PDA

View Full Version : Why is there no Equivalent to Safeguard Easy on Linux?

TheMachinist
September 3rd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Hello Guys,

Im very pleased with Ubuntu (Running Feisty so far) but am still missing a certain feature. Some of you may know Windows Software like Securstars "Drive Crypt Plus" or Utimacos "Safeguard Easy" While this being proprietary software, having a linux equivalent would be quite contributing to Linux in general

Yes, there is Software like cryptsetup/luks that is able to encrypt your Partitions, but this is only possible with an EMPTY Partition. For comparison: On Windows you run ie. Safeguard, wait 4 hours and got an fully encrypted System, including the System Partition. On Linux however, to have the same result you have to temporarely backup your data onto another partition/harddrive, encrypt the partitions and then write back the data to it.

So, wouldnt it be nice to just have a solution run & forget, and which is able to encrypt on the fly while the system is running and without the need of having to backup your existing data?

I hope you get the idea, im not a coder so i cant contribute to it. I just wanted to throw in a suggestion that might be worthy to discuss.

23meg
September 3rd, 2007, 11:59 AM
See if this helps:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedFilesystemHowto7