PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu mentioned as method to avoid government snooping

PartisanEntity
September 4th, 2007, 09:56 AM
An article at The Register about an obscure idea by the German authorities to send malware-laden emails to terror suspects to snoop on their internet activities. Ubuntu was mentioned as one way to avoid the snooping.

Germany floats Trojan for terror suspects (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/03/german_trojan_plan/)

German politicians have defended plans to email Trojan horse software to terror suspects in the hopes of monitoring their conversations. The measures have sparked a fierce civil liberties debate. The dubious efficacy of the wheeze is yet to come under serious consideration.

Would-be terrorists need only use Ubuntu Linux to avoid the ploy. And even if they stuck with Windows their anti-virus software might detect the malware. Anti-virus firms that accede to law enforcement demands to turn a blind eye to state-sanctioned malware risk undermining trust in their software, as similar experience in the US has shown.

If this thread turns political I will move it to the BY.

mckryptyk
September 4th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I wonder why Ubuntu was selected for the article as opposed to just using the word linux.

I suppose, the reporter did a quick google on linux and Ubuntu popped up and they figured Ubuntu was the companies name. :)
Sort of how its called Microsoft Windows.

All this means is that Ubuntu is becoming more popular, but I wonder how many over-zealous, paranoid, anti-gov types are going to show up on the forums now :biggrin:

I looked for a tinfoil hat emoticon, but couldn't find one. :lolflag:

Cheers.