PDA

View Full Version : Any new Linux User Groups starting in Michigan?

em007a
September 5th, 2007, 12:34 AM
I know of a couple user groups for Linux in Michigan, but I was wondering if anyone had any information on new groups trying to form.

MUG is close enough for me, but of all days they meet it happens to be on Tuesdays. I have a standing commitment on Tuesdays. <-- figures. Did I mention my last name was Murphy? If anything can go wrong, it probably will. :)

Looking in the area of Oakland/Macomb county. Thanks.

wolfger
September 5th, 2007, 01:27 AM
The only *new* group I know of is the Michigan LoCo. MUG, MDLUG, WLUG, GLLUG(?) are all older groups. I'm not sure what the need is for a new group when we've got so many already.

em007a
September 5th, 2007, 03:43 AM
I'm not sure what the need is for a new group when we've got so many already.

The only group I know close enough to me is MUG and they hold their meetings on a day that doesn't fit my work schedule. So if anybody knows of another group the question is still open. :)

Vanye111
September 24th, 2007, 03:32 PM
The only *new* group I know of is the Michigan LoCo. MUG, MDLUG, WLUG, GLLUG(?) are all older groups. I'm not sure what the need is for a new group when we've got so many already.

The only ones I can find are in the greater Detriot area. I'm in Bay City, about 2 hrs north of Detroit. Meetings there are a little out of the way for me, so I can tell you that something closer to me would be handy indeed...

tjagoda
October 7th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Hello! I also live in the Macomb/Oakland area, and I'm also disappointed by the lack of nearby LUGs.

I've got commitments on every tuesday and thursday (I go to college two days a week, I'm a systems and network administrator for the other three), and MUG would also be the closest for me.

I would be interested in forming a Macomb/Oakland area LUG. With work and college, I doubt I could handle the mass of logistics and such on my own, though. I'm also far from being a Linux veteran still, although I'm far enough along to no longer consider myself a newbie, I think.

gbjazzman
October 8th, 2007, 02:16 PM
I would love to get a LUG started in the Flint area. A buddy of mine and I were talking about it at one point, but we never got the ball rolling.

tjagoda
October 8th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Isnt there already a LUG in the Flint area?

deuce868
October 9th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Heh, I just moved from Flint after being there for 7 years. There's nothing that I know of. I drove down to AA for python groups and then to the MUG meetings for my linux fix. Don't tell me *now* that there's been stuff in Flint all along.

How many of you guys could do Ann Arbor on a monthly basis? There are a ton of groups going on there right now:
Python
Ruby
.NET
AACS
Java
etc...

I've thought about trying to setup more Ubuntu LoCo events there if there was interest.

tjagoda
October 9th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Ann Arbor is about 80 miles away from me. I would prefer a place like Troy if you're going for that region.

I'm still adamant about getting a LUG in the Oakland/Macomb county area.

deuce868
October 9th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Yea, the trouble is the MUG is the best lug in the area. I know I'd rather go there than anywhere else at this point. I'm in oakland county as well so it's a 30min trip, but worth it every month.

tjagoda
October 9th, 2007, 03:13 PM
We could always make another group in the area.

gbjazzman
October 10th, 2007, 12:01 AM
We could, but I've always wondered if there was that kind of demand for a Lug in the Genesee/Oakland county area

tjagoda
October 10th, 2007, 12:11 AM
We could find local mailing lists and pose that very question.

rustybronco
October 10th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Ann Arbor is about 80 miles away from me. I would prefer a place like Troy if you're going for that region.

I'm still adamant about getting a LUG in the Oakland/Macomb county area.Makes two of us, I drive through richmond everyday to and from work.

tjagoda
October 11th, 2007, 09:24 PM
There's a 3/4 chance that I've driven past or behind you at some point, then. =P

Medieval_Creations
October 13th, 2007, 05:25 PM

I'm still adamant about getting a LUG in the Oakland/Macomb county area.

I agree. Troy would be ideal for me, but something on Oakland/Macomb would be great.

gbjazzman
October 14th, 2007, 06:53 AM
I'm in the southern end of Genesee county so Troy would also work for me.

rustybronco
October 14th, 2007, 02:25 PM
There's a 3/4 chance that I've driven past or behind you at some point, then. =P Yes, blue suzuki gs850g ring a bell?

hursto75
October 18th, 2007, 03:02 AM
All of the Lugs are to far away for me, I am in North Oakland County. Let's get one going closer. Troy would be great for me I work in sterling heights and troy is on my way home.

tjagoda
October 25th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Yes, blue suzuki gs850g ring a bell?

Not off hand. If you ever see a silver 2008 Dodge Avenger SXT, thats me.

All of the Lugs are to far away for me, I am in North Oakland County. Let's get one going closer. Troy would be great for me I work in sterling heights and troy is on my way home.

I work in Sterling Heights on occasion as well.

Is anybody in disagreement that Troy seems to be a fairly good location?

em007a
October 26th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Troy is actually a good location for me.

Now, just to throw something out there... Wednesday evenings would be ideal for me.

Medieval_Creations
October 26th, 2007, 03:38 PM
+1 for Tory.
I work in Troy.

tjagoda
November 4th, 2007, 11:30 PM
We all seem to be unanimous in our praise for Troy so far, so I venture to propose that as our prospective base of meetings.

Is anybody opposed to this? Here's a link to a poll, just so there's something more concrete.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=602943

Vote! Vote in the poll! And then we shall go from there pending the results.

anuban
March 26th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Any Group in Plymouth/Canton/Farmington area.

deuce868
March 26th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Any Group in Plymouth/Canton/Farmington area.

http://www.mug.org/twiki/bin/view/Mugwiki/WebHome

Famington Hills Library. Been going on a long time.

anuban
April 22nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Anyone interested in starting a User Group in Plymouth area.
Or is there already one? Please point me to it.

How the activities are coordinated with LoCo teams, I am not able to understand.
Please help.
Thanks,

deuce868
April 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Anyone interested in starting a User Group in Plymouth area.
Or is there already one? Please point me to it.

How the activities are coordinated with LoCo teams, I am not able to understand.
Please help.
Thanks,

For a LUG near plymouth check out MUG at http://www.mug.org. I'm biased since I'm on the board, but it's the best LUG around. :)

As for the LoCo activities. There are mainly a couple of places. Check out the wiki here:
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/MichiganTeam

We tend to use the mailing list and irc for communication for the most part. There's also a Google calendar there you can subscribe to for events. We're meeting in Ann Arbor this Saturday for a Hardy release party. Hope to see you there.

guitronics
December 24th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I would love to get a LUG started in the Flint area. A buddy of mine and I were talking about it at one point, but we never got the ball rolling.
Hi:
I'm totally new to Linux,but I'm interested in a Flint or Flint area group.

Even just by email, would be a big help to me.

I work nights,but think I may be going on a 4 - day a week schedule soon...I have been on 5 days.

You can contact me at >>guitronics7 gmail.com<< "Put the @ in, please".

Thanks

mrbridgers
January 21st, 2009, 12:44 AM
In Livingston County/ Oakland area, live in one work in the other. Maybe we should start our own eh? Going into military soon but would love to be at a meeting or two before I go.

naf81
January 27th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Been using Linux since around '99, but haven't actively participated in any user groups. We had one at my university, but it was new and just starting to get into full swing when I was ready to graduate. Since leaving college, I've been getting the urge to hang out with fellow geeks on a regular basis. I vote for an Oakland/Macomb county group if people want to start one, Troy works out great for me.

If not, can anyone give me their impressions of the MUG and MDLUG groups? Haven't been to either one, but was just wondering what these groups are like, age demographics, etc?

Being 21+, I wouldn't mind having some meetings at one of the local drinking holes for a change since many bars now offer free wifi - Linux and beer go great together \\:D/

TheFaramir
January 27th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Hmmm, I may be interested in a group in Troy as well, as I live in Royal Oak.

Indifferent
March 16th, 2009, 05:03 AM
in livingston county/ oakland area, live in one work in the other. Maybe we should start our own eh? Going into military soon but would love to be at a meeting or two before i go.

+1

IamTheFreeKing
March 31st, 2009, 04:29 AM
So when are we going to start the Troy LUG!? :P
What days are good for you guys?

mozillar
April 26th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Is there an active Linux group in Michigan yet?

wolfger
April 26th, 2009, 05:09 PM
There are plenty. Where are you looking for one at?

mozillar
April 26th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Curious if any groups near Royal Oak?

wolfger
April 26th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Depends on your definition of "near".
MDLUG meets in Inkster, which is about a 30 minute drive.
MUG is in Farmington Hills, about a 20 minute drive.
There's a group that meets at Wayne State (WSLUG, I believe).

IamTheFreeKing
April 30th, 2009, 08:00 AM
What is the closest lug to Rochester, MI?

penguinchrissy
June 5th, 2009, 08:20 AM
If there is anything within 30mins for Flint or East Lansing (I'm in college so I kinda live both places) I would be interested.

Groucho Marxist
June 5th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I'm currently saving up for my first Linux laptop (God bless System 76 :D ), and I'm planning on starting a Michigan group for students of Central Michigan University and the surrounding area.

sistarbliss
June 15th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I'm currently saving up for my first Linux laptop (God bless System 76 :D ), and I'm planning on starting a Michigan group for students of Central Michigan University and the surrounding area.

http://i39.tinypic.com/axcled.jpg

I'm in Mecosta...definitely looking to find linux users in the area. I have a few older PCs around here and was looking to install some lightweght distros on them and have a free PC giveaway day at some point, lol! One of them is running xubuntu very nicely.

If you are looking for a place to have a LUG, i'm about 20 min from Big Rapids and 20 min from Mt. Pleasant. Kinda right smack dab in the middle if you need a spot to host. ;) lol.

jasonsmr
July 29th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Im interessanted in starting a new Ubuntu user group in upper to mid Western michigan near Grand Rapids, or Traverse City, Furthermore, Im in Big Rapid Town Its the Ferris Collageiate.

My Goals are: To locate the collage town affiliates in the professional immedeate area. That means any Ferris Staff and Business owners lets meet sometime, on the forums or IRC chat. Also Theres this ting called Big bees and a local hang out, Im always up for a CUPP3. Im glad to help you out of a ditch if I cant help with Ubuntu, so what you have, and what you have to loose ;) well Im trying not to bee too needy or aquward, howevr just looking for new group to start and am willing to go a mile or two. :D

Hope this is well recived.

My contact info's

Jason Rupright
jasonsmr@hotmail
3jaysn@gmail.com
231-796-0604

jasonsmr
August 2nd, 2009, 12:49 AM
I was still looking for a connection to other linux users in Michigan even out of the normal 2 hour driving distance??

~anyone?

sistarbliss
August 2nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
I was still looking for a connection to other linux users in Michigan even out of the normal 2 hour driving distance??

~anyone?

I'm in between Big Rapids & Mt. Pleasant.

Have you been to that gaming center in BR? I am wondering if that could be a potential meeting place.

Groucho Marxist
August 26th, 2009, 11:57 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/axcled.jpg

I'm in Mecosta...definitely looking to find linux users in the area. I have a few older PCs around here and was looking to install some lightweght distros on them and have a free PC giveaway day at some point, lol! One of them is running xubuntu very nicely.

If you are looking for a place to have a LUG, i'm about 20 min from Big Rapids and 20 min from Mt. Pleasant. Kinda right smack dab in the middle if you need a spot to host. ;) lol.

Update: On Monday, I ordered my System76 laptop and I'm currently in the process of organizing a CMU-based registered student organization if any other students are interested :)

sistarbliss
August 27th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I'm not a CMU student, but am very interested. Keep me posted. Also, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

gibbyn
October 24th, 2009, 10:35 AM
A new Linux user group is starting in Michigan. Well actually an existing IBM PC group now holds Linux meetings:

SIG-LINUX

Topic: OPEN DISCUSSION: The LINUX SIG will hold its usual open discussion on a wide range of Linux computer issues.

Where: Oak Park Library, 14200 Oak Park Blvd., Oak Park, Michigan 48232-2084. Oak Park Blvd. is 9.5 mile road and the library is west of Coolidge. Ask at the library about the room assignment. Click here for directions

When: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at 6:45 P.M.

See this information on the web page:
http://www.semco.org/
Click on "Meeting Info" along the left column.

osmorphyus
November 25th, 2009, 10:16 PM
we used to have COMP here in St. Clair County (commodore/computer operators of marysville & port huron) but that hasn't met in years. i was wondering if anyone knows of any groups in st. clair county or the metro county areas? (wayne, macomb)

Jaesin
December 31st, 2009, 05:49 PM
I too would like to attend a LUG in Livingston county

TheChaos92
June 5th, 2011, 12:16 AM
I'm looking for a linux or unix group around Saginaw. Delta college or SVSU would be optimal locations, anyone know if a group exits there, or somewhere within about 20 minutes of either of them

brousch
June 6th, 2011, 12:25 AM
You're likely to get more responses if you post your question to the Ubuntu Michigan mailing list. https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-mi

TheChaos92
June 6th, 2011, 12:33 AM
I see, thank you.

slavinzing56
August 8th, 2011, 03:33 PM
+1 for Tory.
I work in Troy.
:popcorn:

Werafiki
February 15th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Hello! I also live in the Macomb/Oakland area, and I'm also disappointed by the lack of nearby LUGs.

I've got commitments on every tuesday and thursday (I go to college two days a week, I'm a systems and network administrator for the other three), and MUG would also be the closest for me.

I would be interested in forming a Macomb/Oakland area LUG. With work and college, I doubt I could handle the mass of logistics and such on my own, though. I'm also far from being a Linux veteran still, although I'm far enough along to no longer consider myself a newbie, I think.

-------
I agree, if there are enough people in Macomb/Oakland area we can do something, it's a little bit of a drive for me too, but feel like we can do something closer......

spunkybd
January 25th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Any in the GR area?

Read through the whole thread and didn't see anyone mention it.

brousch
January 26th, 2013, 02:59 AM
Grand Rapids has a large open source community. The Grand Rapids Linux Users Group (http://www.grlug.org/) meets every Wednesday from 8PM-10PM, usually at The Warehouse in Jenison (a member's very large, heated garage). These meetings are typically social events in coordination with the GRMakers group. The West Michigan Linux Users Group (http://wmlug.org/) meets on the last Thursday of each month at New Horizons Learning Center in Cascade. These meetings have formal presentations on Linuxy topics.

There are also groups for every other conceivable technical or programming topic. I maintain a list of them at http://conga-wm.org/group-list/

SeventhGear
May 31st, 2013, 07:44 PM
Any groups in the Detroit area? I work in Troy and live in Chesterfield, so North East Detroit groups would be better for me.