PDA

View Full Version : New AMD/ATI Display Driver ?!?

renzokuken
September 3rd, 2007, 03:13 PM
I was reading this over at Phoronix

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=817&num=4

Fortunately, however, as we have been sharing for the past several months, later this year AMD will be introducing a new Linux display driver. On that day, we will be delivering benchmarks across all supported Radeon product families. Will there be a major shakeup in the performance landscape this fall?

Does this mean they are completely redoing the driver, effectively scrapping fglrx, or are they just referring to the same old updates theyve been releasing for years?

i googled around but couldnt really find anything? has anyone else heard anything?

Stone123
September 3rd, 2007, 03:31 PM
It is their courtesy , and they are doing that out of good will. They are not obliged to do it and we should be thankful for it.

ATI - 2003 .

phoronix
September 3rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
I was reading this over at Phoronix

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=817&num=4

Does this mean they are completely redoing the driver, effectively scrapping fglrx, or are they just referring to the same old updates theyve been releasing for years?

i googled around but couldnt really find anything? has anyone else heard anything?

renzokuken,

In the near future there will be a redone ATI Linux display driver. It is much more than just a simple monthly update. At Phoronix we will be providing complete coverage of this driver upon its launch with a number of different articles in the works. If you want additional details, there are some in the Phoronix Forums (phoronix.com/forums/) and on my blog at michaellarabel.com.

Best,
Michael

renzokuken
September 3rd, 2007, 03:36 PM
awesome, thanks phoronix.

so they could finally be challenging nvidia on the linux front.

phoronix
September 3rd, 2007, 03:39 PM
awesome, thanks phoronix.

so they could finally be challenging nvidia on the linux front.

You will find out in due time! Trust me, it's extremely exciting.

mips
September 3rd, 2007, 03:50 PM

Extremely exciting = open sourced ? ;)

renzokuken
September 3rd, 2007, 03:53 PM

ooooh, i'm all excited now.

does that mean you have some insider info?

wink wink