PDA

View Full Version : Correct me if I am wrong..

phrostbyte
September 6th, 2007, 11:01 PM
But doesn't having six month releases which are supported for 18 months, and one LTS release supported for three years, means as much as FIVE versions will be supported at once? Isn't that pretty difficult to manage?

starcraft.man
September 6th, 2007, 11:59 PM
But doesn't having six month releases which are supported for 18 months, and one LTS release supported for three years, means as much as FIVE versions will be supported at once? Isn't that pretty difficult to manage?

So far seems to be doing just fine. It can't be any harder than Microsoft supporting Windows 2k, XP, Vista (and a hand full of other services) for over 600 million+ users combined for between 5 and 10 years. If there is a need, it will be filled :). The repository system is very elegant IMO anyway, long as the bandwidth is there to serve the user base.

Tomosaur
September 7th, 2007, 12:11 AM

"Supported" is a bit much - generally speaking I think they just mean the repositories will be online for that long - from what I've heard, anything but the current release has to use outdated software if they wish to use the repositories, but don't quote me on that.

FuturePilot
September 7th, 2007, 12:18 AM
"Supported" is a bit much - generally speaking I think they just mean the repositories will be online for that long - from what I've heard, anything but the current release has to use outdated software if they wish to use the repositories, but don't quote me on that.

As long as a version is supported it will still receive updates.(Mostly security updates) But won't get any newer versions of software. For example, Dapper is still receiving updates, but still has Firefox 1.5

prizrak
September 7th, 2007, 02:37 AM
As long as a version is supported it will still receive updates.(Mostly security updates) But won't get any newer versions of software. For example, Dapper is still receiving updates, but still has Firefox 1.5

That is correct