PDA

View Full Version : Going back to school tomorrow

condawg
September 3rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
Well, I'm going back to school tomorrow...
Going into my first year of high school.
I can't wait, personally... Even though I didn't get any of my desired electives for the first semester, I'm excited to be with my friends again.
I got some crappy electives, some by default for a freshman, but they'll be easy 'A's, so that'll help improve the overall look of my report card ;)
The lunch choices at the high school are much broader than at the middle school, so I'm very excited about that. I love lunchtime... best period in the whole day.
Check it out. (http://www.oxford.k12.pa.us/Menus/HSmenu.htm)
And my brother graduated last year, so he pointed out the cool teachers on my schedule...
Most of them are pretty good, a few are a bit too strict, but all in all I have decent teachers.
I was on vacation during the orientation so I have no idea where any of my classes are, so I'll be lost for the first few days... and then after that I'll be 'lost' for about a week (hanging with friends in the hallway... unfortunately, we have different classes for the most part. One or two classes with friends to my knowledge :( )

mips
September 3rd, 2007, 11:54 PM
The lunch choices at the high school are much broader than at the middle school, so I'm very excited about that. I love lunchtime... best period in the whole day.
Check it out. (http://www.oxford.k12.pa.us/Menus/HSmenu.htm)

Thats only something I ever saw on US tv programs. Kids getting food at school. We had to pack our own lunch boxes but we had a small tucshop at school which sold cool drinks, chips, sweets etc.

Your choices sure as hell beat my peanut butter & jam, cheese, cheese & jam, marmite sandwiches I used to get which I actually ate on the bus on the way to school. The only thing I really cherished from the tucshop was the long ice suckers & the cold cokes & stuff as the place I went to was hot as hell.

Coldkill
September 4th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Try going back to the 12th grade for a second year in a row :(
How I am not looking forward to tomorrow.

Billy_McBong
September 4th, 2007, 12:51 AM
i started my senior year last week :)
being a freshman sucks, but its definitely better than middle school

condawg
September 4th, 2007, 12:58 AM
i started my senior year last week :)
being a freshman sucks, but its definitely better than middle school
And my middle school year was awesome :P
I have so many more extra cirricular doors opening for me this year...
And this is my first year with a truly independent schedule.
I'm extremely excited.
Going to bed early tonight so that I have plenty of energy... Waking up at 6 is alot earlier then I've been getting used to ;)

Dr Small
September 4th, 2007, 01:16 AM
I started school one month and 3 days ago.
By the way, I'm in the 11th grade ;)

Dr Small

Darkhack
September 4th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Try going back to the 12th grade for a second year in a row :(
How I am not looking forward to tomorrow.

I think you will look back on it and be proud that you went back a second time and finished. I'm a college freshman this year, but I was supposed to be a HS senior. I have some mental health issues and was ridiculed so badly in HS that I just got a GED (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Education_Development) and decided not to go back. I suppose in my situation it was a good thing because I am doing 100x better at college than I ever did in HS. In college everyone keeps to themselves and you never have to speak to anyone. In high school, everyone is always in your face and at my school, everyone was a jock and obsessed with the school's sporting events which always annoyed me. I also have older parents, both with failing health and I need to get my college degree as quickly as possible before they die or become unable to work. Otherwise I will be in serious trouble trying to find a stable income. Ideally though, I would have liked to stay in school and finish along with the rest of my class. People can be so hurtful at times though.

* For those living outside the US and who aren't familiar with our naming scheme..
9th grade - Freshman
10th grade - Sophomore
11th grade - Junior
12th grade - Senior

When someone uses these titles at the college level, it refers to what year they are in college. First year is freshman, fourth year is senior, and beyond that you just say "5th year student". I point this out because I have spoken with people online before that were completely clueless to this naming scheme. I don't believe Europe has these titles.

PurposeOfReason
September 4th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Starting senior year on Wednesday, all of one class. Calculus. Everything else is taken at the local community college for dual credit. I mean, if the state wants to pay for it, I say let them. :)

ButteBlues
September 4th, 2007, 03:01 AM
I started my senior year August 30 of this year.

Henaro
September 4th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Freshmen are gay. Class of 08' ftw.

But seriously, freshmen are so tiny and easy to make fun of. They have high-pitched/cracking voices and they have to look up to you. Also they have to look forward to boring courses such as World History, US History, Political Science and Geography (I hate social studies courses). Oh and they have to eat in the cafeteria with the sophomores and juniors. Not to mention they have to goto every class every day. Unlike seniors who can eat any where on campus and don't have to pay attention to a lot of classes because they are easy "throw-away" classes. In reality, I only have to pass three classes this year. And those are Trig, World Lit and US History (I failed first semester last year :( ).

I started school three weeks ago. But in middle school we would go back after labor day.

So yeah sucks to be you, freshman. Enjoy Friday.

ButteBlues
September 4th, 2007, 03:14 AM

But seriously, freshmen are so tiny and easy to make fun of. They have high-pitched/cracking voices and they have to look up to you. Also they have to look forward to boring courses such as World History, US History, Political Science and Geography (I hate social studies courses). Oh and they have to eat in the cafeteria with the sophomores and juniors. Not to mention they have to goto every class every day. Unlike seniors who can eat any where on campus and don't have to pay attention to a lot of classes because they are easy "throw-away" classes. In reality, I only have to pass three classes this year. And those are Trig, World Lit and US History (I failed first semester last year :( ).

I started school three weeks ago. But in middle school we would go back after labor day.

Some of us actually took a hard load for the Senior year. ;)

AP Music Theory
AP Bio
AP Calc
AP Lit

The rest is easy stuff (Internships + Band).

Frak
September 4th, 2007, 03:15 AM
I started work at the HS I work at just 3 weeks ago. Great job, I almost never do anything. Last year I skipped work for 3 days and nobody knew I was gone.

Great being an IT/Computer Technician at a HS.

EDIT

Passed all those classes my Sophomore year. Boring Senior Year though. Votech didn't offer much.

stmiller
September 4th, 2007, 03:21 AM
There's a lot of crap to deal with in HS. Just be yourself.

And it doesn't matter how long it takes you. If you go onto college, you'll be sitting in a class with people who are 18, 35, 27, and 24 years old around you. :)

Frak
September 4th, 2007, 03:29 AM
There's a lot of crap to deal with in HS. Just be yourself.

And it doesn't matter how long it takes you. If you go onto college, you'll be sitting in a class with people who are 18, 35, 27, and 24 years old around you. :)
Very true.

mips
September 4th, 2007, 09:38 AM
* For those living outside the US and who aren't familiar with our naming scheme..
9th grade - Freshman
10th grade - Sophomore
11th grade - Junior
12th grade - Senior

When someone uses these titles at the college level, it refers to what year they are in college. First year is freshman, fourth year is senior, and beyond that you just say "5th year student". I point this out because I have spoken with people online before that were completely clueless to this naming scheme. I don't believe Europe has these titles.

Thanks for that explenation as I was about to ask ;) Where do these names come from as I think they are unique to the USA ?

Why do you call it college and not school ? Over here college is something you do after school (12th grade) similair to university. Although you could in theory start going to college here after grade 10 but I think they are putting a stop to that now as they want to make school compulsory for 12yrs.

Over here you go to Primary school for grades 1-7 and you go to High school for grades 8-12

Darkhack
September 5th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Where do these names come from as I think they are unique to the USA ?

I do not know where those titles originate from or what other countries use them. I tried googling for some stuff but couldn't find anything on the origins of these words.

Why do you call it college and not school ? Over here college is something you do after school (12th grade) similair to university.

We do call it school. College/University is school. Although in the United States, the words college and university are used almost interchangeably. Most Americans don't even know the difference between the two and think of them as two words with the same meaning. Most people who do go beyond high school will either go into vocational schools (a school that is not for college credit but teaches skills used in jobs like auto mechanic, electrician, etc..), community colleges, or universities. A community college is a two year college (used to get the core classes out of the way) that is funded by tax-payers of the local area. The advantage to a community college is that it is cheaper because they get more tax-payer money for things and most credits transfer to major universities. I'm on my first year at the local community college where I live. College is just an umbrella term for community colleges and universities here.

Over here you go to Primary school for grades 1-7 and you go to High school for grades 8-12

We have pre-school which is optional. Then we have elementary school which is kindergarten, followed by grades 1-6. Next we have middle school, which is sometimes called "Junior High" although that phrase is slowly fading away and not being used much anymore and it is grades 7 and 8. Then high school is 9-12 where the titles are used.

Frak
September 5th, 2007, 10:08 PM
In some schools in the US, we have:
Elementary School (Pre-K-3)
Intermediate School (4-6)
Jr. High (7-8)
High School (9-12)

Andrewie
September 5th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I'm starting my first year of computer science :D The first language I get to learn is C# :(