PDA

View Full Version : Command line programs FTW!!!

blithen
September 6th, 2007, 05:48 AM
cmus: Music player
finch: text based pidgin
Sadly those are the only two I know of.
Of course I know of the text editors, but I was wondering if anyone else had some handy Command Line programs?

LookTJ
September 6th, 2007, 06:05 AM
rtorrent - cli torrent client.

~LoKe
September 6th, 2007, 06:06 AM
rTorrent, ncmpc/mpd, links2, htop.

eentonig
September 6th, 2007, 06:11 AM
btdownloadheadless.bittorrent
lynx
and a bunch of admin or monitoring tools:
lsof, htop, bw-ng, ethtool, ...

RomeReactor
September 6th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Here (http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/Using_The_Linux_Console) are (http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2007/05/21/a-day-without-x/) a few (http://gentoo-wiki.com/List_of_Useful_Console_Applications) more (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3069480&postcount=10). :D

viergeame
September 6th, 2007, 06:48 AM
I've found centericq and naim to be pretty decent IM clients. I like centericq better than naim, but most of my friends that have tried both prefer naim.

tbroderick
September 6th, 2007, 07:31 AM
screen and ssh

ynnhoj
September 6th, 2007, 12:05 PM
irssi or weechat for irc.

LaRoza
September 6th, 2007, 12:40 PM
dc

rolando2424
September 6th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Where the hell is nethack?!

Some others:

Ncmpc (curses frontend for mpd)
Midnight Commander (system browser)
Slrn (to read usenet)
Raggle/Snownews (To read RSS. I like the Raggle interface more than the Snownews, but Raggle gives me some problems with some letters :( (kinda like centericq)).
mplayer (You can control it from the command line, and if you use -vo caca or -vo aa or even -vo svga you can watch videos without X ).
Vlc also has a ncurses interface.
Elinks or Links2 (With links2 you can use the -g flag to run a graphical interface that also works without an X (uses svga)).
Bmon (to check internet velocity)
Saidar (hardware information)
Orpie / qcalc (to do math problems)
Alongside nethack, there is also angband, dungeon crawl, etc.
You can also install the bsdgames package that brings a some command line games (tetris, star trek, air traffic controller, etc.)
Also, there is ninvaders (If I recall correctly) that is a command-line Space Invader game.
Typespeed (Game that "teaches" touch typing).
calcurse (calendar/agenda/to-do list) or reminder and his frontends.
Mutt (to read emails)
abook (to keep addresses)
alsamixer (to control the sound).

And several others :D

EDIT: And I almost forgot ncftp (to connect to ftp servers).
Though you can also use Midnight Commander to connect to ftps, I prefer using ncftp.

EDIT2 (But be pretty dump today) I also forgot Unp, that is a small wrapper around your file compressing applications, so you don't have to know all the commands (one for tar, zip, etc.). Just use "unp file" and he'l figure out what program to use.

mcduck
September 6th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Mpd with ncmpc for music, Finch (Pidgin's CLI interface), Imagemagick for all photo converting and resizing, elinks for web and ADOM for wasting time. :D

I often use Python as CLI calculator..

blithen
September 6th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the responses!

proalan
September 6th, 2007, 03:15 PM
The cli IRC with a rude name bitchX

justin whitaker
September 6th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I loves command line apps.

Some others not mentioned here.

Bashburn
Pytone
Raggle

All good stuff!

LaRoza
September 6th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I often use Python as CLI calculator..

dc is good for that too, although I use Python also. (dc is rpn, nice if you know the syntax, confusing otherwise)

FuturePilot
September 6th, 2007, 03:59 PM
mpg123
Play mp3 files out of the terminal:lol:

Bungo Pony
September 6th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Miniterm - send and recieve files through the serial port

perce
September 7th, 2007, 01:35 PM
jed - a nice text editor
pine - email program
talk - to chat with people logged into the same server (it used to work between different servers in the good old days, before the mass internet made security a big issue)
pppoeconf - configure ADSL connections
apt-get - everybody here should know what it is

ubuntukerala1980
September 7th, 2007, 02:10 PM
oowriter, ooimpress, ooffice - office

evince, gv - pdf

latex, pdflatex - tex files

mplayer, vlc, xine - music, films

octave - math

firefox, opera -webbrowser

gaim, ayttm - chat

regomodo
September 7th, 2007, 02:17 PM
i only use a few

htop
alsamixer
and link2 every now and then

fuscia
September 9th, 2007, 07:37 AM
occasionally, i get in a 'console' kind of mood (for the novelty). it was a long time before i realized i could do everything i would ever want, using mplayer. i use it mostly for internet radio stations. i can also use streamripper in the console, as well then. i go between using elinks and links2 for a browser. elinks is easier to check my gmail with, but sometimes it's hard to look at.

i tried ninvaders. it's fun. i'd also never tried mc before this thread. that looks like i could like it a lot.

Billy_McBong
September 9th, 2007, 08:46 AM
i love command line programs
i wish i could try some of these programs now but it is already 3:45 and i should be getting to bed, ill just bookmark this thread

Havoc
September 9th, 2007, 10:42 AM
wavemon - Wireless connection monitor.

nanodc - DC++ for the console :)

jed - a very good, programmer-oriented text editor. Someone said it, I'm repeating it. :)

I also use snownews for RSS, I think it's really good, and doesn't have many dependancies. finch for IM, abook for addresses, calcurse or Wyrd for calendar applications...

nanotube
September 9th, 2007, 01:58 PM
i go between using elinks and links2 for a browser. elinks is easier to check my gmail with, but sometimes it's hard to look at.

elinks can be customized to use 256 colors - i did that, and it looks great. :)

K.Mandla
September 9th, 2007, 02:04 PM
mc, nano, rtorrent, cplay, mplayer against the framebuffer is great for movies, elinks, htop, twin, cmatrix, alsamixer, aptitude ... there are too many to count. ;)

proalan
September 18th, 2007, 05:34 PM
cmus: Music player
finch: text based pidgin
Sadly those are the only two I know of.
Of course I know of the text editors, but I was wondering if anyone else had some handy Command Line programs?

tried out cmus this morning. I dig it, really smart

plb
September 18th, 2007, 05:58 PM
The cli IRC with a rude name bitchX

People still use that? I remember the big revolt years ago when bitchx dev put code in it to phone home and lost a lot of users. Anyway my top picks and what I use daily...

irssi
htop
rtorrent
mutt
links2
moc
newsbeuter (nice fairly new rss news reader...try it)

plb
September 18th, 2007, 06:04 PM
occasionally, i get in a 'console' kind of mood (for the novelty). it was a long time before i realized i could do everything i would ever want, using mplayer. i use it mostly for internet radio stations. i can also use streamripper in the console, as well then. i go between using elinks and links2 for a browser. elinks is easier to check my gmail with, but sometimes it's hard to look at

That is why you configure mutt to fetch your gmail :) check my blog for a howto on how to achieve it...it's actually fairly simple

andrew.46
September 21st, 2007, 12:47 PM
Hi,

Read your great guide to using mutt and gmail:

That is why you configure mutt to fetch your gmail :) check my blog for a howto on how to achieve it...it's actually fairly simple

With regards the gmail certificate I suspect that this will actually be installed with the repository openssl package and should be living in /etc/ssl/certs (Thawte_Premium_Server_CA.pem).

I used a similar but different approach to my own mutt vs gmail page:

http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/mutt.html

Andrew

blithen
September 30th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Nethack rocks. Not the console version. That's just to confusing @__@
However the nethack-gnome version is great fun.
Anymore console games?
I know of ninvaders
That's a clone of the classic game 'Invaders'

C.A.T.S. CEO
September 30th, 2007, 01:38 AM
irssi
ssh
htop
aptitude
apt-get
apt-cache
zsh
aptsh
wget
sysupdate (a little shell script I wrote)
rtorrent
and other various coreutils