PDA

View Full Version : Best Linux Distribution that works by default on a Tablet Computer?

RAV TUX
September 3rd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Which is the best Linux Distro that simply works by default with the Wacom pen enabled tablet computer, specifically with an active digitizer pen?

Spr0k3t
September 3rd, 2007, 06:16 PM
does such a distro exist? Most of the distros I've tried have been very lacking with the tablet setup by default.

RAV TUX
September 3rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
does such a distro exist? Most of the distros I've tried have been very lacking with the tablet setup by default.

My point exactly, the only OS I know of that was specifically built for a Tablet Computer is Windows XP Tablet Edition.

mirosol
May 7th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Just read that there's some company offering full support for tablets on suse.. I'm going to test beta of opensuse 11 today, to see if it knows anything about my wacom active digitizer.

Somehow it's odd that there's no distro specialized in this.. I think there would be people interested in that kind of distribution.

p.s. Eight hours later, and still no luck with my HP tx2020 and ubuntu 8.04. Still not going back M$...

Cifra
May 7th, 2008, 04:02 PM
http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/ maybe?

mirosol
May 10th, 2008, 08:40 PM
http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/ maybe?

Yeah. Been tryin with that for 3 days now. And with this thread.. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=708726

Still nothing, but i'm getting closer all the time. Even have my own tutorial thread in Ubuntu Finland Forums.

OpenSuse didn't notice my wacom by default, so it's back to linuxwacom manuals.

thommango
July 26th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I recently tried Ubuntu with my x61 tablet. I'm no linux guru, but it didn't take me very long to stumble across the right web directions to get the pen working. I did ultimately switch back to vista though, because it offered better pen support generally. Under Linux, I just didn't find the right combination of apps and utilities to make it worthwhile. In particular:

a) OO doesn't have support for pen editing, MS-Office does.
b) Gournal is about the best note application I could find, and it really doesn't begin to compete with MS OneNote.
c) Vista has excellent handwriting and voice recognition, but I could not find anything remotely comparable in Linux.

Some of these issues could have been overcome if I could get Wine or VMware working, but I fussed with both and neither would work after a few hours of attempts. So, I uninstalled Linux - again. Love Linux in theory, but I keep seeming to find that I'm simply better off living with the beast.

Siljrath
August 3rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
"I'm no linux guru, but it didn't take me very long to stumble across the right web directions to get the pen working"

would have been nice if you shared a link with those of us who aren't being so lucky in finding how to get it done. ;p i've been looking waaay too long.

Funk Phenomena
August 4th, 2008, 04:57 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=873188

This is for putting Ubuntu 64 on the HP Tablet TX2500 series with active digitizer. The followup responses include more flavors of digitizer setup.

kernelhaxor
August 4th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I wish such a distro existed .. even if not enabled by default, I would be happy if it worked after some tweaking ..

I stayed with Vista on my tablet .. It has excellent hand writing recognition much better than Windows XP Tablet edition ..

thegnark
August 4th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I wish such a distro existed .. even if not enabled by default, I would be happy if it worked after some tweaking ..

I'm quite happy with the pen/touch support in Hardy after getting the linuxwacom driver working... but yes, Vista is decades ahead in terms of support for pen flicks, writing recognition, etc

That said, using Grab and Drag and All-in-One gestures in firefox certainly works with my pen and that makes a huge difference

gali98
August 5th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Also check out cellwriter.... it is a cool app that accepts pen input and tranlates to text... it also has a built in keyboard....
BTW I have updated my wacom tutorial and everything works now...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5469447#post5469447
Kory

jasondenning
November 22nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
I know this sounds kind of fanboy, but I honestly have to say that I have had the best luck getting Ubuntu to work on Tablets. I have only attempted two - an HP/Compaq TC4400 - the tablet functionality works reasonaly well if you install Gutsy, then upgrade to Hardy. A clean Hardy install fails to detect the wacom Out-of-box. I am upgrading to Intrepid as I type this.
I have also recently gotten (most) everything working on a HP TX2500z (actual model tx2525) tablet with a clean install of intrepid, using the great tutorial by gali98 (Thanks gali98!!!!). Suspend and hibernate are problematic, and screen rotation seems to always take a bit of work... but this is not tablet specific.
In terms of apps, I like Xournal for note-taking and PDF-markup (great feature!). I don't tend to use handwriting-recognition much (I type way faster than I write), but I here cellwriter is ok for this.

Just my $.02
Jason

wersdaluv
November 22nd, 2008, 09:22 AM
Wow. Old thread's revived. I thought, Rav is back. haha

Siljrath
September 19th, 2009, 09:23 AM
i took my pen out to show a friend how my i have yet to get my pen working in linux....
..but to my surprise, it worked!!!!
seems i simply hadnt tried since upgrading to 9.04.
hurrah!
crunchbang linux (ubuntu based) 9.04 is workin happy with my lenovo x60.

all that banging my head off my keyboard in anguish trying to get it to work was for nuthin. :rolleyes:

ah well, all happy now. :D

HappinessNow
September 19th, 2009, 09:50 AM
"I'm no linux guru, but it didn't take me very long to stumble across the right web directions to get the pen working"

would have been nice if you shared a link with those of us who aren't being so lucky in finding how to get it done. ;p i've been looking waaay too long.

i took my pen out to show a friend how my i have yet to get my pen working in linux....
..but to my surprise, it worked!!!!
seems i simply hadnt tried since upgrading to 9.04.
hurrah!
crunchbang linux (ubuntu based) 9.04 is workin happy with my lenovo x60.

all that banging my head off my keyboard in anguish trying to get it to work was for nuthin. :rolleyes:

ah well, all happy now. :DWow! and it only took a little over a year.

Elfy
September 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM
closed - necromancy