PDA

View Full Version : Cheap & Quiet Power Supply that is good for running 24/7?

tak1150
September 6th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I have built a proxy server out of an old PC that I got from a colleague and it is LOUD! What's worse, it's in our bedroom...

I'm looking for a quiet power supply replacement and I'm (as always) on a tight budget. Can anybody recommend me one? Thank you!

OffHand
September 6th, 2007, 03:56 PM
usually the quiet ones do not come cheap...

tak1150
September 6th, 2007, 04:00 PM
usually the quiet ones do not come cheap...

I agree. But looking through some of the reviews online, sometimes people say that some of the cheap ones are pretty quiet.

I know I can buy an expensive PS that's supposed to be quiet, but then I wouldn't have to ask around.

blueturtl
September 6th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Try Fortron/FSP Group. Those come pretty cheap. I think 350W model with a 12cm fan is only like 35 euros or less.

tak1150
September 6th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the tip.
I was hoping for tips regarding the actual PS that people own themselve (ie personal experience :) ).

35 euro seems expensive to me in dollars :(

glupee
September 6th, 2007, 04:19 PM
PSU are really important. A bad psu can damage multiple components in your system. check the link and look up some of the psu's on there... i recommend tier 2 as they have good performance/reliablitiy and are much more affordable than tier 1's. I'm sure you'll be able to find something in your price range.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

good luck.

blueturtl
September 6th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I was hoping for tips regarding the actual PS that people own themselve (ie personal experience ).

35 euro seems expensive to me in dollars

I have owned a Fortron PSU myself before switching to Seasonic. Didn't switch because there was anything wrong, just needed a PSU with more power mind you. There are still quit a few FSP group units in our family and all serve well. They are reasonably quiet if the system is otherwise stable. 35 euros is what they cost here, but I'd be willing to bet something on the fact you'll probably find them cheaper in the USA.

tak1150
September 7th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I have owned a Fortron PSU myself before switching to Seasonic. Didn't switch because there was anything wrong, just needed a PSU with more power mind you. There are still quit a few FSP group units in our family and all serve well. They are reasonably quiet if the system is otherwise stable. 35 euros is what they cost here, but I'd be willing to bet something on the fact you'll probably find them cheaper in the USA.

Thanks again, blueturtl!

You're right. I looked up fortran PSU's at newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104954

and it seems like they are rated higher than average. I really like what all the customers had to say in the review. I guess good PS's cost more too. I know I'm being really cheap (and perhaps unreasonably), $58 is above my budget :(

You will probably tell me "I told you so", but I ordered a Coolmax PS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817159011). We'll see how this turns out. For the next machine I build/repair, I will definitely keep Fortran in mind though.

regomodo
September 8th, 2007, 08:59 PM
i bought a xilince 550w psu from quietpc.co.uk

Not as quiet as i hoped and cost me around £70 ($150)

I bought a real cheap one from ebuyer (£20) it was fairly quiet but had read that it wouldn't last for long.

However, the xilence feels well built and is heavy