PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Quanta on ubuntu

ihot
August 4th, 2005, 01:09 AM
I see quanta on KDE is nice and i would like to try it, but Quanta on KDE platform, and i use gnome. can quanta working/run on gnome platform? Thank you.

Dogmeat
August 4th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Yes you can, just get the packages 'quanta' and 'quanta-data' from synaptic, and it will automagically get all the necessary KDE libs for you.

Hikaru79
August 4th, 2005, 03:13 AM
What dogmeat says is true, but if you'd rather not get all sorts of kde libraries installed on a Gnome machine, consider Nvu. It's similar to quanta, based on Mozilla Composer, and a quite useful tool in its own right :) There's always alternatives!

Dogmeat
August 4th, 2005, 05:48 PM
I tried to use NVU these days, to edit a site I made. However I only had SSH access to the site, and NVU doesn't support it so I was disappointed. I tried using SHFS + NVU but the site looked totally weird some stuff didn't load etc. PHP code I had made simply didn't appear (only the HTML part). As if this wasn't enough, when I tried saving a file it screwed up my identation. I know I'm a newbie, maybe there's a way to go around most of this stuff but I just couldn't find it.

At the moment I'm using SHFS + apache2 + bluefish to edit this site on the fly, and it works great. You just can't see the changes like you can in NVU, but it has a preview button that loads up your browser so it's just a click away.

Based on my experience I recommend Bluefish over NVU any day.

KingBahamut
August 5th, 2005, 03:31 PM
bluefish is yet another alternative.

apt-get install bluefish