PDA

View Full Version : AMD going open source

Sef
September 6th, 2007, 04:15 AM
If this blog (http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=302) has it right, AMD going open source.

blithen
September 6th, 2007, 04:24 AM
HOLY CRAP!!!
AMD is better then I thought.
I mean I love their processors, but now open source, how great is that!
Thanks for the info!:guitar:

Polygon
September 6th, 2007, 04:36 AM
people used to say stay clear of ati, their drivers suck

if all of this is true, my how the tables have turned.

Red_Dog
September 6th, 2007, 04:37 AM
If this turns out to produce something useful rather than a lot of pointless talk, then my next card will be an ATI. :)

FuturePilot
September 6th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Hopefully this will make Nvidia respond and open source their drivers. If this is true, then it won't be a must for my next computer to have a Nvidia card.

~LoKe
September 6th, 2007, 04:39 AM
A forced hand. It's unfortunate it took all of this for it to happen.

starcraft.man
September 6th, 2007, 04:47 AM
I am sceptical (as always...). Even if it's true, I'm waiting for ATI to deliver top notch hardware to match drivers, which so far from what I seen of the 2900 it has not been. I will see how things play out I suppose.

Oh and hasn't this already been posted before at least 2 or 3 times today? Shouldn't folks be using that instant title search feature?

Darkhack
September 6th, 2007, 04:52 AM
A forced hand. It's unfortunate it took all of this for it to happen.

No kidding. Especially since they are the ones who benefit. There is absolutely nothing in a driver that would somehow reveal the "inner workings" of a graphics card that would be of any use to the competition. This is the fear that some manufacturers have and it is simply unfounded. Jesus tapdancing Christ, they wouldn't even have to spend a single dime on Linux development if they didn't want to. This excuse of "the cost of developing a Linux driver is not worth the invest" is absolutely pathetic when they have a legion of nerds just begging to write it for them if they were to provide the specs.

DjBones
September 6th, 2007, 04:59 AM
i wouldn't mind being able to use my ATI card for once lol
hopefully it won't take long for this to follow through..

Polygon
September 6th, 2007, 05:03 AM
No kidding. Especially since they are the ones who benefit. There is absolutely nothing in a driver that would somehow reveal the "inner workings" of a graphics card that would be of any use to the competition. This is the fear that some manufacturers have and it is simply unfounded. Jesus tapdancing Christ, they wouldn't even have to spend a single dime on Linux development if they didn't want to. This excuse of "the cost of developing a Linux driver is not worth the invest" is absolutely pathetic when they have a legion of nerds just begging to write it for them if they were to provide the specs.

lol that made me laugh, and its funny just because its true.

~LoKe
September 6th, 2007, 05:08 AM

Technically it makes sense from their point of view. Demand has never been higher, it ensures success.

LowSky
September 6th, 2007, 05:11 AM
AMD has supported linux for a very long time, its good that they are extending that to the ATI side of the company

maybe that means openGL will become popular with developers too...lets wait and see

blackhowling
September 6th, 2007, 05:20 AM
about time guess I might go back to ATI

yatt
September 6th, 2007, 05:22 AM
I'll be happy (so very very happy) if there is news about this that isn't just an announcement.

the.dark.lord
September 9th, 2007, 12:46 PM
This is amazing news!!!!! :)