PDA

View Full Version : Sending registration data *without* a browser

Acglaphotis
September 3rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
Hlow would i go and send registration data over the internet with python or a shell script?

-Thanks

ryno519
September 3rd, 2007, 10:20 PM
Hlow would i go and send registration data over the internet with python or a shell script?

-Thanks

I suppose if you used a shell script you could just send a query string to the registration validation address using lynx. If you did it with python you could probably find an http library that would be able to do this kind of thing pretty easily.

Mirrorball
September 3rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
Registration or login? Also you are not trying to create a spam script, are you?

Acglaphotis
September 3rd, 2007, 10:29 PM
im trying to see if it can be done and how much it would impact a server, since im planning on mounting a website and i wanna see how apache would take something like that, because the server isnt exactly a top computer and i know some people who would like to spam my server if they had a chance. Sorry for not being clear.

Mirrorball
September 3rd, 2007, 10:35 PM
It definitely can be done.

ryno519
September 3rd, 2007, 10:38 PM
im trying to see if it can be done and how much it would impact a server, since im planning on mounting a website and i wanna see how apache would take something like that, because the server isnt exactly a top computer and i know some people who would like to spam my server if they had a chance. Sorry for not being clear.

As I said, something like

lynx http://url.com?username=foo&password=bar&email=foo@bar.com

will send the request. Just stick that inside of a loop in a bash script and that might do the trick. This of course assumes that your registration script uses GET queries instead of POST. You could still do the post queries with lynx, but it might just be easier to change the type of queries you use for the purpose of testing.

nanotube
September 3rd, 2007, 11:55 PM
for python, you can look into the Browser class from the "mechanize" module. (google it)

but... about your server and stuff - if you suspect you'll be spammed a lot, that's why you put up a captcha for registration.