PDA

View Full Version : Don't use Walmart music service

AirJake
September 4th, 2007, 05:48 AM
I signed up for their service this evening and was able to download all the songs but one. After repeated tries I was sent to their customer service line and then their technical support line.
They told me they don't support Linux and they don't really support Firefox. They had barely knew about Linux, let alone Ubuntu.
Does anyone know a good music download service? Please help me out, I'm trying to do it legally.
Thanks in advance

Bachstelze
September 4th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Nothing to do with support, moved to the Cafe.

ticopelp
September 4th, 2007, 07:04 AM
eMusic. DRM-free MP3s at a flat fee with no BS.

I've used them for years and couldn't be happier. I don't listen to a lot of mainstream stuff, though, so it works out well for me.

blithen
September 4th, 2007, 07:26 AM
eMusic. DRM-free MP3s at a flat fee with no BS.

I've used them for years and couldn't be happier. I don't listen to a lot of mainstream stuff, though, so it works out well for me.

O.o you would think mainstream would be on there.

VraiChevalier
September 4th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Ditto's on the eMusic.

Check out Songbird.

Also check out Snocap.

nowshining
September 4th, 2007, 08:23 AM
heck out of all the pay to try out programs/sites only emusic paid up... :) 25 songs + 5 bucks...:) and emusic has very few mainstream music but a lot of old music in there that was once mainstream..

lisati
September 4th, 2007, 08:28 AM
www.eztracks.com - many of the songs are "cover" versions, they like you to use their download manager, and they often limit the number of downloads (there is a workaround) but it's a good price (free!)

forrestcupp
September 4th, 2007, 05:50 PM
OK, so what about a legal pay site that offers mainstream music?

dca
September 4th, 2007, 05:59 PM
OK, so what about a legal pay site that offers mainstream music?

Been waiting a while for something like that, ever since MS started that 'plays for sure' DRM crap and got the top three music publishers involved, then DROPPED the deal in favor of their own new brand of DRM it's been kind of hard to find one...

Anteaus
September 4th, 2007, 06:04 PM
http://magnatune.com is worth a look, not all artists are that good, but there are a few gems.

happy-and-lost
September 4th, 2007, 07:22 PM
eMusic does look good, it's just frustrating that you can't browse the library available before you sign up.

qpieus
September 5th, 2007, 02:05 AM
eMusic does look good, it's just frustrating that you can't browse the library available before you sign up.
You can. Go to www.emusic.com. Down at the bottom of the page, click on "eMusic Download Manager". On the page that comes up after you click, there is a Browse tab near the top. Browse away, my friend.

Palmyra
September 5th, 2007, 03:44 AM
You were able to download all songs but one? How did you download the first ones if they don't support Linux/Firefox? How did support end between the time you downloaded the first ones and the last attempt?

Seems something is wrong here.