice theme. :)

jnoreiko
August 6th, 2005, 11:10 PM
I've installed E16 on my system (a pretty fresh Hoary, Athlon 64 3000+, 1GB RAM).

It's faster than the GNOME default.
But it's still not perfect. If I drag a firefox window around off the edge of the screen, I still get muck in it when it comes back.
Is it not possible to handle windows the way OS X does it? AFAIK that always keeps the whole of the window in memory, and just puts a composite on the display. It's why Expose works so smoothly, because the mechanism to do it is already there.

A minor niggle with E16 is that the bottom right hand drag area on GNOME app windows doesn't do anything any more. You have to actually go onto the window border.

poofyhairguy
August 6th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Is it not possible to handle windows the way OS X does it?

Nope. That has nothing to do with the Window Manager and everything to do with Xorg. OSX was built from the ground up to avoid redraw issues. Normal Unix (Linux, BSD, everything not OSX) won't catch up till GLX is ready. GLX is brand new this year, so (I'm guessing) it will take at least two years to get finished and stable.

If it really bugs you, you have to buy OSX. There is no second best, no way to fix it today.

jnoreiko
August 7th, 2005, 12:02 PM
If it really bugs you, you have to buy OSX. There is no second best, no way to fix it today.

I have OS X... but it'll be great when this comes to the linux desktop :)
In the meantime, is there a way to have the smoothness of E, but keep the basic GNOME look and integration? I don't really want all the whizzy features.

poofyhairguy
August 7th, 2005, 03:18 PM
I have OS X... but it'll be great when this comes to the linux desktop :)
In the meantime, is there a way to have the smoothness of E, but keep the basic GNOME look and integration? I don't really want all the whizzy features.

Openbox is a replacement for Metacity that is more Gnomish. Search for Stormy Eye's how to.

Stormy Eyes
August 7th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Openbox is a replacement for Metacity that is more Gnomish. Search for Stormy Eye's how to.

Don't bother searching. Just look at my sig.

rpgcyco
August 7th, 2005, 03:26 PM
poofyhairguy: I followed your HOWTO and it worked a treat, thanks! :D

But now, I feel the need to dump GNOME and use Enlightenment standalone, so I was wondering if you know a config or script I can edit so gnome-settings-daemon starts with Enlightenment?

I had a quick look through ~/.e and all the sub dirs but found nothing.

- Rpg Cyco

poofyhairguy
August 7th, 2005, 08:03 PM
poofyhairguy: I followed your HOWTO and it worked a treat, thanks! :D

But now, I feel the need to dump GNOME and use Enlightenment standalone, so I was wondering if you know a config or script I can edit so gnome-settings-daemon starts with Enlightenment?

- Rpg Cyco

Hmm....not really. I put E inside of Gnome because it is easier than building Gnome in E.

To get teh "gnome feel" you would also need gnome-panel and gnome-volume-manager.

PMO6022
August 8th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Well, I've gotten my enlightened gnome set up, and while I can't say I see a huge improvement in responsiveness (pentium 4, 3GHz), it certainly isn't slower, and I like it a whole lot more. One big thing metacity is missing is the ability to remember where a window is, and restart the app to that same place on the screen. Anyway, I've attached a screenshot.

poofyhairguy
August 8th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Well, I've gotten my enlightened gnome set up, and while I can't say I see a huge improvement in responsiveness (pentium 4, 3GHz)

At that level....its all about the same.

(my desktop is of same class....its my slow laptop that gets the performance boost)

Chareos
August 21st, 2005, 09:38 PM
I was wondering about... installing it on kubuntu ?

It would be possible ?

darkmatter
August 21st, 2005, 10:19 PM
I was wondering if you know a config or script I can edit so gnome-settings-daemon starts with Enlightenment?

- Rpg Cyco

Just create an .eap for gnome-settings-daemon and place it in ~/.e/e/applications/startup. the daemon will now start with E.

I was wondering about... installing it on kubuntu ?

It would be possible ?

Enlightenment will run on Kubuntu as well, though I'm not certian as to the configuration required to run it within KDE.

I still argue that E is at it's best when run alone...

Chareos
August 22nd, 2005, 07:44 AM
If that's auto-sufficient, why he didn't come a viable alternative to Gnome and Kde ?
Just asking.

Maybe the undernath Gnome gives E what it's missing ?

poofyhairguy
August 22nd, 2005, 08:05 AM

I think so. And vice versa.

Chareos
August 22nd, 2005, 08:22 AM
Ok. Trying now to get it from Synaptic, then I'll relog and choose E from KDM. Don't know what will happen, and if I'll be in a full (limited) E environment or in my KDE with E on top. We'll see.

darkmatter
August 22nd, 2005, 08:48 AM
If that's auto-sufficient, why he didn't come a viable alternative to Gnome and Kde ?
Just asking.

Just personal opinion. And to clarify, by running E alone I meant not running it within another environment, but rather running components of other environments within E.(E alone being the primary interface)

I do have a minimal gnome-panel for the notification area (needed for gaim and some other apps, as I despise default settings that auto raise windows into focus, and the tray is the easiest way to deal with those apps) as well as the volume applet and some others(as needed).

I've also set up access to gksuexec and other GNOME niceties to make my UI more complete.

But indeed, to create a truly complete experience one must also use various elements of KDE/GNOME along with E (or any other WM), as one of the greatest strengths of the various environments is how well they complement eachother.

Chareos
August 22nd, 2005, 08:52 AM
Just trying.

(came back to KDE because...)

I find nothing !
Enabled KDE support in E but no KDE menu comes available (yes, I re-initialized menu after enabling it)!