PDA

View Full Version : what program do I use for my digital camera?

KezzerDrix
August 4th, 2005, 09:25 PM
what program do I use for my digital camera?

poofyhairguy
August 4th, 2005, 09:40 PM
what program do I use for my digital camera?

Plug it in, for most cameras Ubuntu will tell you exactly what to do.

(If that doesn't work, or you don't like the default program there is digikam. Its what I use).

BWF89
August 4th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Does anyone know a website where they list digital cameras 100% guerenteed to work with Linux?

Because when I get a digital camera I plan on useing it for 10-15 years before I get a new one and when I finially install Linux I want for it to work with it.

qalimas
August 4th, 2005, 11:30 PM
I haven't used my camera with Ubuntu, but in Kubuntu, plug it in, turn it on, and the icon will appear on your desktop

polo_step
August 4th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Does anyone know a website where they list digital cameras 100% guerenteed to work with Linux?
There are no guarantees in Linux.

Reb
August 4th, 2005, 11:49 PM
There are no guarantees in Linux.Or in life...

Reb
August 4th, 2005, 11:51 PM
But this (http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php) is a good place to start.

poofyhairguy
August 5th, 2005, 12:07 AM

Because when I get a digital camera I plan on useing it for 10-15 years before I get a new one and when I finially install Linux I want for it to work with it.

There are two kinds:

Ones like most Sonys that mount as USB devices. Those always work almost.

Ones that require a special driver ot Windows program to work. You can guess about those.

Ampersand
August 5th, 2005, 01:13 AM
smartmedia readers work in ubuntu, so if you get a camera which uses those, it's pretty much guaranteed to work.

xmastree
August 5th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Ones that require a special driver or Windows program to work. You can guess about those.Well, so long as the camera has some kind of removable media, you can buy a card reader and use that.

Ubuntu recognises both the ones I have. It even identified the no name one which I didn't have a Win98 driver for, and with that info I was able to find one. :grin:

Saves the camera batteries too.

drizek
August 5th, 2005, 02:30 AM
i just bought a card reader(pretty cheap) and it makes it a lot easier. its also ussually faster to transfer from a cardreader.

just choose a nice camera, and if it works in linux, great, if not, get a card reader. i never even bothered trying to hook up my camera. the cables and hassle and having to turn it on while transfering just isnt worth it.

OttoDestruct
August 5th, 2005, 02:33 AM
This is somewhat non help relevant, but oh well I'm preaching my praise for Ubuntu.

Just in the week before I tried Ubuntu, I wanted to get some pictures off my camera. I hadn't loaded the actual software which came with it, and simply used Photoshop Elements to import pictures. Thats all fine and dandy, but I also had a movie which I wanted to transfer over... which Elements didn't see. So I said 'ok... I'll just install their software'.... I pop the CD in, browse to the folder containing the software... and then it installs not only the program I wanted but about 10 others that I don't want.... needless to say I'm not happy with Cannon. I looked but you can't just download the software (Zoombrowser EX) standalone. So needless to say I was happy when pretty much all I had to do in Ubuntu was a quick look in Synaptic, do a quick 30 second download, plug my camera in, and I had pictures and movie transfer ability with 0 bloat. I love Ubuntu.

NeoSNightmarE
August 5th, 2005, 04:17 AM
Well, so long as the camera has some kind of removable media, you can buy a card reader and use that.

Ubuntu recognises both the ones I have. It even identified the no name one which I didn't have a Win98 driver for, and with that info I was able to find one. :grin:

Saves the camera batteries too.
I have 3 Kodaks and they all work with Ubuntu. It just gives me the dialog and downloads :D but as sed, there's no set rules with Linux.

polo_step
August 7th, 2005, 12:24 AM
i just bought a card reader(pretty cheap) and it makes it a lot easier. its also ussually faster to transfer from a cardreader.
Personally, I can't see any reason why anyone would do it any other way, especially given the typical futzing about it takes to get a new procedure going in Linux. If your Linux box can handle a $4 USB card reader, you should be home free with no other software or weirdness.

nicholaspaul
August 8th, 2005, 09:25 PM
For what it's worth, my $30 Vivitar 3350 works perfectly in KDE - just as a previous post said, I plugged it in, it appeared on the desktop and the pics appeared in a new window. Perfect!