PDA

View Full Version : Distroholic's Anonymous-For those who can't stop...

LaRoza
September 6th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Latest Count: 77

Many people are constantly testing and downloading new Linux distro's. For me, it is not a problem, and fun, but some people say we need a "Distroholic's Anonymous". Well, this is it.

Discuss your (our) compulsion to download, buy, install, run live, maybe even steal any distro we hear about. Mention how many you have, which ones you want, which is your latest, anything related to our compulsion.

At the top of your first post, have a "latest count" which you can update periodically instead of making a new post.

I have all mine listed in a MySQL database at home, I will post them tomorrow

bobbocanfly
September 6th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Not a distroholic yet but there are a fair few i wanna try at some point.

Now:

Ubuntu 6.10 LiveCD
Ubuntu 7.10 ShipIt LiveCD
Kubuntu 7.10 ShipIt LiveCD
Fedora Core 6 (Alt DVD)
Slax 5.1.8.1
Backtrack 2
GParted LiveCD

Future

OpenSUSE
Slackware
Gentoo
PCLOS
CentOS
Debian
TTYLinux
Xubuntu
Ubuntu Studio
Open or FreeBSD
Puppy Linux
Damn Small
Wolvix
Arch

justin whitaker
September 6th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Ok, here is what I recall that I have at home.

OpenSUSE 10.2 beta 2
PC-BSD 1.4RC
Puppy Linux (whatever the latest one is)
Sidux 2007.3
Gentoo 2007.0
Arch "Don't Panic"
Frugalware .07rc2
Slackware 11, 12
Mandriva 2007 Spring Powepack (subscription), 2008 beta
Fedora 7.0
Dynebolic
LFS live CD
T2 SDE
Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu 6.06+GG Tribe 5
FreeBSD
DesktopBSD
KateOS (latest DVD)
Yoper Titanium
Linux Mint KDE Community Edition
PCLinuxOS
Sabayon 3.4e
Zenwalk 4.6.1
Vector 5.8 SOHO
Elive 1.0 GEM
Dreamlinux 2.2 MME
Morphix
Slax 6.0rc (5? 6? Whatever the latest one is).
Wolvix
Pardus 2007.2
Engarde (latest)

That's what I recall off the top of my head.

Oh, and I also tracked down ISOs of JAMD (2003) which was sort of a rpm based pre-Linspire (it still works) and Rubix, which was a Slackware/Arch based distro that I believe extensively used RUBY for the system configurations instead of Python.

I also have an ISO of Syllable floating around, and I seemed to have misplaced my copy of Ubuntu Studio.

Yes, I have a problem. :)

dca
September 6th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Hmm, those days are long gone for me. On my personal equip I usually navigate between the Ubuntu & SuSE releases...

justin whitaker
September 6th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Hmm, those days are long gone for me. On my personal equip I usually navigate between the Ubuntu & SuSE releases...

Heh. Yes, it is a problem. I don't have anywhere near enough partitions for all of that, so I bang on Gutsy for a while and say "I'll get to those". :)

LaRoza
September 6th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Heh. Yes, it is a problem. I don't have anywhere near enough partitions for all of that, so I bang on Gutsy for a while and say "I'll get to those". :)

Use GParted to make many partitions. I have 10 OS's on one 160 GB hard drive, 11 partitions (swap).

b0ng0
September 6th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I went through a severe phase of trying new distros. I felt like Ubuntu was too popular and wanted to try something a bit more underground (not that being popular is bad but it's like when your favourite band becomes liked by everyone they sort of lose their appeal). I wasted a lot of CD's and my addiction became so bad I was even using DVD-RW's for CD sized distros. The partition of my HDD where I tested them must be formatted to the point where it's almost powder. Anyway, after trying loads I've settled on Arch since I can basically make it what I want it to be, just build it from the ground up. Woo!

HermanAB
September 6th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I run them on VMware and save the virtual machines on DVDs, otherwise the HDD will get full and this way, my base system stays working properly.

Onyros
September 6th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I settled on Arch after trying a whole lotta distros, but I still keep on trying a few distros, which I keep close just in case, something like: ZenWalk, Vector, Wolvix, Puppy, DSL and sidux (KDE-lite version).

Other than that, I'm currently working on my own LiveCD, based on Arch, and it's been really fun to implement all those things I've felt that I wanted on other distros' configs.

Dragonbite
September 6th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I guess it sounds better than the term a friend labeled me...

Distro *****

Oh well... But I do keep finding my eyes wandering to one place or another. The only good thing is that Ubuntu is my "failsafe"... no matter how screwed up the disto is/becomes I can "always install Ubuntu and be up-and-running very quickly".