PDA

View Full Version : Got another MP3 player: Sansa e260

jdong
September 3rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
Well, I needed a more portable player than my iPod Video for when I'm on the go. This time, I wanted something flash-based that would stand up to more abuse. Also, I've fallen in love with Rockbox's customizability, and wanted something with rockbox compatibility.

The best match for me was the Sansa series... picked up a e260 4GB unit for $80USD and loaded Rockbox on it.

Installing Rockbox was extremely easy -- there are instructions for doing it on Linux, Windows, and OS X, so all bases are covered.

Audio quality is good... It's not as fantastic as my iPod Video -- when the player is refilling its buffer every 20 minutes, you can hear a little bit of electrical noise for a few seconds. That is the only thing stopping me from calling the audio "excellent". Of course, in a unit of this size, electrical interference is almost an expected fact.

FM Radio and record features are excellent. I find myself recording the radio and when not using the player, then playing it back later on. (I also get the feeling that might not be legal :D)

As far as video, the Original Firmware's video abilities are pretty mediocre. It supports MJPEG in MOV containers at 15fps, which is IMO only good for short clips, not anything serious. In Rockbox, the Rockbox video player does mpeg-2 video and mp3 audio in 224x176 at 25fps just fine. I've tested loading up an hour of Mythbusters onto it, and it worked satisfactorily. The screen is small for extended video watching though.

Overall, it was a good spend of 80 bucks for me. Music loads on just like a USB thumb drive, and I've not had a single issue with compatibility with Windows, Linux, or OS X. Right now I'm customizing a rockbox build to my tastes, modeling it after the "cpchan" build, though I'm synchronized to the latest Subversion.

jcconnor
September 4th, 2007, 01:31 AM
FM Radio and record features are excellent. I find myself recording the radio and when not using the player, then playing it back later on. (I also get the feeling that might not be legal :D)

Subversion.

Actually that falls under fair use. Breathe easy, brother, breathe easy!

John

jdong
September 4th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Well fantastic! *sets up his sansa to record again*

ButteBlues
September 4th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Well fantastic! *sets up his sansa to record again*
Are you using the original headphones or more expensive ones?

I've heard with the original firmware, the feedback is only an issue when it's turned WAY down.

jdong
September 4th, 2007, 03:46 AM
I have both original and a pair of Bose triport in-ears. Both sound decent (though of course the Bose sounds better)

The feedback is actually much much harder to hear with the Bose earphones, maybe because the impedance is higher and the noise is not picked up.

Kingsley
September 4th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Which store did you get it from? I may be interested in getting one some time but Walmart charges $40 more than how much you got yours for.

jdong
September 4th, 2007, 03:52 AM
I got it refurbished, at buy.com

Spr0k3t
September 14th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Just picked up an e250 refurb for $35. Nice and cheap they are. I should have picked up a couple.