PDA

View Full Version : Web IDE?

Dylnuge
September 3rd, 2007, 06:08 PM
Hello,

I am looking for a good Web IDE on Linux. I have tried Bluefish and Quanta, both of which I like. I hand-code websites, but also need graphic design (I used Fireworks and Photoshop on Windows, is GIMP an alright alternative to both?) for creating comps, logos, and more. I have looked at Aptana-I like what I have seen, but there are no hand-coding demos. Which of the three (Bluefish, Quanta, Aptana) is best, and why? Or is there something else I have not yet seen?

-Dylan

PS: I assume there are absolutely no equivalents to proprietary technology like Flash. If there are (even if they are also prop.), I would like to know about them as well.

Mirrorball
September 3rd, 2007, 06:21 PM
I prefer a simple text editor for HTML (kate). But you might want to download Komodo Edit, it's pretty good. For graphic design, GIMP and Krita are both alternatives to Photoshop and Fireworks. They are less advanced than commercial programs, but it's all I use and it's good enough for me. If you prefer, Photoshop 7 runs well on wine. There is no Linux equivalent to Flash.

Dylnuge
September 3rd, 2007, 08:20 PM
I don't have PS7 (or an older version) available, same with Flash (I hear Flash 5 is the last compatable version).

VMWare should run Flash fine. I am downloading Apanta and checking it out.

Note360
September 3rd, 2007, 09:16 PM
I use (I code primarially in php5) emacs, nothing beats it for me (do note I used to be a vim evangelist and I still use both). Emacs + a Terminal + a Thunar window if I need visualization of the trees (sometimes this is necessary for programming languages) + a Swiftweasle window. Swift Weasle goes on a different desktop to reduce clutter Terminal Emacs and Thunar stay in the same desktop and Gimp goes in yet another desktop.

I also like Screem, that is a nice web IDE and Bluefish and Quanta are both excellent. I have never tried apanta, I think i shall try that out.

Dylnuge
September 4th, 2007, 02:17 AM
I just tried aptana and love it. It is an Eclipse based IDE, making it familiar (I use Eclipse for Java and once used Flex Builder, which is another Eclipse based IDE from Adobe). The only problems I have are the absence of a create XHTML page button (you need to click Create HTML page and then swap out the DTD) and the lack of a spell checker. Other then that, I think I just found my IDE (the iPhone plugin which allows you to preview the page on an virtual iPhone is alright, but IMHO a mobile plugin which allows you to preview the mobile css version on virtual phone would be better-in fact, being able to preview all CSS versions without changing the code would be nice).

What is SwiftWeasle and Thunar?

Note360
September 4th, 2007, 03:02 AM
swiftweaske is a faster version of firefox for debian and thunar is the xfce file manager I like it better than nautilus

mridkash
September 4th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Flash 8 pro runs fine on wine

Also dreamweaver 8 runs great, its one of the platinum programs in the wine.

But, I use bluefish editor for html, cssed for css and gimp for images, all are fine.

My advice, dont just jump into the program and try to do something, you'll get frustrated. Instead, take a look on online docs to understand the things first.

Note360
September 4th, 2007, 02:57 PM
cssed is nice. I really like that color swatch. I used to go to gimp to get my colours (I know stupid of me).

Dylnuge
September 4th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Good to know that Flash 8 runs on wine. I was considering upgrading to CS3 (there is a new version of actionscript and a lot more, after all, Adobe needs to prove they can maintain this software as well/better then Macromedia), but I don't have the money right now anyway.

fct
September 5th, 2007, 08:04 AM
I've heard good things about this one:

http://www.kompozer.net/

It's derived from NVU ( http://www.nvu.com )

Dylnuge
September 6th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Kompozer is a WISIWYG editor then anything else. Now, I don't mind WISIWYG, but unless it does code as good as or better then WISIWYG (Dreamweaver does both nicely), I don;t love them. Also, Aptana is written in Java, which means I should be able to extend it (and written in Eclipse). Not sure what Kompozer is written in, but I believe it is C++ or C (which, to be honest, I am not so fresh on. I don't get language choice in my CS classes, and since Java is the teacher's choice, I stick with it. I also like Python.)

timmie
September 11th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I recommend you to use
Aptana : The Web IDE (http://www.aptana.com/)

Good luck!

Dylnuge
September 12th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Um...

Thanks for the advice, but if you read my posts, you would see I already tried, and liked Aptana.