PDA

View Full Version : Diet and Exercise???

duganator
September 5th, 2007, 08:05 AM
If anyone has any exercise or diet related questions feel free to ask them here to me...

Alfred Jones
September 10th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Hi, since i was sitting and working in front of the system for long time, i felt my neck is paining very badly.. and also having some body pain. so i would like to do some simple exercise in short time to heal my neck and body pain.. kindly suggest me some good and simple excercise to relax myself in my free time...

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 07:55 AM
If anyone has any exercise or diet related questions feel free to ask them here to me...

Mind if I ask about your credentials as a dietitian ? :)

[Alsharifi]
September 10th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Hi, since i was sitting and working in front of the system for long time, i felt my neck is paining very badly.. and also having some body pain. so i would like to do some simple exercise in short time to heal my neck and body pain.. kindly suggest me some good and simple excercise to relax myself in my free time...

is the top of your comp screen above your eye level?

curuxz
September 10th, 2007, 09:18 AM
I cycle 80 miles a week, eat well and dont drink that much.

Why am I still a fatty?

lisati
September 10th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I prefer exercise when combined with something useful e.g. walking to the shop for the weekly groceries

Circus-Killer
September 10th, 2007, 09:32 AM
i prefer to see exercise and diets as taboo.

bikeboy
September 10th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I cycle 80 miles a week, eat well and dont drink that much.

Why am I still a fatty?

The bottom line is Energy In - Energy Out = Increase/Decrease/Maintain

The first thing to do is write down everything you eat over a typical few days, then enter it into an food energy calculator such as www.calorieking.com
Also, use a detailed energy expenditure calculator such as http://nat.crgq.com/energy/daily.html to work out your average energy use.

Work out whether which side of the equation you sit and you'll be a long way to knowing what you need to change.

I believe calorieking gives an indication of the percentage of energy in each food that comes from carbohydrate, fat and protein. This is a very useful measure and is preferable to just the grams of each (eg. 10g of fat, or even 10% fat etc). Aim to get about 55-60% of your energy from carbs, 20-30% from protein and 20-30% from fats. Poly and monounstaruated fats (such as those in vegetable oils and nuts) are far better than saturated or trans fats.

One more thing I would like to add. For anyone wanting to lose weight, try to avoid getting into the dieting mindset, losing weight should be a lifestyle modification, not a case of dieting to a certain point then stopping. This will only lead to the fluctuations of weight you see in so many people, not to mention a reduced health benefit compared to what you could be getting. Don't treat exercise like a punishment, or a way to burn off that Mars bar. Likewise, don't cut out all the 'bad' things you enjoy, that's not sustainable. The old saying "everything in moderation" still holds true, it's a matter of getting the balance right for your body.

Hope that gives you a start to build from.

sunexplodes
September 10th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I prefer exercise when combined with something useful e.g. walking to the shop for the weekly groceries

This is how I roll, too. Walking or biking to work, or to the store.. being productive and getting exersize at the same time. Then when I get to the store, I buy good, healthy, tasty stuff, and cook it myself. And then I eat the leftovers for lunch the next day.

Being healthy is pretty easy if you're conscious of it.

Kosimo
September 10th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I've got some belly....
I used to be very slim, and when young I played basketball and did exercise quite often. But since the age of 18 I never did anything., now I'm 25...
So, I'm trying to leave this fat I got in my belly (I don't know if this expression is right in english. It is?) Anyway I really can't leave it!! I'm doing some exercise, a small diet... But is still there and I guess forever...

Any idea?

curuxz
September 10th, 2007, 11:00 AM
The bottom line is Energy In - Energy Out = Increase/Decrease/Maintain

The first thing to do is write down everything you eat over a typical few days, then enter it into an food energy calculator such as www.calorieking.com
Also, use a detailed energy expenditure calculator such as http://nat.crgq.com/energy/daily.html to work out your average energy use.

Work out whether which side of the equation you sit and you'll be a long way to knowing what you need to change.

I believe calorieking gives an indication of the percentage of energy in each food that comes from carbohydrate, fat and protein. This is a very useful measure and is preferable to just the grams of each (eg. 10g of fat, or even 10% fat etc). Aim to get about 55-60% of your energy from carbs, 20-30% from protein and 20-30% from fats. Poly and monounstaruated fats (such as those in vegetable oils and nuts) are far better than saturated or trans fats.

One more thing I would like to add. For anyone wanting to lose weight, try to avoid getting into the dieting mindset, losing weight should be a lifestyle modification, not a case of dieting to a certain point then stopping. This will only lead to the fluctuations of weight you see in so many people, not to mention a reduced health benefit compared to what you could be getting. Don't treat exercise like a punishment, or a way to burn off that Mars bar. Likewise, don't cut out all the 'bad' things you enjoy, that's not sustainable. The old saying "everything in moderation" still holds true, it's a matter of getting the balance right for your body.

Hope that gives you a start to build from.

I feel really guilty now, because I thought it was obvious from my use of the word fatty that I was joking :(..... I do cycle that much, and im far from fat :)

Though really good advice! :)

PS: sorry :popcorn:

Hairy_Palms
September 10th, 2007, 11:11 AM
when i was losing weight, i did the nerdly thing and wrote diet tracking software for linux, far from professional standard but ill post it if anyone wants it.

the main thing i cant stress enough is weights help weight loss just as much as cardio, as long as your eating at a defecit, then weights will burn fat without the muscle loss associated with a lot of cardio.

bikeboy
September 10th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I feel really guilty now, because I thought it was obvious from my use of the word fatty that I was joking :(..... I do cycle that much, and im far from fat :)

Though really good advice! :)

PS: sorry :popcorn:

Oh well, doesn't worry me. Happy to give out the advice.

the main thing i cant stress enough is weights help weight loss just as much as cardio, as long as your eating at a defecit, then weights will burn fat without the muscle loss associated with a lot of cardio.

That's a good point too, one I was considering adding to my first post. To lose weight you need an energy deficit, this makes it hard to maintain lean mass, which is needed for everyday activities. Including resistance training spares lean mass. The other benefit is that resistance training doesn't just use energy during the session, it increases your resting energy expenditure, meaning it's easier to get to your required balance of energy in vs energy out. On a related point, higher intensity aerobic exercise also has effects that outlast the session itself, due to EPOC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_post-exercise_oxygen_consumption).