PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo! At last!

xmastree
August 4th, 2005, 02:37 PM
I'm finally online at home, with my ubuntu box.

Now I can try all this apt-get stuff I keep reading about.

It's actually pretty good, isn't it? Being able to fill in the blanks whch aren't there on the CD, such as MP3 support.

:)

So, once the tech had installed it and set it up, I rebooted into Linux just to make sure all was well (DHCP, so it ought to be) and it was. The tech was slightly interested, having heard of linux but didn't have any experience of it.

So, I showed her some of the neat things it can do, and gave her a couple of sets of CDs (4.10) to play with.

Hope she gives it a go.

amrust
August 4th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Good job!

Also good on the evangelizing Ubuntu, passing off the CD's. Nice thinking there. :)

Glad to see another person having as much fun as I am, using Ubuntu.

xmastree
August 4th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Glad to see another person having as much fun as I am, using Ubuntu.The question is, will I get any sleep tonight. Got a new toy to play with now... :grin:

Brunellus
August 4th, 2005, 03:19 PM
The question is, will I get any sleep tonight. Got a new toy to play with now... :grin:
What's the outlook for free software in the Philippines?

I ask, because piracy is such an accepted fact over there. Last time I was there, the going rate for pirated software in Manila was around P100 (that's about US$ 2.00) per CD.

xmastree
August 4th, 2005, 03:28 PM
What's the outlook for free software in the Philippines?It's still around. Here in Davao they had a clamp-down. Busted some shops selling PCs with pirated Windows on them.
But last time I was in Ilo Ilo it was freely on sale in the malls.
Photoshop 7 for a dollar...

BTW, if you're quick...
look here (http://www.xmastree.34sp.com/webcam/backup.html)
That handsome dude in the first two pictures, that's me...

But you need to look before 9am Phil time (1 am GMT, Aug 5th.)

Brunellus
August 4th, 2005, 03:42 PM
It's still around. Here in Davao they had a clamp-down. Busted some shops selling PCs with pirated Windows on them.
But last time I was in Ilo Ilo it was freely on sale in the malls.
Photoshop 7 for a dollar...

BTW, if you're quick...
look here (http://www.xmastree.34sp.com/webcam/backup.html)
That handsome dude in the first two pictures, that's me...

But you need to look before 9am Phil time (1 am GMT, Aug 5th.)
Didn't think they'd be clamping down so hard out in the provinces. In Manila, things are still pretty freewheeling. You can get almost anything you want (and a lot of things you didn't think you did) in Greenhills...

My question is, though: what do you think the prospects are for wider FOSS adoption, absent active government intervention (like Lula in Brasil)

sapo
August 5th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Nice.. The truth is:

Ubutu is nothing without internet.. or maybe.. linux is nothing without internet.. or who know.. a computer is nothing without internet.. i cant find anything to do without internet.... ](*,)

xmastree
August 5th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Nice.. The truth is:Heh, I thought you were going all Yoda on me there...

Ubutu is nothing without internetA challenge it is!

sapo
August 5th, 2005, 01:42 AM
Heh, I thought you were going all Yoda on me there...

A challenge it is!

hum.. for me i will just site, look at him and ask "what the hell do i do with you?"

And i m sure that i m not going to find de answer... everything that i use depends on internet... and everything that i have was downloaded from the internet... :grin: