PDA

View Full Version : I need help writing a legal disclaimer (Terms of Usage Agreement)

diablo75
September 4th, 2007, 11:37 PM
A friend of mine who is a programmer recently developed a piece of software that I intend to use to conduct one-click remote assistance sessions with people on the Internet. It uses the reverse-connection method with VNC to do this, as well as has a Skype button built into it that people can use to call me with, as well as a "send text" button that people can use to IM my cell phone.

I need something that people will have to Agree to, Terms of Usage or something, that people will have to agree to before they're allowed to download the software. It has to have something in there that says, "If your computer screws up beyond the level of damage done to it thusfar, (diablo75) cannot be found liable." Except....you know...I need that written in big legal words.

Are there any other terms you guys can think I should make sure are included in this terms of usage agreement?

Steveway
September 4th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Something like:
"The author of this product is in no way responsible if the product makes any damage to your Computer, if it doesn't work as intended or if it eats your dog."
Be creative man and is that software open-source, can we get more information?

Anthem
September 4th, 2007, 11:46 PM
www.reasonableagreement.org

diablo75
September 5th, 2007, 12:07 AM
At this time, unfortunately, the software is not open source. It's a little out of my control at the moment. (My boss at work is a programmer, and did this program for me just for fun. We're doing the final touches on it. And it's written for Windows; I think he used visual basic...)

Anyway, it's nothing more than a little launcher that sends commands to either Skype (Via a hidden web browser; it's all we could figure out), and WinVNC -connect (my dyndns hostname). That's about it...so it's really nothing fancy to us Linux users, because we have VNC built into our machines. Windows users have this stupid Remote Assistance Invitation creator that everybody just HATES. I wanted to make remote assistance into something as simple as making toast. Why all the extra trouble? Seriously? Why, I asked. :)

junke1990
February 2nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
Does anyone know how if i can just type in the setup of my program some like I'm not responsible and then I can't get sewed. or can I just copy paste GPL in my setup?

I wrote a program in Delphi 6 with database and everything on it, it uses DBE is this a legal problem?