PDA

View Full Version : Flashing adverts :POLL:

Zyphrexi
September 4th, 2007, 05:37 PM
We've all seen it, advertisements designed to catch the eye by flashing with contrasting colors. The problem with this is, what if an individual had a unique sensitivity to this kind of flashing, game makers warn people so that unsuspecting players don't have an epileptic seizure.

Considering the danger of someone with epilepsy could find themselves in, if without warning they stumbled upon such an advert, should such advertisements be allowed if there is a possible risk to an individual?

(I believe so, however I'd like to get the community's opinion on this)

Henry Rayker
September 4th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I imagine that most people with epilepsy are either incredibly careful or take some sort of precautions to prevent this. It wouldn't be just advertisers who could be affected by this, either. Forums that allow animated avatars, individual content on webpages owned by individuals, etc. It should be noted that only about 50million people, world wide, are affected by epilepsy...This kind of censoring, though, is just another "hot coffee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants)" case, in my mind...it should be common sense, on the user's part, that he/she might encounter this situation.

Anteaus
September 4th, 2007, 06:01 PM
IME the more experienced surfers will have some kind of blocker (privoxy, proxomitron or a Firefox extension) and will probably not even notice them, in fact the flashing ad may be less likely to get exposure because it will trigger the blocker, whereas a non-flashing one might be seen.

The less-experienced users are driven away from sites by flashing ads, and in general I reckon they cause the site to lose business rather than gaining it. Would you work under a flickering fluorescent, or would you switch desk? Same thing really, and just as annoying.

Zyphrexi
September 4th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I found myself on a math site, and was subject to such flashing. I'm not epileptic, but the effect it had on me was pretty bad. Also not every ad is blocked apparently, and you don't always know, especially if you are doing research or are required to use a website for school/research.

Censorship? what's wrong with an alteration of advertisement. It's all about what an ad's intent is, and the design of intent to grab attention and the way it is supposed to grab attention can be dangerous to others. There is nothing wrong with advertisement, but having flashing, alternating colors is just bad all around.

It doesn't make me want to click on it, it makes me want to find these people and beat them in the head with a bat, because that's the effect such advertisements have on me, and that's just damn insensitive.

PriceChild
September 4th, 2007, 06:25 PM
In my opinion this is a decision that the owner of webspace has to make a decision on. - You can't just ban all flashing things on the internet!

Henry Rayker
September 4th, 2007, 06:34 PM
If you are going to block flashing ads, you will have to block ALL flashing things on the internet...which would probably involve at least 4/5ths of myspace, and loads of tripod/angelfire sites too. This comes down to the page owner's choice and stripping them of that choice is censorship.

If you only block the ads, but not the other flashing gizmos, congratulations, you've accomplished nothing!

As far as not all ads being blocked, it doesn't take much effort to, I don't know....add the ads yourself? I probably add 5 new ads a day, actually. It's not hard and it saves on load times, as well as general annoyances.

forrestcupp
September 4th, 2007, 07:02 PM
It doesn't make me want to click on it, it makes me want to find these people and beat them in the head with a bat, because that's the effect such advertisements have on me, and that's just damn insensitive.
Let's beat 'em on the head with a bat!

If you are going to block flashing ads, you will have to block ALL flashing things on the internet...which would probably involve at least 4/5ths of myspace, and loads of tripod/angelfire sites too.
Myspace, tripod, and angelfire are all worthless anyway.

About the original post. We'll just do what everyone else does. We'll wait until there is a law suit, then worry about it.

happy-and-lost
September 4th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Well, as discovered during the furore surrounding tha London 2012 logo (http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2007/06/05/2012_logo_epilepsy_feature.shtml), there's a way of testing things for patterns which can trigger epileptic fits called the Harding FPA machine test. If all these daft flashing ads aren't banned, they should all at least be tested in such a way.

Henry Rayker
September 4th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Let's beat 'em on the head with a bat!

Myspace, tripod, and angelfire are all worthless anyway.

About the original post. We'll just do what everyone else does. We'll wait until there is a law suit, then worry about it.

While I won't argue the fact that they're worthless or not, those sites have their rights, just like any other site does. Using a computer, in general, should be looked at as a hazard for people who suffer from epilepsy...given that, I don't see any reason why we should punish and censor everyone else so that an obvious minority can engage in an already risky activity.

monsieurdozier
September 4th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I do believe that the flashing adverts are annoying as hell, but my only problem with banning them is, how are they going to enforce it? Yeah maybe the big sites won't allow them, but most of the time I see them, they are on the no name sites I just happened to surf to.

Monsieur Dozier

forrestcupp
September 4th, 2007, 09:08 PM
While I won't argue the fact that they're worthless or not, those sites have their rights, just like any other site does. Using a computer, in general, should be looked at as a hazard for people who suffer from epilepsy...given that, I don't see any reason why we should punish and censor everyone else so that an obvious minority can engage in an already risky activity.

I agree with the heart of your point. But I don't know anyone who would consider it a punishment to not be able to see those flashing ads anymore.

Billy_McBong
September 4th, 2007, 09:20 PM
well i dont think they should be banned
they are the most annoying things ever but shouldn't be banned because the websites should be able to advertise anyway they want

also firefox and adblock can easily be used on any main OS if people dont want to see stupid ads like that

Zyphrexi
September 5th, 2007, 03:04 AM
I don't know, i'd still like to express my displeasure at the existence of such ads, in a physical and violent manner.

Smack em around a few times, they'll get the idea. Also, while you are smacking them around scream "CLICK HERE" right in their face at an accelerated rate repeatedly for extreme durations. If they didn't want to get hit, they'd just walk away. Then when they leave, appear 5 minutes later on another street.

yes i am odd... bite me.

Anthem
September 5th, 2007, 03:46 AM
I said yes, people have the right to make flashing adverts.

And the rest of us have the right to use AdBlock.