PDA

View Full Version : Recycling Computers?

user1397
September 6th, 2007, 10:22 PM
How can I recycle a dead computer?

My old HP finally gave out, after several blue screens, and random reboots. Now it just doesn't turn on anymore, I think that literally every component in it has died in some way. Anyhow, I don't care much for it anymore, since I got my new computer.

I can't really donate it, because what good is a dead computer to anybody...

So how can I recycle my dead computer? Can I take it somewhere so that the elements used to make computers are recycled? I know that Dell has a recyvlng program where you buy a PC from them and they give you a box to recycle your old computer...but I haven't heard of any other such program.

Anybody have an idea, a link, a place they know of, anything?

FurryNemesis
September 6th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Depends which country you're in.

yabbadabbadont
September 6th, 2007, 10:48 PM

And which city too sometimes.

user1397
September 6th, 2007, 11:39 PM

And which city too sometimes.a north central floridian town sometimes connected with the success of a large predatorial reptile that hasn't changed for millions of years...and in the US of course :)

n3tfury
September 6th, 2007, 11:43 PM
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/waste/categories/electronics/default.htm ??

yabbadabbadont
September 6th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Most larger cities have a company or two who, for a small fee, will recycle old computer equipment for you. Check your local yellow pages to see if any are in your area. Also, I would remove any hard drives from the machine and destroy them yourself. There have been too many stories of "recycled" drives ending up on E-Bay and the like.

Edit: Too slow. :D

K.Mandla
September 6th, 2007, 11:51 PM
You could give it to a geek, who might want to try to resurrect it. Or you could disassemble it and try out the parts in different computers.

If you do get rid of it completely, see if you can find a place that specifically recycles machines, and doesn't just dump them in third world countries.

And now, there is a new threat - the dumping of electronic waste, or e-waste: unwanted mobile phones, computers and printers, which contain cadmium, lead, mercury and other poisons. More than 20 million computers become obsolete in America alone each year.
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0921-09.htm

(Not a very good link, but the first one I could find. :roll: )

Edit: Actually, I think this was a non-answer to your question. You asked how to recycle one, and I said to recycle it. :roll: Sorry.

Don't forget that some companies will take your old machine as a trade-in on a new one. I think Dell and HP have programs for that.

starcraft.man
September 7th, 2007, 12:16 AM
I'm a salvage guy. Gut and reuse I say. I doubt very much every part died... likely it's just the mobo or the HD. I'd test in a clean box to find the problem and dispose of the broken stuff (at proper place). Then if the working old stuff is of no use to you, donate to a local charity for computers. Search the local papers or internet for a charity near you, I know there are plenty that build for the less fortunate.