PDA

View Full Version : what user does the cron daemon run as

prospero527
September 4th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knows what user the cron daemon runs as when it executes scripts. I thought it might be the user whose crontab is being run but this doesn't seem to be the case. I don't see a cron user in /etc/passwd. My best guess is that it runs as the daemon user. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

nanotube
September 4th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knows what user the cron daemon runs as when it executes scripts. I thought it might be the user whose crontab is being run but this doesn't seem to be the case. I don't see a cron user in /etc/passwd. My best guess is that it runs as the daemon user. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

stuff from the user's crontab runs as the user. since you said that it doesn't seem to be the case, i checked - i created a cron job that sleeps for 60 secs, so i could look at the process in the process list. :)

here's the output:

$ ps alx |grep sleep
4 1000 23705 23704 22 0 1712 476 wait Ss ? 0:00 /bin/sh -c sleep 60
0 1000 23706 23705 23 0 2800 620 - S ? 0:00 sleep 60
0 1000 23751 23590 17 0 2884 748 - R+ pts/3 0:00 grep sleep

the sleep 60 process is running with UID 1000, which is my UID.

what led you to believe that it runs as some other user?

prospero527
September 4th, 2007, 07:26 PM
The thing that led me to believe it didn't is that i have a backup script that is owned by a user i created for the backup and the directory that it backs up files to has permissions rwxr--r-- and is owned by the backup user. I scheduled the script to run every night via its crontab. The logs show the script running but the backup file is not created. So I figured it was a permissions thing. I changed the permissions of the directory to be world writeable and sure enough the file got created. So I figured, Okay i'll change the actual script to be suid and since it is owned by the backup user i can reset the permissions back to 744 but i'm back to the same situation. the logs show the script running but no file is created.

So that's why I said it doesn't seem to be the case. I didn't even think about testing with a program that calls sleep(). Good idea. There must be something trivial that I am missing.

prospero527
September 4th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Here's my code in case it helps

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

my $now = localtime();
$now = join('-', split(/ /, $now));

# dump the database and bzip2 it
system("mysqldump --add-drop-table -u ***** -p***** SAOT | bzip2 -c > /var/backups/saot/saot_$now.sql.bk.bz2");

# open backup directory
opendir(DIR, '/var/backups/saot');

# get all the directory entries
my @files = readdir(DIR);

# go through each file to see if it is older than 30 days
# if it is then delete it
for my $file (@files) {
$file = '/var/backups/saot/' . $file;
if (-f $file && $file ne 'saotbackup.pl') {
my $time = (stat($file))[8]; # file mtime (time of last write) since epoch

# if file mtime is less than current time -30 days (2592000 seconds) remove file
if ($time < (time() - 2592000)) {
system("rm $file");
}
}
}

open(LOG, ">> /var/log/saot/saotbackup.log");
print LOG "backed up $now\n";
close LOG;

prospero527
September 4th, 2007, 09:50 PM
never mind i solved the problem :D

nanotube
September 4th, 2007, 11:50 PM
never mind i solved the problem :D

cool. :) care to share the solution for the benefit of future generations? :)

prospero527
September 5th, 2007, 12:52 AM
heh well really nothing surprising. I noticed there was already a user on the system called backup, I changed the ownership of the /var/backups/saot/directory to be owned by backup. The actual script is still setuid. But now it works like a charm with permissions of 744 on the directory. Maybe something was odd that I missed before cause I didn't really change anything except the file owner. And of course i edited backup's crontab. Probably just user error on my part from the beginning. Thanks for the reply.