PDA

View Full Version : What i observed about the Linux (esp. ubuntu community)

nowshining
September 4th, 2007, 01:03 AM
1. it's alright to bash microsoft but anyword about ubuntu/linux they start to attack you.
2. they claim how wonderful ubuntu is and linux, but never even think in their blindness that the way they are going at it is NO different than the earlier days when People did the same thing as when Microsoft got out there and did the operating system.
3. Linux users Can really REALLY be hateful when it comes to computers and ignoring the outside world and that many people have feelings.
4. Many linux users say that it isn't windows get used to it. Well same could be said about linux users who were to migrate to windows - just switch it around which is blindness.
5. Linux users bash you when you are a beginner and get upset easily and tell you to get away from them with a hiss in their mouth and heart.
6. Linux users will say how nice they are and kind but when it comes down to it are the most hateful bunch.
7. Linux users can be hateful 99.99 percent of the time.

*THIS THREAD WILL/MAY BE UPDATED TO ADD MORE.
* THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS AND THOSE ARE THAT VERY FEW LINUX/UBUNTU USERS ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE OBSERVATIONS ABOVE AND IF YOU ARE ONE, I CONGRATULATE YOU ON BEING NON OF THE ABOVE...

ryno519
September 4th, 2007, 01:04 AM
You seem a tad bitter.

Want to talk about it, kiddo?

Bachstelze
September 4th, 2007, 01:06 AM
The first few ones are definitely true, and more frequent than is generally thought...

But maybe I'm bitter ? Eh, after all, I've only used Linux for eight years ;)

Spike-X
September 4th, 2007, 01:07 AM
1. it's alright to bash microsoft but anyword about ubuntu/linux they start to attack you.

Some people here are like this. Others aren't.

3. Linux users Can really REALLY be hateful when it comes to computers and ignoring the outside world and that many people have feelings.

So can Windows users. Your point?

5. Linux users bash you when you are a beginner and get upset easily and tell you to get away from them with a hiss in their mouth and heart.
6. Linux users will say how nice they are and kind but when it comes down to it are the most hateful bunch.

Where the hell have you been hanging out? Certainly not here!

dizee
September 4th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Of course you get people like that, but I've not really seen it on here. Don't really agree that we bash Microsoft either, you get a few playful digs, and a lot of justified criticism, but not really "bashing".

juxtaposed
September 4th, 2007, 01:16 AM
You seem a tad bitter.

My observation also ;)

Bachstelze
September 4th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Of course you get people like that, but I've not really seen it on here."

The thread is not about here but the Linux community as a whole. And trust me, the number of Linux users that are hateful towards anything not Linux is bigger than you think. Myself, I've been insulted countless times by Linux users just for stating my different views about Free Software. By Windows users, or Solaris users, or Mac users, never.

Ozor Mox
September 4th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Well now there's some mass generalisations if ever I saw them...

teet
September 4th, 2007, 01:21 AM
your post probably isn't going to go over so well...

-teet

P.S. I would generally agree with 1. I get tired of all the anti-microsoft / anti-bill gates talk. I never had any problems with windows and I believe that Bill Gates is overall a pretty good guy (Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation).

FuturePilot
September 4th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Not completely true. I've seen some posts that were critical of Ubuntu. As long as you're not trying to flame bait and you're giving your honest thoughts I don't think anyone will attack you. Ubuntu isn't for everyone. Someone might prefer a build-it-yourself distro.

What? Linux users are some of the nicest people I've met.

4. Many linux users say that it isn't windows get used to it. Well same could be said about linux users who were to migrate to windows - just switch it around which is blindness.
True, but I'm not sure too many Linux users would want to do that.

I think you've repeated yourself 3 times. Again, what? I find the Ubuntu community to be the exact opposite.

aysiu
I'm very impressed with the maturity of the responses so far, given the flamebait in the first post.

buzzmandt
2. they claim how wonderful ubuntu is and linux, but never even think in their blindness that the way they are going at it is NO different than the earlier days when People did the same thing as when Microsoft got out there and did the operating system.

* THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS AND THOSE ARE THAT VERY FEW LINUX/UBUNTU USERS ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE OBSERVATIONS ABOVE AND IF YOU ARE ONE, I CONGRATULATE YOU ON BEING NON OF THE ABOVE...

1. I've seen this, even here, but not as much here as I've seen it elsewhere.
2. Relatively accurate, however, the comparison of when microsoft was starting out is a bit off as "back in the day" when there were many os's that were quite alike and MS was one of them they didn't have to compete against the MS of today.
3. I've seen this in a bad, bad way, even here. But mostly from the very very few individuals, not the norm
4. True all around, it's said because it's true. Linux isn't windows, learn linux or stay with windows. Linux is about choice and is free if you have time to learn it. Might sound harsh but the truth hurts sometimes.
5. Haven't seen that here except for threads that sound like bashing linux from the start, In a linux forum that's going to be defended critically.
6. Would like to see an example of this that's not already covered in the above listing. I never judge anyone by what they say they are, but how they are.
7. Don't see how this can be validated unless you're around a linux user 100% of the time, and if they are hateful 99.99 percent of the time why would you stay around said person. (maybe a bit sarcastic but so was the issue replied to).

All in all my personal experience for posting questions and such are not so great here, many things I asked didn't get answered. I did, however, get 99% of all my problems solved here simply by using the search option supplied by these forums. So many problems could be resolves much quicker if the user in question took the time to search on their own a bit.

Ultra Magnus
September 4th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Man! By the sounds of it we are a hateful bunch!

Kingsley
September 4th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Shut up and go back to Windowz!

Dr Small
One would think, but I have found the Linux community quite courteous, compared to some other forums I have been to.

Dr Small

Bachstelze

Sorry to shatter your dreams but not everyone in the Linux world is kind and gentle... If bapoumba comes by here, she'll tell you what happened to me once, after just mentioning in a Linux chatroom that I always use the BSD license for any code I write.

Fonon
September 4th, 2007, 01:43 AM
You'll find that a Windows user is a lot more cranky than we are ;)

For all the reasons you have posted on here, it is depending on the person. Except for the "Linux is not Windows" bit. Face it, it isn't. If it was, it would be called Windows.

Dr Small
September 4th, 2007, 01:45 AM
I'm very impressed with the maturity of the responses so far, given the flamebait in the first post.
Flamebait? That's exactly what the Linux community needs, to get *hot* for linux again :p

Ultra Magnus
September 4th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Sorry to shatter your dreams but not everyone in the Linux world is kind and gentle... If bapoumba comes by here, she'll tell you what happened to me once, after just mentioning in a Linux chatroom that I always BSD-license my code.

I can imagine that didn't go down well with some people - I know not everyone is nice or helpful - but I've never been told to RTFM or anything

PS - Not a big fan of st Paul but corithians 13 is one of my favourite passages

picpak
September 4th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Man, I don't know what Linux forums you've been on lately, but for me it's been the complete opposite: these forums have some of the nicest people I've seen, while the other ones are full of jerks!

I mean, take this thread for example. We all could've attacked you...but we didn't. That speaks volumes.

And, just to make up for the lack of bashing in this thread:

stfu n00b! if u have to question everything ur not a REAL linux user. LOL what r u doing with ubuntu anyway? such a baby os, real men use gentoo, spending countless hours compiling things to get a 0.01% speed increase is worth it. ur flaming isn't, go back to ******* LOLOL!!!1

Mike-e
September 4th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Well im pretty new to linux and have found nothing but help, support and good advice here and with fellow linux users

musn't have met any of the bad ones yet :)

would happily have a beer with anyone off here

isaacj87
September 4th, 2007, 01:53 AM

In some ways I agree with you. But I don't think it's really fair to make generalizations like this. It's unfair to people like me who aren't mean! I know there are some out there that want to stick their noses in the air like they're better than you, but it's better just to take the high road. If you let them **** you off, then they win. So let's all just try to get along! Cause we're all one big Ubuntu/Linux family...:)

Ultra Magnus
September 4th, 2007, 01:57 AM
stfu n00b! if u have to question everything ur not a REAL linux user. LOL what r u doing with ubuntu anyway? such a baby os, real men use gentoo, spending countless hours compiling things to get a 0.01% speed increase is worth it. ur flaming isn't, go back to ******* LOLOL!!!1

LOL!!!!!!1111!!!one!!!111 Just because he's not |337 3n0u6h7 70 u53 |1nux!!!!1111!!

wersdaluv
September 4th, 2007, 02:00 AM

You want to share who/what made you say those?

Bachstelze
September 4th, 2007, 02:01 AM

You're just ridiculous. Just because you don't understand what Gentoo is all about doesn't give you the right to spit on it - and it's users, myself included - as you do.

What was I saying, already ?

picpak
September 4th, 2007, 02:03 AM
You're just ridiculous. Just because you don't understand what Gentoo is all about doesn't give you the right to spit on it - and it's users, myself included - as you do.

No offense to Gentoo users, I just needed an elitist OS. I'd do Debian, but in a way it'd be dissing Ubuntu, which just wouldn't work.

starcraft.man
September 4th, 2007, 02:20 AM

What I observed about nowshining (from your first post):

1) Seems to believe unproven generalizations equate with reality.
2) Doesn't like proving certain claims (especially 2, introducing Microsoft to the rant).
3) Needs to learn to capitalize proper nouns (Linux, Ubuntu, Windows, etc...) and words that begin sentences.
4) Seems to think a vocal/bad minority represents the majority, sounds familiar...
5) Doest not appear to grasp human nature as some remarks undoubtedly apply to all communities.

Am I close? Boy I hope so, I love these games :).

On a more serious note, if you see 5 (like any other community, there are bad apples) report to an admin/mod. 6 and 7 just flat out don't seem to apply (certainly not to the majority).

RAV TUX
September 4th, 2007, 02:51 AM
I won't line item respond to the OP.

I do believe your both wrong and right but your generalizations are way off overall.

What happens when an A-hole starts using Linux?
He's still an A-hole.

So keep in mind that using Linux does not change a person to become kind and respectable to all those who also use or show interest in Linux.

These people exist everywhere in Life...some drive a Toyota, Some drink StarBucks Coffee, some use Apple Computers, Some use Windows, Some us Linux, etc, etc.

What happens when a Racist starts using Ubuntu?
He's still a Racist. As this guy (http://www.whitebuntu.org/) proves.

It takes something much deeper in ones life for them to change from being an A-hole or Racist. This is a very extreme illustration but you get the idea.

Overall I find that the Ubuntu community is pretty open and tolerant, they accept or put up with and help me out. An X-Ubuntu users who calls ubuntuforums home.
I am one of their own here, hang out long enough and you can be too.

Ubuntuforums is more like a big busy city, the long time residents can be very friendly, and the Mayor and Police keep the place a wonderful place to live. I have been involved in some cool small communities that are even friendlier like a small town; Wolvix, and Yoper for instance. I have also seen political upheavels completely change a user base and distro community for better or for worse who knows? like Sabayon for instance.

My X-brother-in-law is Swiss and works for HP, and is an arrogant anti-semitic A-hole windows user but this says nothing about Windows users again the individual just happens to be an ***.

Anyway, I hope my point has been made, and I hope you find the positive attributes in our wonderful community here. Of Course there are A-holes and politics can exist, but there are also some really great people here and ubuntuforums is a wonderfully warm and welcoming community much like fedora forums. We all come from different backgrounds and are geographically dispersed globally but we manage to enjoy our time here. Some may find me a bit eccentric, I was this way before and after I used Linux.

I just reinstalled Windows after more then 2 years of using Linux exclusively, I now dual boot to XP & Foresight. I have replaced my old Ubuntu computer with PC-BSD that I plan to give to my parents...

Keep an open mind and don't make judgments about people based on their OS of preference, there is much more that makes up who we are.

Remember to see the potential of the cup to be overflowing!...instead of half empty of half full or even worse don't see it as; 'who the heck left the cup laying there anyway someone could knock it over and cut themselves'.

Coexist, and have a wonderful day ;)

nowshining
September 4th, 2007, 02:52 AM
if you Don't bash/dash/beat up then it doesn't apply to you that's why i put

"* THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS AND THOSE ARE THAT VERY FEW LINUX/UBUNTU USERSARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE OBSERVATIONS ABOVE AND IF YOU ARE ONE, ICONGRATULATE YOU ON BEING NON OF THE ABOVE..."

and yes everything can go the other way around i am not dissing that at all and I totally agree with you on that..

nowshining
September 4th, 2007, 02:54 AM
by the way what I said last post means that if it can be had on the other platform users and u argue that to your grave YOU ARE NO DIFFERENT THEN THEM AND NO BETTER AT ANY RATE..

notwen
September 4th, 2007, 02:57 AM
I won't say that I agree with you, but I certainly do not disagree with you. =]

kjjw101401
September 4th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Personally I moved to Linux 6 months ago after toying around with fiesty for a few months. I actually accidently erased my recovery partition and was not going to pay 50 bucks for new copies of my os(XP). So I dove in and researched ubuntu forums and got a lot of help from the people on here and have yet to have a bad experience.

Just an FYI, I am completey ignorant to any of the command line of linux and have been able with help from people on here to set up compiz on an ati card with no problem in no time. I personally think the Ubuntu Community and linux community have been excelent ambassadors to the cause of spreading open source. I no longer feel like I am being held hostage by the big companys.AKA Microsoft

p_quarles
September 4th, 2007, 03:08 AM
My own observations:
-These forums get a lot of trolls coming through and saying things like "Linux is stupid because it's not compatible with Windows." This usually provokes a response such as "Okay, have fun with your spyware." I confess to having responded that way to a couple posts myself, and in hindsight I think it was silly of me to engage. That said, I honestly believe that Windows is a perfectly good operating system if you know how to keep yourself secure. That standard response is, I think, more defensiveness than an intent to bash Windows. (note, though, that I will happily bash legalized monopolies and software patents; those are separate issues from whether Windows is a good OS).

-There are, in fact, a number of FOSS zealots here and in other support forums. I got scolded here just yesterday for suggesting that someone concerned about Google's privacy record could use a simple Firefox extension as a workaround. This relates to HTL's point a few posts back, I think. While I consider the GPL to be a better license for many projects, I wouldn't think of flaming someone for choosing the BSD or any other license. I'm a big fan of FOSS, but I put the emphasis on "free as in freedom," which means I don't have the moral authority to make decisions for other fully competent adult human beings.

-As for ----edit: some ---- Linux users being "hateful," I think a better term would be pointlessly arrogant. It's a new case of the narcissism of minor differences: van guard thinkers isolated from the mainstream form huge rifts over little disagreements.

-Linux users love Bash. And rightly so. :)

/2cents

Frak
September 4th, 2007, 03:08 AM
I agree, there is WAY too much anti-MS/Bill Gates talk.

Some Linux users can be hateful, I'vent seen any on these forums that got away with it.
Seriously, check the BSD (Unix) forums. They are the most Elitist people I have ever seen. Sorry, but its true. They will critisize you for using anything BUT Unix.

Windows != Linux != Windows

Linux community to me is nicer than the Windows elitist community which is nicer than the BSD community. IMHO.

Linux users can be hateful 5%< of the time. Linux elitist can be hateful 99.99% of the time.

P.S. I don't actively use Linux. Only Windows and OSX.

GerryB
September 4th, 2007, 03:19 AM
2. they claim how wonderful ubuntu is .....

It's a forum. You sound like somebody complaining about too many commercials on TV. Just take what can help you personally and forget the rest. There is never just one answer. It's a sounding board for you, a mouth-off for others and just plain entertainment for many. You can't say it's not well organized and set-up to help people very quickly and to go straight to the heart of the matter. Personally, I think it's a great forum with lots of room for free speech. To each his own opinion.

Bachstelze
September 4th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Seriously, check the BSD (Unix) forums. They are the most Elitist people I have ever seen. Sorry, but its true. They will critisize you for using anything BUT Unix.

This surprises me. I'm on no BSD forum but I'm on a few Free- and OpenBSD mailing lists, and no one is bashed there, ever. I guess that's because forums are more "user-friendly" than mailing-lists, I'd bet the people who bashed you in fact knew very little more than you. If you have questions about a BSD, ask on the mailing lists and you'll find the "real" people, those who know enough not to bash people just for the software they use.

Frak
September 4th, 2007, 03:27 AM
This surprises me. I'm on no BSD forum but I'm on a few Free- and OpenBSD mailing lists, and no one is bashed there, ever. I guess that's because forums are more "user-friendly" than mailing-lists, I'd bet the people who bashed you in fact knew very little more than you. If you have questions about a BSD, ask on the mailing lists and you'll find the "real" people, those who know enough not to bash people just for the software they use.
I started to do that after awhile. I asked the PC-BSD forums on how to configure grub to boot to BSD and they bashed me for using Linux and "An inferior, crappy, bootloader".
I don't think I've seen anything good from them, so if I ever need help, I'll come here. I've had much better help here than anywhere.

macogw
September 4th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Mac users, never.

I wanna meet the Mac users YOU know.

We just know what we like REALLY well. If you want your computer to behave more Mac-ish or more Windows-ish while using Linux, you can make it look like that. I can't really make a Mac or Windows feel more like GNOME or Enlightenment or get them to use focus-follows-mouse. To me, not having virtual desktops / workspaces and not having focus-follows-mouse is the same as completely sucking, so I say Macs and Windows suck. They don't have environments in which I can comfortably work. Windows is better than OSX for me, but neither feels right.

Frak
September 4th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Hello, I'm a Mac user. Happy to meet you :)

macogw
September 4th, 2007, 05:13 AM

My FreeBSD-using friend is always telling me I have to use FreeBSD because it's so much better than Linux. I told him I'd try it some time, but I haven't. I really doubt I'd see a difference at all. The main differences are kernel-level (meaning the apps and binutils are pretty much the same so who cares?), and well....I don't hack the kernel.

steveneddy
September 4th, 2007, 05:17 AM

So? Is there a point to this?

ticopelp
September 4th, 2007, 05:18 AM
I'm totally fine with people criticizing Linux, as long as they have valid reasons. The OS has some real shortcomings, and I accept that. But when someone posts in the Testimonials thread with "I glanced at the Feisty install disc and it KILLED MY DOG, UBUNTU SUX," I can't really get behind them on that.

But for the most part, I've found people here are tremendously helpful and giving with their time and expertise -- much more so than almost anywhere I've been on the Internet. I think there are a LOT more helpful people than unhelpful people, and a lot more polite, giving folks than those who like to flame and insult.

As for bashing Windows -- I've been putting up with MS's crap since 1995, I've earned the right to hate the OS. ;)

macogw
September 4th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Hello, I'm a Mac user. Happy to meet you :)

haha most of the mac users I know are *very* elitist about their computers, not just the OS, but the hardware as well. At first I thought I'd agree on hardware, but then I touched one of their keyboards, and they're worse than Dell's. The Gateway 2000 keyboard from like 1992 that was with the 486 we got rid of at work is the only keyboard I've tried that was worse than an Apple one, so...yeah. I also just cannot stand Aqua. I really wish they'd let you *gasp* actually configure your environment to fit how you work! Most Mac users try to tell me "it's really easy, easier than anything else," but I find the way it does a lot of things to be very...wow, were they high when they did this? For example, to turn off iPhoto's autostart "feature" (*cough*notafeature*cough*), the setting isn't in iPhoto or a central "media devices" preferences area. Anyway though, I know a Mac user who was aghast that I said he'd need a USB dongle to use a separate IR remote with his MacBook (it's not a MBP) because "it's a Mac. It should just work with Bluetooth, because everything should." /me slaps Dijon. They get this "I'm better than you because I wasted $1000 extra on my computer" thing, and then claim it's worth it because Macs last longer than [what they call] "PCs" (Mac == PC), but that's complete and total BS. I have a 9 year old computer that runs perfectly well. And, Apple's extended warranties, according to one of my Mac-using friends, don't have accidental damage protection (given that no computer will crap out within the first year or even 3, accidental damage is the **only** reason to have a warranty....oops, I spilled my tea).

macogw
September 4th, 2007, 05:26 AM

Not kidding at all, a Gentoo user *did* say something very similar to me the day I met him at my school's Open Source Initiative chapter. He's also the jerkface who said my poor-note-taking skills wouldn't hinder me being secretary for our Association for Computing Machinery chapter because "secretary is women's work," so his opinion counts for well....negative amounts.

Frak
September 4th, 2007, 05:35 AM
haha most of the mac users I know are *very* elitist about their computers, not just the OS, but the hardware as well. At first I thought I'd agree on hardware, but then I touched one of their keyboards, and they're worse than Dell's. The Gateway 2000 keyboard from like 1992 that was with the 486 we got rid of at work is the only keyboard I've tried that was worse than an Apple one, so...yeah. I also just cannot stand Aqua. I really wish they'd let you *gasp* actually configure your environment to fit how you work! Most Mac users try to tell me "it's really easy, easier than anything else," but I find the way it does a lot of things to be very...wow, were they high when they did this? For example, to turn off iPhoto's autostart "feature" (*cough*notafeature*cough*), the setting isn't in iPhoto or a central "media devices" preferences area. Anyway though, I know a Mac user who was aghast that I said he'd need a USB dongle to use a separate IR remote with his MacBook (it's not a MBP) because "it's a Mac. It should just work with Bluetooth, because everything should." /me slaps Dijon. They get this "I'm better than you because I wasted $1000 extra on my computer" thing, and then claim it's worth it because Macs last longer than [what they call] "PCs" (Mac == PC), but that's complete and total BS. I have a 9 year old computer that runs perfectly well. And, Apple's extended warranties, according to one of my Mac-using friends, don't have accidental damage protection (given that no computer will crap out within the first year or even 3, accidental damage is the **only** reason to have a warranty....oops, I spilled my tea).
I'm running OSx86 because I need some apps for work.

I own a Mac Pro that hasn't been turned on in 1 1/2 months. I used the disc that came with it.

Not that much of a Mac fan.

acowboydave
September 4th, 2007, 05:47 AM
I am new to Linux and I still use XP, only been bashed once for it. The help I asked for was always given and fast I might say. You should ask the same Questions in A MS forum and see what kind of response you get there. I would love to see that. Oh but reverse the roll

Foxmike
September 4th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Man, I don't know what Linux forums you've been on lately, but for me it's been the complete opposite: these forums have some of the nicest people I've seen, while the other ones are full of jerks!

I mean, take this thread for example. We all could've attacked you...but we didn't. That speaks volumes.

And, just to make up for the lack of bashing in this thread:

Hey, man, you should give Gentoo a try before to say... I must say that I get more than 0.01% gain over ubuntu with it...

HermanAB
September 4th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Aaaaagh jeez, stop feeding the Trolls.

DjBones
September 4th, 2007, 07:14 AM
this does actually explain pretty well why i've been hissing at my parents and never go outside but stay inside to only further concoct my maliscious schemes to unleash upon mankind on my blood red linux box (evil-buntu, personal distro of choice).

maybe thats just me haha

im sure you'll feel better after a candy-bar?
want a sooo-da?

karellen
September 4th, 2007, 07:30 AM
5, 6 and 7 are definitely not true, not here at least, in ubuntuforums

jrusso2
September 4th, 2007, 07:43 AM
The Ubuntu forum has to be one of the least offensive I have ever seen. Try using the old nntp newsgroups. Thats what we had to deal with when I started and you often got RTFM.

Celegorm
September 4th, 2007, 08:21 AM
I disagree, these forums are some of the friendliest I've been on. I know in your response you pointed out that you said there are exceptions, but I find that the bad apples on these forums are the ones who are the exceptions. Sure, there is a bit of MS bashing, but then, a lot of people switch to other operating systems such as Ubuntu because they have had bad experiences with windows. I'm sure there's a high concentration of windows-haters in any non-windows OS. At least we don't get our pitchforks out at the slightest mention of windows :twisted: